New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by nosferatu194 View Post
    i'll keep you guys posted...my unit was also running well and didnt show any signs of trouble before the incident happened..all of a sudden it blew up!
    Wouldn't you have a picture of where the damage is? It could help the other Starex owners by doing an inspection on their engine. If it's metal fatigue, there could be telltale signs of an impending failure.

However, if it was caused by an internal component flying out, then there's no way of finding out if it will happen to somebody else.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    My best guess, the incident will be blamed on a defect in the crankcase that occurred during manufacturing and wasn't detected until it gave way under normal operating stress.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    thats new... hope you can upload photos of the wrecked crankcase sir...

4. Join Date
    May 2006
    A kink in the Legend's armor. I agree, it could very well be an isolated case.

Ok so what factors can make a crankcase go kaboom!?

This was indeed very scary, fortunately no one was hurt.

5. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by khazpert View Post
    thats new... hope you can upload photos of the wrecked crankcase sir...
    i'll try to post the pictures that i took..by the way, the blown away portion of the crankcase is at the side near the engine mount..i didnt see any internal engine part fly off, i think the main reason is really the strength of materials of the crankcase
    http://s627.photobucket.com/albums/t...scrankcase.jpg
    http://s627.photobucket.com/albums/t...4152009756.jpg
    http://s627.photobucket.com/albums/t...4152009758.jpg

6. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    inayos ko lang po sir

7. Join Date
    May 2006
    Wow those are indeed bits and pieces!

Looks like a mini C4 was lodged in there.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    ang panget naman kung hindi magandang paabutin ng 1/4 ang fuel tank, pano kung wala ka talagang mapakargahan? edi lahat ang taas ng possibility na tumirik anywhere kahit kakastart lang sa bahay nakakatakot naman.. i hope not all diesel engines are like that one

i could remember my tito's carnival is a diesel too lumang model 2nd hand and its always been in use. madalas din nauubusan yun ng fuel pagpauwi na or bago umalis kasi di nalalagyan agad pero so far wala naman akong naaalalang ganyang scenario sila na kinukwento about their carnival.. (and hindi ko rin ninanais na magkaroon sila ng ganyang experience.) and yeah mababang speed lang din takbo ng kanila kasi usually masikip na daanan (count it as city driving) kasi dumadaan yun sa mga masisikip na kalsada at mga eskinita

9. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by nosferatu194 View Post
    hello to everyone, i'm an owner of an 8-month old grand starex (gold series). i purchased the unit from a local dealer (Hyundai Manila Bay) last Aug.'08. i had all the PMS at the same dealer and the current odometer reading is approximately 7,700 kms. last April 15, 2009, i was driving my van on my way home when i suddenly heared a loud bang from the engine bay, plumes of smoke billowed out from the engine bay. i immediately pulled to the side of the road to inspect the incident. i was surprised to discover the engine bay splattered with engine oil and the crankcase area near the engine mount has a gaping hole. i inspected the underside of the van and i saw oil dripping from the engine. i also recovered a few pieces of metal fragments which i recognized to be former parts of the engine's crankcase . i informed the dealer immediately about the incident and they sent a transport truck to pick up my unit a few hours later. the unit was then later brought to the dealer (Manila Bay). i asked them to give me a copy of the investigation result on how and ehy the incident occured. i asked the dealer how long it would take for them to replace the unit (since the unit is only 8 months old and very well under the 5-yr warranty) they told me that they are not sure and will have to wait for the result of the investigation how the incident happened. i requested for a service unit upon knowing that they couldnt give a definite timeframe for the duration of the repair. at first, they told me they dont have and they dont provide a service unit..that's the time i really got upset and demanded that they provide a service unit since the damage occured at a most unlikely condition (30 kph*2000rpm) i also sent an email to Hyundai Asia (philippines) and Hyundai Main regarding my complaint and the incident that occured...unfortunately until now they didnt respond..i had to bug them almost everyday for the service unit..after one week, they finally provided a service unit (a grand starex cvx)..the dealer also informed me that the vehicle is covered by the warranty so they will REPAIR it with no cost for me.. until now (april 27) i still dont have a definite date as to when they can return my unit to me..has anyone of you experienced the same defect? i'd appreciate your replies..thanks!!

sorry to hear that sir...
    to begin with, vehicle, whatever make it is.. gawa ng tao yan.. from it's earliest stage.. meaning even the most miniscule part.. so hindi natin maiiwasan ang product failure from time to time. may human human intervantion kasi..
    i remember one time na nag-pull out ako ng g.starex from our stockyard 2 years ago. the same thing happened, smoke from the engine housing, loss compression etc..then nag-stall na yung engine.. what happened was nabali ang crank shaft. who would've imagined na puwedeng mabali yun.. pure steel yun.
    the point is cases like these, even with other brands, happen though very isolated.
    now what you can do is go to HARI, dito na sa may ayala ave office nila, i think 3-4 buildings from paseo. don't take no for an answer. same with hyundai manila bay.. baka kasi lumang unit din nabigay sa'yo sir. they have this way kasi na they stock up lot's of units. malaki inventory nila so puwedeng luma na din ang naibigay sa'yo. kaya nga malaki sila magbigay ng discount.
    have a safe motoring sir

10. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Burai View Post
    ang panget naman kung hindi magandang paabutin ng 1/4 ang fuel tank, pano kung wala ka talagang mapakargahan? edi lahat ang taas ng possibility na tumirik anywhere kahit kakastart lang sa bahay nakakatakot naman.. i hope not all diesel engines are like that one

i could remember my tito's carnival is a diesel too lumang model 2nd hand and its always been in use. madalas din nauubusan yun ng fuel pagpauwi na or bago umalis kasi di nalalagyan agad pero so far wala naman akong naaalalang ganyang scenario sila na kinukwento about their carnival.. (and hindi ko rin ninanais na magkaroon sila ng ganyang experience.) and yeah mababang speed lang din takbo ng kanila kasi usually masikip na daanan (count it as city driving) kasi dumadaan yun sa mga masisikip na kalsada at mga eskinita
    not all diesel.. for crdi only, kasi before going to the fuel injectors, the fuel is stored at its common rail. mataas ang pressue inside the commonrail about 2000-2700 psi i think. so kung magkakaroon ng vacuum within the common rail, which maybe then caused by insufficient fuel in the gas tank. puwede magka problema.
    but for ordinary ( n-a) diesel engine hindi ganun ka-delikado. wala kasi yun crdi technology plus ang pressure is nasa injector pumps lang and it's around 300-450 psi only.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
grand starex's crankcase blew up!