New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Someone's trading in his 06 Alterra 4x2 AT for my '07 Dmax LS 4x2 M/T. Dagdag lang ako ng 150k.

Here's my question.
    What are the things that I should check first in buying an 2006 Alterra? Please be detailed because I'm not used to buying 2nd hand cars. (aside from the papers)
    Is this a good buy? (52k mileage) My dmax has 68k mileage
    I don't want to regret since my Dmax never gave me a headache.
    Is there a variant na hindi sya 5.1 s.e.s entertainment system? Or lahat ng alterra ganun na?

Thanks in advance!

2. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Bro rdboy. Why don't you try the Alterra first before committing yourself.

You are moving into the AT of the Alterrra from the MT of your Dmax. Are you sure you like AT? Just my 2 cents

3. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Someone's trading in his 06 Alterra 4x2 AT for my '07 Dmax LS 4x2 M/T. Dagdag lang ako ng 150k. Hmm, mukhang "fair" naman BUt consider direct comparison of condition of both.

Here's my question.
    What are the things that I should check first in buying an 2006 Alterra? Please be detailed because I'm not used to buying 2nd hand cars. (aside from the papers) Maintenance Booklet. Since the Alterra is "relatively new", CASA maintenance is expected. Dapat regular maintenance nya. Of course, the standard "overall condition" of the unit --- body, engine, interior, amenities (if all is working) and add-ons (if di baboy at tama pagkakakabit). Best to bring a knowledgeable mechanic to help check the car for you.

Is this a good buy? (52k mileage) My dmax has 68k mileage. I don't want to regret since my Dmax never gave me a headache. Personally, mileage is NOTHING to me. Kahit na 20k lang tinatakbo nung oto pero puro barag barag naman dinadaanan -- di laspag din, di ba? Or 20k lang tinatakbo pero di naman regular ang maintenance, no sense. I have personally owned a high mileage (for its age) Crosswind XTO and XUVi. In 2 years, they both average 60k a year. Hi mileage di ba? But modesty aside, sakyan mo na lang oto, makikipag labanan sa brand new manakbo. Sorry ha (bato-bato sa langit, ang tamaan wag magagalit) pero MILEAGE issues for me are for BUY AND SELL people only. Nuff said.

Is there a variant na hindi sya 5.1 s.e.s entertainment system? Or lahat ng alterra ganun na? Yup, the 2005-2006 model Alterra came out with 2 types: the Regular stereo (2.0 they say) and the 5.1 SES. You can easily distinguish both kasi head unit nung "2.0" is Pioneer and the 5.1 SEs is a Clarion. Besides, the number of speakers of the "2.0" is only 6 (including the tweeters) while the 5.1 SES is 10 (tweeters, center speakers, satellite speakers and the SUB)

And as willvill mentioned, are you Ok with an AT? Ako ok lang at kayang kaya ng makina of either D-Max or Alterra humataw kahit AT. Pero another major difference is the body configuration. Magkaiba ang basic purpose ng SUv at Pick-up.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Benzmizer; August 8th, 2009 at 11:01 PM.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Make sure the Alterra isn't affected by the dreaded Injector failure issue of the Isuzu Trooper as they are both Isuzu common-rail type engines. Injector assembly failure will burn your pocket hundreds of thousands to repair.

5. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Nah.

The Alterra Engine is different form the Trooper Engine with reported problems on the Injectors.

2003 pa nilabas Alterrra with the DDI IteQ Engine. So far, no reported problems pa related to the engine based on posts sa form na to.

6. Join Date
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by nels76 View Post
    Nah.

The Alterra Engine is different form the Trooper Engine with reported problems on the Injectors.

2003 pa nilabas Alterrra with the DDI IteQ Engine. So far, no reported problems pa related to the engine based on posts sa form na to.
    2003? Its the D-Max. Isuzu only launched Alterra in mid 2005.

7. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by number001 View Post
    2003? Its the D-Max. Isuzu only launched Alterra in mid 2005.
    True.... Alterra was locally introduced in the PHILIPPINES in 2005.

What nels76 meant was 2003 in THAILAND (country of origin)

8. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Benzmizer View Post
    Someone's trading in his 06 Alterra 4x2 AT for my '07 Dmax LS 4x2 M/T. Dagdag lang ako ng 150k. Hmm, mukhang "fair" naman BUt consider direct comparison of condition of both.

Here's my question.
    What are the things that I should check first in buying an 2006 Alterra? Please be detailed because I'm not used to buying 2nd hand cars. (aside from the papers) Maintenance Booklet. Since the Alterra is "relatively new", CASA maintenance is expected. Dapat regular maintenance nya. Of course, the standard "overall condition" of the unit --- body, engine, interior, amenities (if all is working) and add-ons (if di baboy at tama pagkakakabit). Best to bring a knowledgeable mechanic to help check the car for you.

Is this a good buy? (52k mileage) My dmax has 68k mileage. I don't want to regret since my Dmax never gave me a headache. Personally, mileage is NOTHING to me. Kahit na 20k lang tinatakbo nung oto pero puro barag barag naman dinadaanan -- di laspag din, di ba? Or 20k lang tinatakbo pero di naman regular ang maintenance, no sense. I have personally owned a high mileage (for its age) Crosswind XTO and XUVi. In 2 years, they both average 60k a year. Hi mileage di ba? But modesty aside, sakyan mo na lang oto, makikipag labanan sa brand new manakbo. Sorry ha (bato-bato sa langit, ang tamaan wag magagalit) pero MILEAGE issues for me are for BUY AND SELL people only. Nuff said.

Is there a variant na hindi sya 5.1 s.e.s entertainment system? Or lahat ng alterra ganun na? Yup, the 2005-2006 model Alterra came out with 2 types: the Regular stereo (2.0 they say) and the 5.1 SES. You can easily distinguish both kasi head unit nung "2.0" is Pioneer and the 5.1 SEs is a Clarion. Besides, the number of speakers of the "2.0" is only 6 (including the tweeters) while the 5.1 SES is 10 (tweeters, center speakers, satellite speakers and the SUB)

And as willvill mentioned, are you Ok with an AT? Ako ok lang at kayang kaya ng makina of either D-Max or Alterra humataw kahit AT. Pero another major difference is the body configuration. Magkaiba ang basic purpose ng SUv at Pick-up.

Hope this helps.
    thank you so much sir!

9. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Ang alterra ba should be casa maintained or kaya rin ng mga shops sa labas? May required na oil lang ba sa mga 06 na alterra?

10. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rdboy View Post
    Ang alterra ba should be casa maintained or kaya rin ng mga shops sa labas? May required na oil lang ba sa mga 06 na alterra?
    From my knowledge, you also need a Tech 2 gadget everytime the Alterra undergoes PMS. Since the Alterra is CRDI, BESCO oil is used.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
2006 Alterra: Is it worth it?