New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    I have noticed a brown discoloration on the steering wheel of my Lancer. It's on the areas where I usually put my hands, meaning the wheel itself. There is no such discoloration in the middle where the horn is. Also, there is a similar discoloration on the gear stick knob.

My steering wheel is stock. No leather/leatherette/plastic aftermarket add-ons. Obviously, the discoloration is due to some chemical reaction between my hands perspiration and/or secretions and the steering wheel and gear stick knob.

What can I do to remove the discoloration?

Thanks.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    hmmmm, none as far as i can think of. but you may want to re-leather your steering wheels....

.....and wear a glove while driving....

3. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Same with my car's steering wheel din, I guess the previous drivers sweat on his hands are very acidic.

I'm planning on covering up the ugly thing with leather.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Try nyo Wipe Out or MC chemical cleaner. AFAIK parang libag lang yan.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    thanks sir pk for the advice. meron din akong ganyang problem sa civic ko. will try it this weekend. :D

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Actually pare, its too good. You'll notice that the parts that you clean are gonna be bright gray. Mas malinis pa siya kesa dun sa hindi maruming portion before. So either clean the whole thing or hinay hinay lang para pumantay.

Another thing, make sure hindi mo titirahin ng wipeout yung leather. pero its escellent for leatherette (plastics).

7. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    I think you should cover your steering wheel with leather already.
    It gives you a good feel while driving and easy to clean too.
    Just PM or email me for details.
    Thanks

8. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    I cannot recall how the stock Lancer steering wheel and shift knob looks. Ito ba yung parang goma o parang plastic?

Sa lumang Toyota kasi (1990) pansin ko parang may natutuklap, hindi lang basta discoloration. So the best bet was to replace them.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    pajerokid, have you tried using Wipe Out or MC chemical cleaner already? are you sure it works with any surface that's discolorated? also, where can u buy it? thanks

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    xox, you can get wipe out or MC cleaner sa groceries, hardware, etc....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Brown Discoloration on Steering Wheel