New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Hi fellow-tsikoteers. i am a new owner of a 1.3 2005 hyundai getz, which i bought second hand. initially, i encountered no problems at all until i DIYed to wash the engine. I am now encountering some engine troubles: The engine seems to have no problem at idle speed.but, if the car has traveled about 2-4 km, and reached normal operating temperatures, it starts to stall as if the fuel line is cut off from the engine, and after a while i can start it with no problem, however, just a few metes of travel it stalls again. another related issue is that when the radiator fan starts automatically then shuts off, the engine shuts off with it. what seems to be the problem?i hope you can help me with this. thanks in advance guys.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2003
    make sure the spark plugs are all dried up.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by wakin View Post
    make sure the spark plugs are all dried up.
    i am pretty sure they are dry because i didn't start the engine for 2 days after the wash, and i used the car for 1 day before the troubles start.. thanks for the response.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    This is why you shouldn't hose down your engine compartment. There are a whole number of sensors inside that might be knocked loose or get contaminated by moisture if you spray them with pressurized water.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by conzky View Post
    Hi fellow-tsikoteers. i am a new owner of a 1.3 2005 hyundai getz, which i bought second hand. initially, i encountered no problems at all until i DIYed to wash the engine. I am now encountering some engine troubles: The engine seems to have no problem at idle speed.but, if the car has traveled about 2-4 km, and reached normal operating temperatures, it starts to stall as if the fuel line is cut off from the engine, and after a while i can start it with no problem, however, just a few metes of travel it stalls again. another related issue is that when the radiator fan starts automatically then shuts off, the engine shuts off with it. what seems to be the problem?i hope you can help me with this. thanks in advance guys.
    I suggest you bring the car to casa for diagnostic test. Kung malapit ka sa Olivares College sa Sucat road Paranaque then better visit THP Auto SPA to have your Getz undergo diagnostic test. Meron silang equipment, mura lang ang charge at siguradong tutulungan ka ng mga tao doon.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by weisshorn View Post
    I suggest you bring the car to casa for diagnostic test. Kung malapit ka sa Olivares College sa Sucat road Paranaque then better visit THP Auto SPA to have your Getz undergo diagnostic test. Meron silang equipment, mura lang ang charge at siguradong tutulungan ka ng mga tao doon.
    Thanks for the advice. but, bringing my car to the shop is one of my problems because for sure i wont make there. BTW, i come from La Union.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    bro kahit for 2 days hindi mo ginamit, hindi basta matutuyo yung tubig na pumasok sa mga connectors... kaya ako pag gas engine hindi ko binabasa... hindi naman nakakasira yung alikabok... buga lang ng hangin dapat...

try mo remove lahat ng connection sa engine.. bugahan mo ng hangin... sigurado may nag loose or wet pa na connector.. worse is kung may nasira na sensor...

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Even with modern diesels, considering they use electronic injection, a mass air pressure sensor (and sometimes mass airflow), a crank sensor and an ECU (which is sometimes in the engine bay), you should only use electronics-safe cleaners and avoid using high-pressure water in the engine bay.

Some modern diesels come with warnings, in fact, against hosing down the bay.
    Last edited by niky; February 21st, 2012 at 05:08 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

9. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    +1000 po ako duon sa "hindi nakakasira ng makina ang alikabok", kasi po ang electrical system in our cars, at lalo na po yung may mga electronic sensors and ECU na sasakyan ay kalaban ang tubig and moisture, kaya sana po ay maging lesson ang thread na ito sa para ibang member. weak air pressure and basahan lamang po ay ok ng panlinis sa engine bay, JM2C.. Sa TS naman po, I owned a 1.1 M/T Hyundai Getz for 6 years (2005-2011), at one time ay nadaan ako sa baha at may nabasa ng tubig sa engine bay at nag stall din ang makina, dinala ko lang sa casa para maayos uli at macheck yung part na nagmoist. fortunately ay walang nasirang pyesa at naayos din agad. I hope na sana ay ganito rin lang ang nangyari sa Getz nyo...

10. Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Try to bring it to your nearest casa and I'm sure that they have this computerized diagnostic system to check on the problem. I agree with them that dust will not affect the engine. You can clean it with dry cloth especially on the easy to reach areas of your engine bay. I also strongly agree that washing the engine with water especially if the one doing it is not that knowledgeable will truly experience trouble because of moisture.

I owned a 2005 1.3L MT Getz and until now it's in good running condition. What I do in cleaning my engine is; I'm using dry cloth and I'm using Pledge (yung panglinis ng mga kahoy na lamesa). Just apply it in the cloth and wipe it within your easy reach area of your engine. Just sharing.......

hyundai getz engine trouble