New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    From Top Gear Philippines:

Hyundai PH upgrades 1.4L Accent

24 Jun 2013 Hyundai has upgraded the 1.4-liter Accent with manual transmission, giving it a new engine-and-transmission combo that promises smoother acceleration and enhanced fuel frugality.According to the Korean carmaker, the new 1.4-liter dual-CVVT Kappa engine replaces the old single-CVVT Gamma engine and thoroughly optimizes the power unit's 99hp and 133Nm for significant improvement in overtaking performance. How the new engine is better than the old one in terms of power output has us scratching our heads since the Gamma engine did put out 107hp and 136Nm. (Are we missing anything here?) Anyway, the new engine is supposedly even more intelligent than before since its intake valves can be opened from 10% to 100% to give the engine the right amount of air-and-fuel mixture for optimum combustion. The exhaust valves are also programmed to efficiently expel the combusted gas, thus maximizing the succeeding air-fuel ignition for more efficient performance and greater fuel economy.A six-speed manual transmission replaces the five-speed gearbox of the previous model, with the extra gear allowing the car to keep the engine rpm low, improving its fuel economy. What's surprising about the upgraded Accent is this: Despite the new engine and transmission, Hyundai Asia Resources is selling it at the same price of P618,000.You can even buy it now through "Hyundai Financing Advantage," which runs until June 30. The deal options are: P40,000 discount on cash purchase of the 1.4-liter DCVVT GL (MT) and the CVVT GL (AT); P25,751 monthly amortization for the GL (MT), orP29,501 monthly amortization for the GL (AT) at 0% interest (with 50% down payment on a 12-month payment scheme); Down payment of as low as P88,000 for the GL (MT); or Low monthly amortization of only P6,513 for the GL (MT) with a 50% down payment at 60 months to pay.This, we suppose, is how Hyundai preempts the imminent arrival of the new Toyota Vios.

Bakit kaya underpowered compared sa previous one?
    Last edited by roydok; July 2nd, 2013 at 09:19 AM.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2009
    i think for 1 they have to change the engine because of issues doon sa old engine na usually kumakatok daw.
    they have no choice but to use this new engine even if it's underpowered compare to the old engine.

3. Join Date
    May 2005
    Some of the reasons why:

http://tsikot.com/forums/hyundai-car...sa-casa-92845/

http://tsikot.com/forums/hyundai-car...-owners-91415/

http://tsikot.com/forums/hyundai-car...e-knock-80216/

=============

I think I also read that this (Kappa engine) "upgrade" only applies to the 1.4 M/T.

1.4 A/T still has the "old" controversial Gamma engine.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by number001 View Post
    Some of the reasons why:

http://tsikot.com/forums/hyundai-car...sa-casa-92845/

http://tsikot.com/forums/hyundai-car...-owners-91415/

http://tsikot.com/forums/hyundai-car...e-knock-80216/

=============

I think I also read that this (Kappa engine) "upgrade" only applies to the 1.4 M/T.

1.4 A/T still has the "old" controversial Gamma engine.
    This is a difficult decision/choice for aspiring, new Hyundai Accent sedan 1.4 Liter owners:

1. Overpowered Gamma single-CVVT engine with 4-speed A/T with engine knocks vs.

2. Underpowered Kappa dual-CVVT engine with 6-speed M/T.
    Last edited by roydok; July 2nd, 2013 at 10:53 AM.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by roydok View Post
    This is a difficult decision/choice for aspiring, new Hyundai Accent sedan 1.4 Liter owners:

1. Overpowered Gamma single-CVVT engine with 4-speed A/T with engine knocks vs.

2. Underpowered Kappa dual-CVVT engine with 6-speed M/T.
    When you say Underpowered, talaga considerable weaker siya sa previos engine?.. or would it still suffice a decent ride?

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by AnOnymousNewbie View Post
    When you say Underpowered, talaga considerable weaker siya sa previos engine?.. or would it still suffice a decent ride?
    Kindly read the 1st post. It contains both horsepower and torque ratings for both engines.;-)

7. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Unless you've driven it, you can't dismiss it as underpowered compared to the previous Gamma 1.4.

I've driven the Gamma 1.4 and I don't think it's as powerful as its 107 hp on paper might lead you to believe. If this "weaker" engine has a better powerband that fares well with its transmission, then it'll be faster and more useful that its knocking predecessor.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Yes, I have driven both. Gamma engine from my sister's unit and the other one a test unit with a kappa.
    Last edited by roydok; July 2nd, 2013 at 10:28 PM.

Yes, I have driven both. Gamma engine from my sister's unit and the other one a test unit with a kappa.
    And how is it underpowered? 99hp and 133nm for a light subcompact, underpowered? If this addresses the knocking issues, then it should be more than enough to power this small car.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Sir what's you're verdict? Does the Kappa engine makes you feel like it has more power under the hood than the Gamma?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast