New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Sorry to lay the bad news, using laundry detergent soap in auto-interiors (or upholstery where you can't rinse thoroughly) is a really bad thing to do. The residue left by the soap will stay and soon enough, when the fragrance of the soap expires, your interior will smell like road-kill.

There are dedicated upholstery cleaners out in the market, and they are sold for a reason - rinsability... Try to rub some Ariel or other laundry soap on your skin, see how hard it is to rinse off without leaving a sheet of slippery residue on your skin.

Upholstery cleaners do not require much rinsing, damp towels or wet vacs are all that's needed. By using regular laundry detergent, you've actually left a layer of detergent film on the fabric and it'll temporarily mask off whatever odor there is. But as soon as that's dried up, your odor problem just multiplied exponentially.

Improper cleaning of modern foam seats will lead to mold and fungus growth as well, that's why you rarely see people soaking upholstery like before (where regular, replaceable, closed-cell foams were still used in the 80s).

I hope your problem gets resolved ASAP, coz in our experience, blotched DIY experiments are usually extremely difficult to rectify whether it's interior, paint, etc...

2. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Bro, also try to have the aircon system cleaned.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by theveed View Post
    Sorry to lay the bad news, using laundry detergent soap in auto-interiors (or upholstery where you can't rinse thoroughly) is a really bad thing to do. The residue left by the soap will stay and soon enough, when the fragrance of the soap expires, your interior will smell like road-kill.

There are dedicated upholstery cleaners out in the market, and they are sold for a reason - rinsability... Try to rub some Ariel or other laundry soap on your skin, see how hard it is to rinse off without leaving a sheet of slippery residue on your skin.

Upholstery cleaners do not require much rinsing, damp towels or wet vacs are all that's needed. By using regular laundry detergent, you've actually left a layer of detergent film on the fabric and it'll temporarily mask off whatever odor there is. But as soon as that's dried up, your odor problem just multiplied exponentially.

Improper cleaning of modern foam seats will lead to mold and fungus growth as well, that's why you rarely see people soaking upholstery like before (where regular, replaceable, closed-cell foams were still used in the 80s).

I hope your problem gets resolved ASAP, coz in our experience, blotched DIY experiments are usually extremely difficult to rectify whether it's interior, paint, etc...
    Here is one great info. Thanks sir.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsepower View Post
    use a pack of charcoal to absorb the smell.
    This worked for me. I placed a shoe box full of charcoal on my car.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    d d
    Quote Originally Posted by brynu View Post
    thanks for the replies!!
    na interior detailing na, ariel soap for the ceiling and carpet, door panels and dash
    na vaccum na rin ang seats pero not washed with soap and water
    i already left it under the sun for 1 day all doors opened
    nandoon pa rin museum smell

dapat ba talagang i wash ang seats? yung soaking wet talaga?
    baka aamoy lalo pag hindi na dry thoroughly...
    ang aircon din not cleaned yet...

try ko ang charcoal and ionizer...
    ok ba ang ambi pur?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi brynu,

Based on my experienced.......wala ng tatalo pa sa charcoal (uling)!
    When a bought my new car, Im so excited to used different expensive carfreshener/perfume in it, (caliscents, organic, sheldan, ambi.....biruin mo pati lysol & glade ginamit ko, ala experiment/trip lang).......ignorante pako that time regarding the pros/cons.

The result is.....whenever I on my aircon,,,,meron lumalabas na bad odor, parang suka "as in vinegar"..........as usual bili na naman me ng kung ano-anong brand ng car freshener/ionizer para lang mawala amoy......there was a time na kilalang-kilala nako ng mga saleman/saleslady sa DIY/Handyman Galleria............pag dating sa car accesories (every other day, dumadaan me dun).........pero wala parin nang-yari........di nawala mabahong amoy.

Then, nabasa ko somewhere in the tread/forum (HCP & tsikot) na uling lang.........what I did is to bought plastic of uling, yun five pesos lang (Php5.00)......out of desperation......then nilagay ko under d passenger seat for 1-week.......dapat meron kang lalagyan para sa uling, kahit yun lata lang ng M.Y.San biscuit para di tumapon.............YOU will be surprice sa results........tanggal lahat ng amoy.......as in walang amoy yun car mo.

-ELP 0916-2868389
    Standard Chartered Bank-Philippines

6. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Summertime is the best para less ang mould buildup at para madaling matuyo. Di naman agad agad mawawala ang amoy from the previous owner. Kung DIY: Try to do it one at a time, using cleaners and protectants like yung mga kaya lang like headliner, dashboard, fabric seats and upholstery then have the a/c clean as well normally dyan nagsi-circulate ang amoy including amoy ng previous owner

Then carpet the same way you cleaned the seats and upholstery using carpet cleaners and rub vigorously then rub dry it thoroughly with a clean dry cloth.

Put some uling and avoid air freshners that would complicate the smell…baka maghalo ang bango at “asim” or ng previous smell.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Removing odor? Charcoal is your best friend. ;)

Just one fist-sized piece of the stuff is enough to drive away the smell of transported food in my Jazz (we bring home-cooked food to my grandma's every couple weeks). Take note that the Jazz's rear cargo bay shares the same air as the rest of the cabin, not isolated like most cars' trunks.

8. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    one best example is the ref, yes the refrigerator aka the fridge...when you want to remove any lingering unwanted smelly smellies, just a rock of uling does the job, well enuf

9. Join Date
    May 2006
    Yup +1 sa charcoal. Kahit nga mga bagong pintura na interiors ng bahay kayang-kaya i-absorb ang odor.

Pero you have to get the WOOD Charcoal not the Coconut shell type.

:thumbup:

10. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Sa blumentritt 140 pesos lang isang sako ng uling, baka mga dalawang sako
    ok na iyan. Dont buy charcoal in retail lugi ka.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Help me!! smelly interior