New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    May 2009
    Am thinking of having my two week old Civic 1.8 S reupholstered in genuine leather. Curious lang, would this have an effect (positive or negative) on the resale value of the car? I'll probably have to upgrade after 3 years (company requirement).

From browsing the threads, it seems that people sell their leather seats separately (switching back to stock seats to sell the car). Does "stock" retain its value better?

Appreciate your opinions.

Oh, and has Kelseat really gone out of business? I really liked the work they did on a relative's Fortuner.

Thanks very much.

2. Join Date
    May 2005
    If you are going to upgrade every 3 yrs, then spending extra for the leather upholstery is not worth the cost nor the trouble.

IMO, anything that does not make a vehicle "stock" *might* actually hurt its resale value.

3. Join Date
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by number001 View Post
    If you are going to upgrade every 3 yrs, then spending extra for the leather upholstery is not worth the cost nor the trouble.

IMO, anything that does not make a vehicle "stock" *might* actually hurt its resale value.
    Thanks for the quick reply. I'd hoped somehow that leather upholstery would be considered a form of "stock" or even an upgrade. Guess there really is a reason to keep one's stock parts.

4. Join Date
    May 2005
    ^If the workmanship is very good or better than OEM (those in the Civic 2.0 S-L), then it might actually constitute as an improvement. But alas, some of the leather reupholstery job, I have seen on units displayed in dealer showrooms are not upto par, and so botched up that it looks like leatherette seatcovers from a distance.

5. Join Date
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by number001 View Post
    ^If the workmanship is very good or better than OEM (those in the Civic 2.0 S-L), then it might actually constitute as an improvement. But alas, some of the leather reupholstery job, I have seen on units displayed in dealer showrooms are not upto par, and so botched up that it looks like leatherette seatcovers from a distance.
    Definitely agree on that one. It's not just the material that matters, it's also the workmanship. If you're going to be spending P40K ++ on upholstery, it doesn't make sense to skimp on few thousand bucks but end up having something that looks like like a seatcover. Hehe.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Anything you add in your car is nothing to a buyer, he will buy it at fair market value or less. Those things are bonus to a buyer and he will never pay for it. That is also why binabalik ng seller and mga OEMs then sells the upgrades seperately for more profit.
    Honestly genuine and synthetic leather doesnt breathe like fabric and retains heat, maganda at mabango tingnan pero masakit sa balat pag babad sa araw.

7. Join Date
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 4JGtootsie View Post
    Anything you add in your car is nothing to a buyer, he will buy it at fair market value or less. Those things are bonus to a buyer and he will never pay for it. That is also why binabalik ng seller and mga OEMs then sells the upgrades seperately for more profit.
    Honestly genuine and synthetic leather doesnt breathe like fabric and retains heat, maganda at mabango tingnan pero masakit sa balat pag babad sa araw.
    Noted chief. Thanks for the perspective on the value of post-purchase additions. I wish I were rich enough not to care about resale value ... hahaha.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    imho, very small factor... the condition and the mileage of the car greatly contributes to the resale value.