New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Hi, may i get your expert opinion on the 2 diff. variants of D-Maxs available now. From what i understand the 2014 model 4x4 has the 3.0 4JJ1-TC iTEQ engine. The 2015 model 4x4 has the 2.5 4JK1-TC engine. Why did Isuzu go smaller enginewise? Which would be the better choice? Durability, reliability, and fuel efficiency are primary factors for me. thanks!

2. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by tanfoglio9mm View Post
    Hi, may i get your expert opinion on the 2 diff. variants of D-Maxs available now. From what i understand the 2014 model 4x4 has the 3.0 4JJ1-TC iTEQ engine. The 2015 model 4x4 has the 2.5 4JK1-TC engine. Why did Isuzu go smaller enginewise? Which would be the better choice? Durability, reliability, and fuel efficiency are primary factors for me. thanks!
    2.5vgs is under stressed. Not too many issues yet though so we dont know the long term durability. With over 50000 units in the next 3-5 years there should be enough engine parts for this pickup/mux

3. Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by StockEngine View Post
    2.5vgs is under stressed. Not too many issues yet though so we dont know the long term durability. With over 50000 units in the next 3-5 years there should be enough engine parts for this pickup/mux
    Sir, what do you mean by under stressed? specs wise, which engine would be better? larger means more powerful but less fuel efficient?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by StockEngine View Post
    Sir, what do you mean by under stressed? specs wise, which engine would be better? larger means more powerful but less fuel efficient?

4. Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Understressed meaning the engine isn't "forced" to produce excess engine power which explains the low output figures even if equipped with common rail, VGS, etc.

Same with the 3.0 4JJ1 with 90% of the engines are expected to last 500,000 Km before repairs are made.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2012
    c
    Quote Originally Posted by LancerA174A View Post
    Understressed meaning the engine isn't "forced" to produce excess engine power which explains the low output figures even if equipped with common rail, VGS, etc.

Same with the 3.0 4JJ1 with 90% of the engines are expected to last 500,000 Km before repairs are made.
    Thank you sir LancerA174A. which would be your choice between the two?

6. Join Date
    Jan 2013
    c
    Thank you sir LancerA174A. which would be your choice between the two?
    I'd still go for the 2.5, almost same lang sila ng 3.0 pero may minor revisions lang naman to make it "smaller". Plus I'd also want the extra torque from the VGS. Di naman siguro ganun ka laki difference sa real world performance with 10 less horses vs the 3.0. Sufficient na din yung 2.5 even with "just" 136 PS, plus higher torque pa.

Anyway, whichever you choose they're both from Isuzu naman Hehe

7. Join Date
    Dec 2012
    I'd still go for the 2.5, almost same lang sila ng 3.0 pero may minor revisions lang naman to make it "smaller". Plus I'd also want the extra torque from the VGS. Di naman siguro ganun ka laki difference sa real world performance with 10 less horses vs the 3.0. Sufficient na din yung 2.5 even with "just" 136 PS, plus higher torque pa.

Thanks! Isuzu is giving 100k discount for the 2014 4x4 model, it doesn't have the bedliner, gps, and parking sensor of the 2015 model though.

Thanks! Isuzu is giving 100k discount for the 2014 4x4 model, it doesn't have the bedliner, gps, and parking sensor of the 2015 model though.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2013
    If you add those options it could easily reach over 50K, I think it would be better if you get the 2015 model. Plus they also offer OEM accessory packages to choose from, at least sa dealer lahat nandun na

Edit: the GPS equipped HU is quite disappointing though, di pa din nila ma resolve static noise issues sa mu-X, I believe it's the same model. Hay IPC, will we ever get Isuzu i-Genii navigator. 😔

9. Join Date
    May 2013
    We're "somehow" on that same situation before. We're looking for a new pick up, our choices was the 2015 dmax 3.0 4x2 and the Hilux. Reliability is paramount, as we're using it to haul stuff and as a workhorse. Me, personally like the Hilux, with its macho look and rugged appearance, but my father wants a 3.0 engine on a pick up, and the Hilux's 3.0 is a 4x4. We don't need the 4x4 and the premium amount that comes with it, specially its almost 1.5 million already. So we decided to just get another Dmax 3.0 4x2.

We got the 3.0 LS MT and just after a week or so, lumabas yung "new" dmax with the 2.5 engine. Nakakahinayang yes, but in some ways, okay lang din, kasi its not the 3.0 vgs. Its another story pag yun na ang pinalit nila sa dmax.

Nanghihinayang lang ako sa added features, like the touchscreen HU with GPS, plus yung parking sensor, plus the lockable tailgate (these alone cost around 50k?). The redesigned HL and TL are nothing to me, plus the gray leather makes it looks cheap compared to the mahogany leather ng 2014.

IMO, if you're getting it on financing, get the 2014. The 3.0 is not that slack, but it wont win against the competition (even on lower displacement, heck even the new 2.5 doesnt). The 100k discount is a lot, specially if you factor in the additional interest.
    If you're paying cash, the added tech would compensate for the 100k discount, plus you really get a 2015 unit, the psychological feeling of getting the "real" 2015 is priceless. I got some sleepless nights over that new release a week after we got our unit. Imagine that.

Sidenote: There's no replacement for displacement. :p

We're "somehow" on that same situation before. We're looking for a new pick up, our choices was the 2015 dmax 3.0 4x2 and the Hilux. Reliability is paramount, as we're using it to haul stuff and as a workhorse. Me, personally like the Hilux, with its macho look and rugged appearance, but my father wants a 3.0 engine on a pick up, and the Hilux's 3.0 is a 4x4. We don't need the 4x4 and the premium amount that comes with it, specially its almost 1.5 million already. So we decided to just get another Dmax 3.0 4x2.

We got the 3.0 LS MT and just after a week or so, lumabas yung "new" dmax with the 2.5 engine. Nakakahinayang yes, but in some ways, okay lang din, kasi its not the 3.0 vgs. Its another story pag yun na ang pinalit nila sa dmax.

Nanghihinayang lang ako sa added features, like the touchscreen HU with GPS, plus yung parking sensor, plus the lockable tailgate (these alone cost around 50k?). The redesigned HL and TL are nothing to me, plus the gray leather makes it looks cheap compared to the mahogany leather ng 2014.

IMO, if you're getting it on financing, get the 2014. The 3.0 is not that slack, but it wont win against the competition (even on lower displacement, heck even the new 2.5 doesnt). The 100k discount is a lot, specially if you factor in the additional interest.
    If you're paying cash, the added tech would compensate for the 100k discount, plus you really get a 2015 unit, the psychological feeling of getting the "real" 2015 is priceless. I got some sleepless nights over that new release a week after we got our unit. Imagine that.

Sidenote: There's no replacement for displacement. :p