New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    I'm a newbie AT owner. Been driving a MT since 1998. In an AT, if I press on the brakes with the vehicle still in motion, I normally return from D to N in preparation to stop. Now the problem is, I sometimes overshift to R but with my feet still pressing on the brakes. Will this damage my transmission? In comparison to a MT where you hear a craking sound if you mistakenly shift gear, at least I haven't heard of any. Correct me if I am wrong. In an AT, if I press on the brakes, this is also equivalent to pressing on the clutch in the case of an MT, wherein the effect is the gears are temporarily disengaged?

2. Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Short answer: You don't need to shift to N from D when approaching or preparing for a stop. Just brake to slow the car down, then brake to a complete stop. Depending on whether you're in a stop, you can stay in D if it will be a short one... or shift to N or P if it's going to be long.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    ^ IMO, unless you're really PARKED, it is normally safer to just put the gear on N then apply handbrake on traffic. When I use AT cars, I don't put the gear on P during traffic cause of the risk that it passes through R to and fro D.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet PAC View Post
    I'm a newbie AT owner. Been driving a MT since 1998. In an AT, if I press on the brakes with the vehicle still in motion, I normally return from D to N in preparation to stop. Now the problem is, I sometimes overshift to R but with my feet still pressing on the brakes. Will this damage my transmission? In comparison to a MT where you hear a craking sound if you mistakenly shift gear, at least I haven't heard of any. Correct me if I am wrong. In an AT, if I press on the brakes, this is also equivalent to pressing on the clutch in the case of an MT, wherein the effect is the gears are temporarily disengaged?
    like what the guy above says, just brake without disengaging your trans, until you come to a stop. then put the trans on N or P.
    shifting from D to R at speed may unduly stress your AT. in the looong run, it may cause early AT retirement.
    some models won't let you shift from D to R while at speed, as a precaution.
    pressing on the brakes in AT is just like pressing on the brakes in MT: the gears are still engaged, only the AT allows slippage. no, it ain't the equivalent of a clutch.
    and experts agree that N is the proper position when the car is not moving for some time. remaining in D with your brakes on to keep the car from moving, puts stress on your engine and trans, and brakes.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    I would normally put the car to stop before shifting D to N. Havent tried shifting an AT car in motion though.

* TS - Not sure if this also applies to Hyundai AT's, mine still has this shifter button. I dont normally press it when shifting from D to N to avoid overshooting to R or P. I just push it back and forth when shift D to N and vice versa.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Thank you all for the Inputs. Actually, I just did it 3x accidentaly shifting from D to R but at decelerating speed (around 20-10kph) and while pressing on the brakes. And yes when I'm stopped by a traffic light I shift to N and apply the hand brakes because I noticed staying on D at prolonged stop still puts stress on the engine.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Another question if you don't mind, I've heard of this technique to pump or make "bomba" the gas pedal for efficient AT driving. May I get your opinion on this? Thanks!

8. Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Not really making a pumping motion, but more of not necessary to apply steady pressure on the gas pedal. Especially if you're already on your desired speed, you can relax from the gas pedal until such time you feel you're "decelerating" already (with practice and as you get experience you'll get the hang of it). Also, you can sort of "trick" the A/T to shift early. Once you've gained speed, get off the pedal and watch your rpm drop at which time you'll also feel the gear shifting up. Those are subtle changes so as I've said with more experience and conscious driving (it helps if you have the radio off) you'll ultimately get the hang of it.

9. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet PAC View Post
    Thank you all for the Inputs. Actually, I just did it 3x accidentaly shifting from D to R but at decelerating speed (around 20-10kph) and while pressing on the brakes. And yes when I'm stopped by a traffic light I shift to N and apply the hand brakes because I noticed staying on D at prolonged stop still puts stress on the engine.
    I'm by no means an expert but I dont think keeping it in D while stopped puts stress, if any, on the engine, unless you have bad idling. Remember, the engine will continue to rotate/combust even when you are stopped. It just doesnt connect to the drive shaft (in the case of an AT, the torque converter). Also remember, AT is designed for this.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Learned a lot from this thread thanks for the inputs. Guess I really need to practice driving an AT efficiently. BTW, my ride is an Accent Hatch AT. So far my first 2 FC computation registered 10.5km/lit. That's 75% city with moderate to heavy traffic, 25% highway running at 100-120kph. I read from other threads it can do 15-18km/lit.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast