New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Mikey,

Wala namang shudder ang sasakya at high speed. Kung high speed sa concrete, lumalakas ang cabin noise.

Ride comfort is ok. Di nga lang yata bagay kung mataba kasi malalim ang front seats.

Magallanes interchange to Calamba exit at 80-120 kph at 1 AM. ok naman. kailangan mo lang mag-doble tingin bilang caution sa blind spots.

Madali namang mag-overtake kung naka 70 ka.

Di pa ako nagpalit ng stock tires eh.

2. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    how far can you go with a single liter of diesel?

does it really go up to 20km normal driving?

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Thanks for the additional info, happymeal. Dang, I hate your avatar... nakakagutom

4. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    17-18 Km lang. Combined highway at start-stop driving. Refuel up to auto stop lang.

5. Heretic Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mikey177

• Mayroon bang shudder or unusual noises at high speed?
    • How's the ride comfort on long trips?
    • How fast have you driven these babies and for how long (sustained speed)?
    • How easily can they overtake other vehicles that around going at around 60-70 kph?
    • Kumusta yung stock tires... pinalitan nyo ba kaagad at anong brand ang recommended nyo?
    I didn't hear any weird noises and shudder at high speeds except for the "wind noise" courtesy of the Matrix's broad windshield.

Shifting gear is "love it or hate it." Some of my friends find it too loose and "rubbery," some find it light and easy.

I took her to La Union for her break-in (try searching for a post I made some time ago) and measured her fuel consumption at 20+ km/l with the aircon on, with an average of 2,000rpm; 12+ km/l on city rush hours. She could go for 17+km/l on highways at 3000+ rpm.

Ride comfort was definitely better than our 1.6 Altis; she did a better job of absorbing potholes and bumps. I dunno, perhaps because its suspension is fully-independent or the seats are placed a little higher. The AUV-like space inside is relaxing especially for the passengers on the second row compared to a compact sedan.

Our Matrix can do a 0-100km/h burst slightly faster than our Altis which is not too shabby considering that the Matrix is 550+ pounds heavier. She however loses at "peak speed" maxing out at 170 while the Altis could breach 180. I haven't tried a sustained speed of 170 but have done a 140 at NLEX.

I live in Tivoli Greens Subd. here in Commonwealth so I get to encounter a handful of reckless drivers at 60+kph everyday. Once you get the hang of the Matrix's torque, you'll be able to easily overtake them. However, the left mirror is flat - you could see things the way they are distance-wise but you lose out on seeing them at a farther distance. This creates a blind spot. Other than the left side mirror, I didn't have any problems regarding her visibility.

I've replaced the stock Hankook Optimo 185/65-14's with Bridgestone Turanza 195-65-14's. The stock tires reminded me of our "retired" Corolla XE's Goodyear NTC-3's - very noisy on conrete pavements. Handling seems to have improved as well.

Once when I was parking in Gateway Mall, Cubao, there was this tall, 35+ year old guy with a Toyota Landcruiser seemingly waiting for someone. Apprently, he was waiting for me because he wanted to ask me about the Matrix. He was amazed as to how quiet the engine was. He told me that he needed a spacious sub 700k car for "picking up the kids." According to him, he knew Pocholo Ramirez and that Ramirez recommended him the Matrix because of its space, efficiency and power. I dunno if the guy was bull$hitting me or posing of as someone with "street cred" lol but he seemed sincere.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Thanks for the feedback on the Matrix, Heretic. I'll definitely check this vehicle out when I visit the Hyundai showroom in Dagupan City. Sana may test drive unit sila.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Update: I checked out the Matrix at the Hyundai Dagupan showroom today. I think I can live with the blind spots, and the driver's position (not seeing the hood) is the same as with my Sedona. I'll probably get backup sensors installed if ever we decide to get the unit.

New question: I asked the technician there about the turbo cooldown time for the engine of the Matrix and he said that these new diesel engines were so high tech that there was no need to cool them down anymore before turning the ingition off. Sabi nya na yung coolant ay dumadaan na rin sa loob ng turbine kaya di na sya kailangan palamigin Totoo ba ito o ini-istir lang nya ako?

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    well, tutal technician na rin yung kausap mo. why not try to ask him for the service manual that they have for the diagram of the matrix's turbo. then ask him to show you where it says that the coolant really passes thru the turbine. :D

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Yeah, some things sound just too good to be true. Tapos hanep yung hype nila sa brochure ng Matrix... "Get as much as 25.1 km/liter on long drives." Uhuh, anong klaseng driving style naman kaya ginamit dun? I know that the engine of the Matrix is thrifty, but I think that's an exaggeration already. Still, I'm going back for a test drive in a few months

10. Heretic Guest
    New question: I asked the technician there about the turbo cooldown time for the engine of the Matrix and he said that these new diesel engines were so high tech that there was no need to cool them down anymore before turning the ingition off. Sabi nya na yung coolant ay dumadaan na rin sa loob ng turbine kaya di na sya kailangan palamigin Totoo ba ito o ini-istir lang nya ako?
    I haven't breezed on the technical details of my Matrix's VGT yet, however, on days where I average 3000+ rpm/70+ kph, I could notice a more "violent" engine shutdown if I choose not to idle her for 30+ seconds before turning her off. If I'm caught up with heavy traffic where she could only do 2000pm max, I couldn't feel this "shakedown" even without a cooldown.

Yeah, some things sound just too good to be true. Tapos hanep yung hype nila sa brochure ng Matrix... "Get as much as 25.1 km/liter on long drives." Uhuh, anong klaseng driving style naman kaya ginamit dun?
    Best that I got was 23 km/l on a round trip to Laoag with my erpat and gramps. Shift every 2000 rpm and maintain an 80+ kph speed with aircon set on 1 - 2. We only encountered traffic here in Commonwealth.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Hyundai Matrix CRDi / Diesel Variant