New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Hi guys newbie here! I would really appreciate your inputs. I own a 01 trooper 4x2 A/T. it has 87,000 kms on it. This morning its ckeck trans warning light started blinking. It also had a hard time pulling away from full stops.
    When I brought it to our mechanic, he started the car and the check trans light was gone, and it was shifting properly. he said turning off the car reset the tranny compbox. Everything seems to be working fine now.

Have any of you experienced the same problem? What was the cause & solution?

Thanks in advance

2. Join Date
    May 2007
    You probably lost enough fluid to overheat it. I'd get it drained and filled and go from there.

This may sound's stup*d. Have your mechanic test your alternator, also see if if your power steering fluid leaking into the alternator. again, unbelievable but true.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Thanks for the reply V6dreamer. The A/T fluid was fine.

BUT:
    "This may sound's stup*d. Have your mechanic test your alternator, also see if if your power steering fluid leaking into the alternator. again, unbelievable but true."

I have been loosing power steering fluid! How does this affect the alternator? And how does the alternator affect the tranny? Sorry for the stupid questions but I am realy at a loss

4. Join Date
    May 2007
    Have your power steering fix and see if your alternator soak with steering fluid that leaks out. If it does... that is the problem.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    sir, hindi naman magleak ang power steering into the alternator... usually the alternator is placed underneath the power steering pump and when the pump leaks theoil tends to drip down the laternator causing electrical probs.. maybe meron sira sa pump or steering box mo kaya ur leaking power steering fluid.. as for the transmisson light, try draining ur fluid and replace with a new one and dapat dexron III ang ilagay mo not those sold at the gas stations... the only way the alternator would affect the tranny is that the alternatoer is not charging yourbattery anymore... thus the current going through the transmission is not sufficient and some instance the check trans would light up.. or let the casa check ur wirings going to your trans.. maybe their is loose wire somewhere kaya nagcheck trans...

6. Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Thank you for the reply sir jarhead,

I did check the alternator and it was dry, no fluids on it.

I did notice the "voltage meter?". The one with the battery icon above the water temp. After I started the car the needle was below 13v, after i had driven for a few minutes the needle went past the 13v mark (around13.5) and stayed there.

Could this be a sign that something's wrong with my alternator or battery?

The Check trans light hasn't lit up again, but I'm going to follow your and sir v6dreamer's advice and have the atf changed and the alternator checked.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    sir, ok lang yan voltage meter ng trooper mo, usually it would drop to 12v lang kung bago pa lang andar but after a minute it would reach the 13 volts mark and if it would saty there, thats just fine... kung meron man sira ang alternator, the meter wont reach 13v talaga.... but if battery naman,the voltage meetr would just be at the 13v mark but hindi kaya pa andarin ang ride mo or the battery would just be drained after a few hours of standby.

8. Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Thanks for the reply again sir jarhead.

Siguro po na prapraning na ako sa trooper ko! I seem to be noticing things that i took forgranted before.

The check trans light hasn't gone on again(please don't), and the car seems to be shifting fine. The thing is it seems to stay in 2nd and 3rd longer than i remember. It only shifts after about 5+ seconds * around 1900 rpms from 2nd to 3rd. unlike 1st to 2nd instant and shift once it hits 1600rpms. then again baka po praning na lang ako. How would i know if my tranny is slipping? and ano po ang magandang ATF? I am currently using caltex texamatic 1888. Ok ba ito? what would you recommend?

Again po thanks in advance sa reply.

9. Join Date
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by trooper01 View Post

Siguro po na prapraning na ako sa trooper ko! I seem to be noticing things that i took forgranted before.

The check trans light hasn't gone on again(please don't), and the car seems to be shifting fine. The thing is it seems to stay in 2nd and 3rd longer than i remember. It only shifts after about 5+ seconds * around 1900 rpms from 2nd to 3rd. unlike 1st to 2nd instant and shift once it hits 1600rpms. then again baka po praning na lang ako. How would i know if my tranny is slipping? and ano po ang magandang ATF? I am currently using caltex texamatic 1888. Ok ba ito? what would you recommend?

The check tranny light means, a code or codes have been set and can be read to help learn what is going on. Bring it to isuzu before bigger damage was done.
    One guys opinion, good luck!

10. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by trooper01 View Post

just have it checked sa isuzu casa nalng sir to be sure... i dont know kung anong grade ng atf ang texamtic ng caltex, as long as its a DEXRON III ATF talaga,meron kc atf that will fit the specs of a DEXRON III but it isnt really DEXRON III.. tingnan mo kung meron DEXRON III nakalagay sa pckaging nya... kung wala, maybe hindi pa dexron III yan... we use the AC_DELCO brand ATF, its been used sa chevrolet or GM company sa mga kotse nila.. and its really a DEXRON III. hehehe...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
01 Trooper 4x2 A/T transmition problems