New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    What happened when you shift from d to r while moving? When i accidentallyshift my corolla that way while was moving around 20kph, the engine sunddenly died to protect itself. Had to do a full stop, turn off the key then restart again.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ishtangli View Post
    I'm by no means an expert but I dont think keeping it in D while stopped puts stress, if any, on the engine, unless you have bad idling. Remember, the engine will continue to rotate/combust even when you are stopped. It just doesnt connect to the drive shaft (in the case of an AT, the torque converter). Also remember, AT is designed for this.
    This method will consume more fuel.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet PAC View Post
    Thank you all for the Inputs. Actually, I just did it 3x accidentaly shifting from D to R but at decelerating speed (around 20-10kph) and while pressing on the brakes. And yes when I'm stopped by a traffic light I shift to N and apply the hand brakes because I noticed staying on D at prolonged stop still puts stress on the engine.
    Shift the transmission without pressing the knob / switch. You can shift from R-D-N-D-2-1-2-N without pressing the switch. You need to press the switch to go from D to R to P.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    Shift the transmission without pressing the knob / switch. You can shift from R-D-N-D-2-1-2-N without pressing the switch. You need to press the switch to go from D to R to P.
    Hi Sir. The Accent Hatch has gate type AT. From P, I need to press the brakes first before shifting to any of R, N, D or the +/-. Then yes I can move freely from D to N to R. Never tried up to P though since it's a long shift and usually I'm already at a full stop.

5. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Actually the car would not consume more fuel if you stop and keep it on drive. It's just a myth. The difference between neutral and drive when at stop is the regulation of atf to the system. It's still at idle until you press the throttle.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet PAC View Post
    Hi Sir. The Accent Hatch has gate type AT. From P, I need to press the brakes first before shifting to any of R, N, D or the +/-. Then yes I can move freely from D to N to R. Never tried up to P though since it's a long shift and usually I'm already at a full stop.
    I STAND CORRECTED... I just tried to today that I couldn't shift from D or N to R if I'm not pressing on the brakes.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    1. for short stops just keep it in D and just step on the brake.
    2. for long stops (some stop lights have timers already so you know how many seconds left before the light turns green) then yes you can put it to N to conserve fuel, and step on the brake or use hand brake.
    3. There is no need to put it in P, just step on the brakes while in N. Putting it in P is a disaster waiting to happen if you get hit from behind by another vehicle, sira ang tranny mo nyan. Just keep it in N so that if some id1ot decides to use your car as a brake then at least your tranny will not get damaged.

and lastly...
    4. WHY DO YOU SHIFT WHEN YOUR CAR IS STILL MOVING? tignan mo you already accidentally shifted to R. shifting to N while the car is still in motion is the easiest way to fak up your automatic transmission. you never ever shift from D to N when your car is still moving. mamya yan next visit mo sa forum nagtatanong ka na bakit may shift shock na ang tranny mo. just step on the brake gradually until the vehicle stops, then that is the time you shift. makati masyado kamay mo pare. hindi yan manual, AUTOMATIC YAN. and as the name implies, leave it alone, you do not need to play with it.

hawak ka na lang sa kamay ng date mo ng hindi ka shift ng shift. wala kang date hawak na lang kay dayunyor.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by [archie] View Post
    Actually the car would not consume more fuel if you stop and keep it on drive. It's just a myth. The difference between neutral and drive when at stop is the regulation of atf to the system. It's still at idle until you press the throttle.
    wrong. the engine speed is on idle yes, but if it is in D then the gear is engaged and it takes more energy to turn at the same idle speed than if it were in neutral. in neutral the engine is just spinning the slush box freely. in D the engine is spinning the slush box, the power is transmitted through the planetary gear or cvt, then to the wheels, then to the brakes. so in effect you are braking the engine.

but yes, the difference in the amounts of fuel used is very small. like you can measure it with a tea spoon.
    Last edited by yebo; August 9th, 2013 at 03:43 PM.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Agree with Yebo's post above, with some addendum.

With my Altis, I can feel the "strain" while stopped in D and holding the brakes. It just feels like the car is building up momentum ready to launch when the brakes are released. So I normally shift to N if the stop will take more than 15 seconds. With the Civic, I can hold the car in D with the brakes and it feels it just has slightly more resistance than N. So even with a minute of stop I can just hold it in D. Again, as I say you need to learn to communicate with your ride, and know its various idiosyncracies.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Junior it is! Actually, I'm learning to drive it properly. Never shifted to P if I'm just temporarily stopped. In a MT kasi, I normally shift to Neutral as my car is about to stop para brakes na lang kinda slow stop para if nag go bigla, depending on my speed, I can shift to the proper gear to move ahead. (Ex. Slow stop at 20kph shift ko na to 2nd gear pag na go, at 30kph to 3rd gear etc.) But now with this AT, will wait for complete stop!

Quote Originally Posted by yebo View Post
    1. for short stops just keep it in D and just step on the brake.
    2. for long stops (some stop lights have timers already so you know how many seconds left before the light turns green) then yes you can put it to N to conserve fuel, and step on the brake or use hand brake.
    3. There is no need to put it in P, just step on the brakes while in N. Putting it in P is a disaster waiting to happen if you get hit from behind by another vehicle, sira ang tranny mo nyan. Just keep it in N so that if some id1ot decides to use your car as a brake then at least your tranny will not get damaged.

and lastly...
    4. WHY DO YOU SHIFT WHEN YOUR CAR IS STILL MOVING? tignan mo you already accidentally shifted to R. shifting to N while the car is still in motion is the easiest way to fak up your automatic transmission. you never ever shift from D to N when your car is still moving. mamya yan next visit mo sa forum nagtatanong ka na bakit may shift shock na ang tranny mo. just step on the brake gradually until the vehicle stops, then that is the time you shift. makati masyado kamay mo pare. hindi yan manual, AUTOMATIC YAN. and as the name implies, leave it alone, you do not need to play with it.

hawak ka na lang sa kamay ng date mo ng hindi ka shift ng shift. wala kang date hawak na lang kay dayunyor.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast