New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2011

Hyundai, Kia to pay 900,000 owners for overstating mileage on window stickers

view link here: Hyundai, Kia to pay 900,000 owners for overstating mileage on window stickers | Motoramic - Yahoo! Autos

yes, money in our pockets folks..or gas credit at least

hmm, wonder if this extends to us here in the PH...my 2011 Accent isn't affected but I was led to believe by my SA it was one fuel effecient sedan able to deliver almost 20kms/L..and that it can rival 2010 and earlier diesel CRDI Accents..oh really?!..imagine my surprise when it averages 12kms/L now and it only has 8k on the odo despite being a year an a half old..

2. Join Date
    Aug 2011
    ^ good question... but I don't believe in SA saying that it can reach up to 20km/L. it depends on how one drives the vehicle and the traffic situation (what else?) i manage mine to reach average of 9-10kms/L, pure city driving, night rush our condition.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Kasama ang 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe... Pero North America lang ang cover.. Hindi kasama ang Pinas..
    Last edited by imperialv; November 3rd, 2012 at 07:05 AM.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Yup. This only covers the United States, and people who bought the car there based on false premises in terms of EPA ratings.

An Accent may very well hit 20. But not in traffic. Same with the diesel Accent. It can hit nearly 30, but in traffic, don't expect more than 15 kml.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Times like this when I wish we have our own EPA. Still, Hyundai should compensate Pinoys as well for this "mistake".

Breaking: Hyundai, Kia Changing MPG Numbers Due to Testing Error - WOT on Motor Trend

6. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Never believe to SAs saying the car they are selling can reach as far as XXKM/L in normal driving situation...

Because it's a complete BS!

It can hit XXKM/L, on controlled circumstances... Less braking, no traffic, downhill, aircon is off, no spare tire...

My accent 1.4AT averages only around 10-11KM a liter on city traffic, 13-14KMs a liter on highway.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2009
    HARI should apologize to Pinoy buyers as well.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by anonemus View Post
    HARI should apologize to Pinoy buyers as well.
    Since we don't have an EPA, and HARI did not do constrained, standardized EPA testing, why should they?

This is a uniquely American problem. As the US allows car makers to self-test and self-report. Want something more accurate, look at European economy standards or the Japanese 10-15 cycle. US EPA is only applicable to US market cars.

Our local Hyundais don't even come with the GDI engines involved in the US EPA fiasco in the first place!

9. Join Date
    Jun 2009
    ^ But even in a subtle way, didn't HARI use excellent EPA fuel economy rating when they marketed Hyundai cars here in Pinas?

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The dealers will always quote local economy in km/l. As far as I recall, I have not seen any press releases citing EPA economy. I don't recall any manufacturer citing EPA for official releases, actually. They always give internal testing numbers or Korean market numbers, because those are in km/l.

Besides... why quote US figures? The US EPA highway number for the Elantra 1.8 is a piddling 40 mpg (18 km/l). That's something I can do in my Lynx 2.0, and even the Civic 1.8, rated at 39 mpg by the EPA, can hit 18-20.

Makes more sense from a marketing point of view to tout the Elantra 1.6's ability to hit 20 km/l on the highway, doesn't it?
    Last edited by niky; November 4th, 2012 at 09:32 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Hyundai Kia to pay 900 000 owners