New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Feb 2016
    I'm asking about the current generation starex, as we are planning to buy one. So hopefully if you own a starex TQ you can share.

Is the engine reliable? Does it break down or other mechanical failures?

Do parts easily come loose after years of passing bumpy roads? Or does it age well like Japanese vehicles?

How about interior, matibay po ba? I have a friend who owns one, interior door handles are falling off. Anyone else experienced this?

Thank you!

Sent from my BLL-L22 using Tapatalk

2. Join Date
    May 2009
    I have two Hyundai cars, starex and sta.fe. One is already 18 yrs. old and is going strong and the other is a 10 yrs. older. Never missed a preventive maintenance and surely it will not let you down in the highway.

Quote Originally Posted by claytonyu View Post
    I'm asking about the current generation starex, as we are planning to buy one. So hopefully if you own a starex TQ you can share.

Is the engine reliable? Does it break down or other mechanical failures?

Do parts easily come loose after years of passing bumpy roads? Or does it age well like Japanese vehicles?

How about interior, matibay po ba? I have a friend who owns one, interior door handles are falling off. Anyone else experienced this?

Thank you!

3. Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by granro01 View Post
    I have two Hyundai cars, starex and sta.fe. One is already 18 yrs. old and is going strong and the other is a 10 yrs. older. Never missed a preventive maintenance and surely it will not let you down in the highway.
    Hi that's good to know! Thanks

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    We have a 2017 TQ 2nd gen. After one year, so far ok pa din naman. Under warranty pa siya so kahit na anong marinig o maramdaman ko na feeling ko hindi normal balik kaagad sa casa. Wala pa naman akong warranty claim as of today.

I am listing the pros and cons based on its nearest competitor at least here in the PH, the Toyota HiAce.

Pros:

Smooth ride as compared sa HiAce

Lakas ng makina. 440nm of torque!

Dual sliding doors

Hindi ka paparahin at hindi ka magkakamalang uv express na colorum

I dont mind driving it myself. Hindi ako mukhang “driver”

Crumple zones. Better front impact protection

Engine is at the front. Hindi iinit ang pwet mo like sa HiAce.

Cons:

A bit thirsty on fuel. 6-7 km/l on city driving. (I think ok pa din given how bad traffic is nowadays)

Mabilis kumain ng brake pads. Changed the front on 20t kms while the rears on the 25t. (I think reasonable pa din as the car is automatic and is a daily driver)

rattles on the sliding doors and captain seats. This is what irritates me the most! Had to do extensive troubleshooting and testing to find out the source.

Korean car stigma. Although malaking improvement na as compared years ago, di pa rin maalis ang stigma sa korean cars hanggang ngayon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by benchph1 View Post
    We have a 2017 TQ 2nd gen. After one year, so far ok pa din naman. Under warranty pa siya so kahit na anong marinig o maramdaman ko na feeling ko hindi normal balik kaagad sa casa. Wala pa naman akong warranty claim as of today.

I am listing the pros and cons based on its nearest competitor at least here in the PH, the Toyota HiAce.

Pros:

Dual sliding doors

Cons:

A bit thirsty on fuel. 6-7 km/l on city driving. (I think ok pa din given how bad traffic is nowadays)

Mabilis kumain ng brake pads. Changed the front on 20t kms while the rears on the 25t. (I think reasonable pa din as the car is automatic and is a daily driver)

rattles on the sliding doors and captain seats. This is what irritates me the most! Had to do extensive troubleshooting and testing to find out the source.

Korean car stigma. Although malaking improvement na as compared years ago, di pa rin maalis ang stigma sa korean cars hanggang ngayon.

Hi thanks for the info

The rattling.. Do you think the parts are loosely put together or are they shaking themselves loose due to poor buildm

6. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by benchph1 View Post

Pros:

Dual sliding doors

Cons:

6-7kml is because of the heavy overall weight and that 5spd transmission and rwd setup. those 2 sliding doors are heavy and that rear door too. convenience at a price.

the kia new carnival is more frugal with the 8spd fwd setup. its very low though...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    From my tinkering and troubleshooting, those parts that are making the noise can be remedied with a slight adjustment.

I can live with that fuel mileage. Its the same we got from our previous gen1 kia carnival which is also a heavy vehicle. Yeah that heavy tailgate. Thinking of getting a power tailgate for the car. Starex (TQ) quality

That is another pro! The grand starex has a high ground clearance which is almost at par with mid size suv’s nowadays.