New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Hi uncle Nick,

I tried your advice, I bent the wiper arm one way and the other - the juddering only got worse.

Any chance we can meet up in one of the EB so you can show me how it is done?

2. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by PATSYS50 View Post
    Hi uncle Nick,

I tried your advice, I bent the wiper arm one way and the other - the juddering only got worse.

I will try to make a point to do that.

A problem that I have in attending is that I live near San Jose, Neuva Ecija, which requires a 4 to 5 hour drive in one direction to just get there.

Meanwhile, did you view the video?

Ciao!

Uncle Nick.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    In case you were not able to find the video;

How to repair the chatter to a wiper blade on a MINI Cooper | Video « Wonder How To

Lift the entire arm assembly away from the windshield, and let us do one at a time.

Do both blades chatter?

Do they chatter going up or coming back down?

Just bear with me - we can solve this!

Ciao!

Uncle Nick.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Hi uncle Nick,

Leme share my thoughts...the contact medium between the wiper assembly and your windshield is the "blade" (oh, guys am right using the term huh?). This material is designed both for maximum thermal effects and maximum pressure induced. Hindi kaya yung blade material ay may problema?Madaling "bumigay" sa external elements? Bro,try to verify supplier.Yung unit ko 4 years na..eversince , didnt experienced such problem. Even doing parking in open heat, di ko "lift up" yung blades as many does.. Share lang... Good luck!

5. Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Wiper blades is composed of synthetic rubber that is designed to swipe across the windshield at a particular angle and not 90 degrees or else, it will not function properly, also it will sqeak. But the thing is, a brand new wiper blade is already designed in such a way like a plug n play hardaware to your pc. No need for other added methods of installation rectifications,etc. like re-aligning, etc.
    Here is what's happening to your car...
    Its all about FRICTION. You have brand new wiper blade, meaning a very clean rubber in contact with your VERY clean windshield (you said you buffed it quite a lot using Rain x rain repellant). I am not telling you that buffing your windshield with Rain X is bad, in fact it is good. Helps keep your vision clear during rainy days. But the thing is, there should be low coefficient of FRICTION between the rubber blade and the windshield (in fact, the reason why its squeaking is because the HIGH coefficient of friction between the windshield & wiper rubber CAUSES the rubber to GRIP the windshield, much like acting a rubber mat, causing it to move at 90 degrees angle which is not its designed motion), without compromising the clarity if the glass.
    How would you do this? Simple.

Try putting/applying lubricant or rubber conditioner along the contact surface of your wiper blade. But dont use oil or petroleum based types. This will surely lubricate and I WILL GUARANTEE you that the squeaking will disappear BUT prepare for the SMUDGES that it will create. Im sure you dont want that . SILICONE lubricants will do this. You can buy at Ace Hardware in SM malls. Just ask the sales there. There is also a lubricant for power windows, I think its also the same components and you may opt also to use that. Basically the same concept of stopping squeaks, instead of the rubber moving, the glass(window) is moving up or down, unlike in a wiper system that the rubber is the one moving. This will solve your problem. and not by any mechanical alterations on your system.

Feedback us here for any relevant happenings regarding this problem.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Hi uncle Nick, Sportivo and Humanhorde,

Thanks for your inputs, though honestly I am getting confused with the different approaches.

Let me reflect on this a bit...

7. Join Date
    May 2006
    Hi uncle Nick, Sportivo and Humanhorde,

Thanks for your inputs, though honestly I am getting confused with the different approaches.

Let me reflect on this a bit...
    bro, any update with your wiper issue... seems that am expriencing same.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumusut_Amige View Post
    bro, any update with your wiper issue... seems that am expriencing same.
    I followed uncle Nick's advice though it did not fix my problem straight away. I just kept of slightly bending the arm in all directions until I get to the one with the least juddering. I left it at that and as time went by, the juddering faded. It still does now, but something quite tolerable.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    try mo yung Bosch "smooth wipe" wiperblades. have had this same problem sa crosswind and tried so many ways to solve the problem. it's a matter of having a clean windshield (w/c can be done by buffing and fine grit rubbing compound) and getting the right type of rubber type for the wiper. yung "tropicalized rubber" ng bosch is not that good kase parang madaling tumigas yung blade nya kaya mabilis din mag "shudder". I think getting the softer type of rubber blades does it a better job but since it is softer, it is also less durable, since that softness of the rubber is achieved by having less crosslink density and more plasticizers added into the rubber, hence less weathering resistance. so kung gagamit ka ng softer wiper blades, be ready to either replace your wipers more frequently or tyagain mo na lang na lagi mo itatas yung wiper blades mo when you park under the sun. also, avoid parking under trees for prolonged periods. the tree sap that might drip on your windshield makes your wiper shudder too.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2011
    I followed uncle Nick's advice though it did not fix my problem straight away. I just kept of slightly bending the arm in all directions until I get to the one with the least juddering. I left it at that and as time went by, the juddering faded. It still does now, but something quite tolerable.
    try what i suggested...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Alterra rough wiper problem - still unsolved