New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Hyundai released today the details of their new diesel performance powerplant - the Hyundai R-Engine. The diesel Hyundai R-Engine comes in two sizes, 2.0 and 2.2-litre, with power outputs of 184PS/392Nm and 200PS/436Nm respectively. The Hyundai R-Engine features a third generation common rail system with piezo-electric injectors to deliver fuel at 1800-bar. The Hyundai R-Engine also features an electronic variable geometry turbocharger and an advanced engine control unit (air system-based charge control).

The Hyundai R-Engine will enter production in 2009 and will power the new SUV vehicles and large saloons.

Hyundai Press Release:

"R proves Hyundai's diesel development capabilities really are world-class. With diesels becoming cleaner and more fuel efficient all the time, there's a growing demand for diesel powerplants worldwide and Hyundai is well positioned to supply the market with the very best diesel technology," said Dr Hyun-Soon Lee, president of the Corporate Research and Development Division.

The all-aluminum R-Engine is fitted with a 16-valve dual overhead camshaft which is driven by an internal steel silent timing chain. For reduced vibration and lower noise, the R gets a lower balance shaft which has been encased in a stiffened ladder frame housing for increased rigidity. Weight saving features include serpentine belt with isolation pulley, a plastic head cover, plastic intake manifold and plastic oil filter housing.

To achieve Euro-5 emission compliancy, the R is fitted with a close-coupled diesel particulate filter plus highly efficient exhaust gas recirculation with by-pass valve.

Over 500 prototype engines were built during the 42 month-long development period which encompassed a wide variety performance and emissions tests, endurance as well as NVH, cooling and lubrication studies. Finally, the engine was installed in vehicles and subjected to exhaustive testing under all imaginable environmental conditions.

The R-Engine will enter production next year and will see its first application in new SUV vehicles and large saloons.

Ang lakas na ng mga 2.0 and 2.2L CRDIs ng Hyundai.

I wonder how much power increase the V6 CRDI E-VGT of Veracruz would make. I reckon it will be pushed beyond 300hp++
    Last edited by Horsepower; November 8th, 2008 at 07:51 AM.

2. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Accdg to Hyundai UK

R-Engine 2.2L actually produces 215ps/461Nm

"All-new R Diesel with two stage turbocharging i-mode is powered by an all-new 2.2-litre R diesel engine which first passes the intake air through a low-pressure turbocharger, from where it is forced into a high-pressure turbocharger for maximum boost: 158kw (215ps) and 47kg.m of peak torque (461 Nm).

The R Engine has a power density in excess of 70kw per litre putting Hyundai diesel technology in the same class as any leading German automaker. When its low-end torque of 30kg.m is compared with the 19kg.m of low-end torque delivered by the standard R Engine, one quickly appreciates the value of dual-stage turbo charging.

Even at maximum loads, the engine does not incur fuel consumption penalties thanks to its high capacity for exhaust gas recirculation that also benefits efforts to reduce NOx emissions.

The R Engine is assured of meeting future, more stringent EU exhaust emission standards. Mass production of the R Engine is scheduled to begin with the standard (single turbocharged) version in 2009, with the dual-stage turbocharged edition arriving in the first half of 2011."

Wow, power with lots'a torque on a puny 2.2 diesel powerplant! I wonder how much ang production costs ng ganitong engines. I hope it does not jack up the prices of their diesel fed cars.

Now imagine an I30 hatchback with that 2.2 R E-VGT engine.......

Or even on an I20!!!

Malamang iiyak ang mga horsepower gas kids coz this looks like it has a very good torque curve (aside from the peak power ratings), being a turbo diesel. Their rice rockets burned by a Hyundai!

4. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    hehehe. yeah peak Torque would be available around 1500rpm.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    palakas tlga ng palakas ang mga diesel ngayon ....

6. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Pero ang sabi ng may mga montero sport na naka 3.2L "Masyadong stress ang mga makina na yan".

7. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    lol

Hindi naman ito F1 engine. hehehe

sa F1, yung turbo na 1.5L 1,500hp *12,000rpm++.

Yun ang medyo stressed siguro kasi ito 6,000rpm lang with the redline starting at 4,500 and we barely even let it touch 3,000 (pag racing mood lang) since the full pulling power is available at around 1,500rpm pa lang.

Tsaka 215ps lang ito. I'm sure this has gone through stress tests already and passed with flying colors.

Besides, I don't think someone as big as Hyundai would shoot themselves in the foot and waste all their efforts to remove the korean stigma.

Though I kind of hate Hyundai for not putting CRDI engines in the Coupes. I mean BMW has done it already with the 6-series. It's a proven winner.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    It just shows that Hyundai has progressed a lot in engine design. Hehe. Pinagmalaki pa rin nila ang 3.2L sa 2.2 ng SF dahil with that amount of HP *150 sa liit ng makina ay stressed raw! Kaya nakakatawa lalo na pag lumabas na itong R engine sa market. Anu na naman kaya ang sasabihin ng mga Toyata at Mitsu fanboys.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    "Stress" on an engine at such low revs is relative.

It'd only be an issue if we were comparing diesels with wildly different rev-limits and powerbands. A diesel that makes power at 500 rpm is obviously much less stressed than a diesel that makes power at 5000 rpm.

But the Mitsubishi Strada 3.2 is a CRDi engine. Like all CRDi engines, it only comes on boost at 2000 rpm. It's not a tractor engine that can lug at 500 rpms.

Besides, one of the benefits of high pressure direct injection is more efficient cooling and a more homogenous charge mixture... which lowers the danger of high boost and high rpms. A high-pressure direct injection engine at 18 psi of boost is much less stressed than a precombustion or manifold-injection engine at the same boost... which is either starving for fuel and overheating or gulping fuel at a terrific rate in an effort to keep cool. Same goes, whether you're talking about gasoline or diesel.

The only worry point is the longevity of the high-pressure system itself. But if both engines are CRDi (and both the 3.2 and the 2.2 engines are), then neither is categorically better.

The only problem in practice is that the 2.2 will have less inherent torque and a less flexible powerband for towing. But as long as you aren't towing a 1000 kg trailer, that's not a problem.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

10. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    *niky: the 2.2L SF (current model) can tow 2,000kg (braked). Do you mean to say it will have lesser capacity?

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Hyundai R-Engine CRDI E-VGT 2.0 & 2.2L makes 200PS/436Nm