New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    So, just got off the phone with the service adviser at one of the Hyundai CASAs

VGT Solenoid on our 2011 Starex is apparently broken and is no longer covered by warranty. Apparently, Hyundai's 5 year warranty is just a 3 year warranty + 2 years on other parts that probably won't break within the lifespan of the car.

Will cost ~10++k for the part alone, aside from the fuel flushing etc that cost near 7k~ to diagnose low power on the Starex IMMEDIATELY AFTER TAKING THE CAR OUT FROM CASA AFTER a PMS.

The car is just 3 years and a few months old, traveled less than 40K kilometers and has been serviced at a CASA ever since.

<Start of General Rant>

This is disappointing, considering this purchase of a Hyundai was our first and has been nothing but expensive maintenance--

--Expensive PMS (granted, it is a big car), but nowhere near the cost of a Toyota PMS for our LC120, among our other Toyotas
    --Front/Rear Brakes replaced twice already (whereas our LC120 has hardly gone through it's original set)
    --Aircon filter clogging up 2-3x within 3 years
    --Steering wheel tilting/alignment issue the CASA cannot seem to fix
    --Random creaks and the occasional clunking sound in the transmission the CASA calls normal
    --CASA with new findings about suspension issues that are coming up and should be fixed soon (the only other car we had with issues this early was our FD and its notorious engine support).

Disappointing, considering the 5 year warranty was a big selling point. My mistake though for not reading the fine print.

Just my rant and a fair warning to buyers I suppose.

Edit: And for current Hyundai owners, better get your cars checked comprehensively before your first 3 years are up! Sayang lang kung hindi
    Last edited by mda; May 7th, 2014 at 11:57 AM.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Sad, but your experience sir is quite common when you dig through tsikot forum. Notorious Hyundai for not honoring warranty, especially if the part for replacement is expensive.

Sent from the Twilight Zone...

3. Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Common na for hyundai casa ... May dedicated thread na nga sila dito makakarelate ka sa sakit ng ulo...

Sent from my Windows Phone 8 using Tapatalk

4. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    I've read most of those threads -- never thought I'd be the one ending up authoring my own.

The difference here is the warning on the extended warranty though. This is the first time I've heard of it (again, my fault for not digging deeper before buying), but it's something their sales personnel will never tell you about.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Japanese vehicles are still built better than Korean ones.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    I read the thread of Hyundai issues too and the extended warranty comes up all the time.

mda, that's a ton of problems for a fairly new vehicle. You think you got a lemon?

7. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by _Cathy_ View Post
    I read the thread of Hyundai issues too and the extended warranty comes up all the time.

mda, that's a ton of problems for a fairly new vehicle. You think you got a lemon?
    Looks like I didn't do enough reading then. O_o

Hassle talaga. Not sure if this is a lemon or if it's just indicative of bad overall build quality/choice of material/design, as there are issues everywhere. Based on what I've been reading in the Starex thread, it seems like AC Filter and Brake pad replacement is pretty normal for the Starex. Baka poor choice of parts/design issue na yan.

Frustrating pa rin though yung misleading warranty nila. Honda and Toyota sometimes fix nonwear/tear parts out of warranty especially when this is proven to be a design defect (minsan pati wear/tear parts napapalitan din). This is purely electrical and should have been covered.

Sorry ranting na ulet haha -- frustrating talaga.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mda View Post
    Looks like I didn't do enough reading then. O_o

Hassle talaga. Not sure if this is a lemon or if it's just indicative of bad overall build quality/choice of material/design, as there are issues everywhere. Based on what I've been reading in the Starex thread, it seems like AC Filter and Brake pad replacement is pretty normal for the Starex. Baka poor choice of parts/design issue na yan.

Frustrating pa rin though yung misleading warranty nila. Honda and Toyota sometimes fix nonwear/tear parts out of warranty especially when this is proven to be a design defect (minsan pati wear/tear parts napapalitan din). This is purely electrical and should have been covered.

Sorry ranting na ulet haha -- frustrating talaga.
    I read a member's thread on his AC problem (mabaho) which went unresolved for a year or so despite all of his formal complaints/letters to the casa

I also experienced Toyota fixing problems out of warranty As long as the issue was reported during the warranty period . I don't get a lot of questions too, my steering was replaced because I complained it felt heavy sometimes. Casa tested this pero di nila maabutan yung pagtigas, but they replaced the part anyway! It costs over P45k ata

There are people who are fans of Hyundai though, swertihan ba yan sa units?

9. Join Date
    May 2006
    kala ko pa naman tinalo na ng mga koreano ang mga hapon...

how bout gray market? sakit din kaya sa ulo o Hari lang ang sablay..

Hari ng sablay
    Last edited by oliver1013; May 7th, 2014 at 02:18 PM.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by _Cathy_ View Post
    I read a member's thread on his AC problem (mabaho) which went unresolved for a year or so despite all of his formal complaints/letters to the casa

I also experienced Toyota fixing problems out of warranty As long as the issue was reported during the warranty period . I don't get a lot of questions too, my steering was replaced because I complained it felt heavy sometimes. Casa tested this pero di nila maabutan yung pagtigas, but they replaced the part anyway! It costs over P45k ata

There are people who are fans of Hyundai though, swertihan ba yan sa units?
    Same, and ours happened outside the warranty period already. Ah well.

Probably nothing I can do about the solenoid now as we need the car up and running.

Parang binabawi ng Hyundai yung price difference ng GS vs the HiAce doon sa maintenance and bad parts.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Read the Fine Print Before You Buy -- Hyundai 5 year warranty