New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Hi Guys,

I'm planning to buy the Tucson Theta II 2.0L GLS 2WD AT but I'm quite anxious with regards to its safety features. I've seen the brochure and it says that it only have airbags for the driver and the passenger. I'm wondering, is it an airbag for the front passenger alone? Also, won't it compromise the safety of the passengers on the 2nd row given that it doesn't have the side and curtain airbags?

I would be very grateful for all your comments on this. I'm actually buying the Tucson because AFAIK, it got 4-stars in the European Safety Test. Given the above limitations to the Tucson Theta II 2.0L GLS 2WD AT, I'm now thinking whether it's indeed safe as a family ride.

Thanks!

2. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Yes it doesn't have the curtain airbags for the second row. But then again, most cars sold here don't have them. If you're looking for airbags at the second row you would have to look at other premium marquees such as German makes. I think the Tucson revgt premium model have the second row airbags. But as its model suggests, it does cost a premium at 1.7m

3. Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bratski View Post
    Yes it doesn't have the curtain airbags for the second row. But then again, most cars sold here don't have them. If you're looking for airbags at the second row you would have to look at other premium marquees such as German makes. I think the Tucson revgt premium model have the second row airbags. But as its model suggests, it does cost a premium at 1.7m
    actually, that's the problem since I can't afford to fork out 1.7M for the car....so are you suggesting for me to look into other models? would you be able to suggest any?

Thanks again.

4. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    For 1.1M wala ka mahahanap na CUV with 6 airbag system.

Premium yung Tucson ko. The 6 airbag system is useless for me. Pinaka nagustuhan kong safety feature yung Vehicle Dynamic Control.

Kasi kapag bumalibag yung Tucson tapos nabasag yung Panoramic Sunroof at side windows, wala rin bubuhayin na pasahero yan.

IMHO seat belts parin ang pinaka effective. ;)

5. Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Starex_Gold View Post
    For 1.1M wala ka mahahanap na CUV with 6 airbag system.

Premium yung Tucson ko. The 6 airbag system is useless for me. Pinaka nagustuhan kong safety feature yung Vehicle Dynamic Control.

Kasi kapag bumalibag yung Tucson tapos nabasag yung Panoramic Sunroof at side windows, wala rin bubuhayin na pasahero yan.

IMHO seat belts parin ang pinaka effective. ;)
    +1. with accidents, lahat situational. Airbags do offer some protection. But if you crash at 160kph, useless na rin yun. hehe

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Air bags are supplemental. They''re practically just fluffy balloons if you dont buckle up.

Dami naman other safety features that are not even mentioned in the brochure:
    Safety glass
    Soft touch interior surfaces
    Few sharp edges underneath plastic trim panels
    Fire retardant interior materials
    Door latches that have been designed to keep the door closed during a crash and still be operational after
    A fuel pump that shuts off when you roll or crash
    Underhood components are shaped in a way that they interlock tetris style instead of going into the cabin
    A hood that will fold up instead of get pushed into the cabin
    Both bumpers are not supposed to get any damage up to a crash speed of 10kph
    And lots of other stuff we take for grantedd nowadays.

What the tucson lacks are a cargo barrier. Like the kind Milford or other companies make. A first aid kit and a fire extinguisher. These can be added later on.

ABS alone is vastly better as it avoids a crash in the first place if you know how to properly use it. Just stomp the pedal hard and turn away from the crash situation. Other drivers fail to do the turn part and still crash.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by OTEP View Post
    Air bags are supplemental. They''re practically just fluffy balloons if you dont buckle up.

Dami naman other safety features that are not even mentioned in the brochure:
    Safety glass
    Soft touch interior surfaces
    Few sharp edges underneath plastic trim panels
    Fire retardant interior materials
    Door latches that have been designed to keep the door closed during a crash and still be operational after
    A fuel pump that shuts off when you roll or crash
    Underhood components are shaped in a way that they interlock tetris style instead of going into the cabin
    A hood that will fold up instead of get pushed into the cabin
    Both bumpers are not supposed to get any damage up to a crash speed of 10kph
    And lots of other stuff we take for grantedd nowadays.

What the tucson lacks are a cargo barrier. Like the kind Milford or other companies make. A first aid kit and a fire extinguisher. These can be added later on.

ABS alone is vastly better as it avoids a crash in the first place if you know how to properly use it. Just stomp the pedal hard and turn away from the crash situation. Other drivers fail to do the turn part and still crash.
    are all of the above safety features also available on the Tucson Theta II 2.0L GL 2WD AT?

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Yes. Actually they are available on most modern cars also thats why manufacturers no longer list them.

A lot of the items mentioned are required by law in other markets and cannot be deleted or not worth the expense to delete for our local market. Hence, the features stay.

The GL also doesnt have abs. But the GLS has it so it might be worth stepping up to that model

9. Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by OTEP View Post
    Yes. Actually they are available on most modern cars also thats why manufacturers no longer list them.

A lot of the items mentioned are required by law in other markets and cannot be deleted or not worth the expense to delete for our local market. Hence, the features stay.
    thanks for that info....

another thing, for the Tucson Theta II 2.0L GL 2WD AT, how many seatbelts are there?

I'm discussing with my wife about it and my wife is keener on the safety of the vehicle other than anything else...if we are to spend around 1.5M on this one, I'll probably take a look at the CX5 as well which comes within that price plus the latest safety features....

I'm honestly after the Tucson if I won't break past the 1.1M barrier.....

thanks again for your feedbacks....

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    There are five seatbelts. Not sure if the rear center seat has a lap belt only or 3point ones like on the outboard seating positions.

Other safety stuff
    Impact absorbing steering column
    Buttons on the dash are rounded and recessed to prevent injury when struck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Tucson Theta II 2.0L GL 2WD AT Safety Features