New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2010
    Hi, Im about to buy an Elantra kaso my parents are trying to convince me to get a diesel suv instead para daw tipid sa fuel and mas safe sa baha

I'll be using it for my daily commute from morato to ortigas. Based on my research, I expect Elantra to have around 8-10km/L city driving and pms to be around 3k pesos.

Can you give me an idea on the FC and PMS of Tucson DSL GL? pros and cons of elantra vs tucson?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Magkaibang category yung vehicle choices mo pero one thing's for sure. Tama parents mo na safer ang tucson compared sa elantra,pag baha mas kampante karin. Regarding fc i think halos pareho lang sila, diba sir sg? But.... 10 pesos cheaper ang diesel. Makaka tipid ka in the long run pag diesel, initially mas mataas purchase cost mo but mababawi mo rin pag high mileage ka. And another thing.... Sino ba bibili? Ikaw o parents mo? Kung parents mo by all means tucson ka na.

3. Join Date
    May 2010
    thanks sa reply Sir Bratski. I'll be paying for the price of the elantra and they'll be paying for the difference if I get tucson. Gusto ko rin yung Tucson kaso concern lang ako sa PMS(w/c i'll be paying) and ride comfort. Sobrang matagtag daw yung tucson. Thing is, mostly pang city driving lang so hindi siya high mileage although pumupunta ako ng pampanga from time to time.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Ako, I'd go for the Elantra. Yes, diesel may be cheaper, but in the long run talo ka pa rin in some ways. The CRDi Tucson will definitely cost a lot during PMS compared to the Elantra, &, kahit naman siguro ako kung may baha tapos hindi kaya ng Elantra sugurin ito kahit na may Tucson akong dala hindi ko pa rin siya isusugod. It's not the old-school diesel you can rely on during times like these. Meron nga eh, Santa Fe, sinugod sa baha ... sa gitna namatay ang makina.

Your parents may think na parang ano ito ... Nissan Patrol Safari na almost WATERPROOF. Well, ako na nagsasabi sayo, it's not what you think it is. Baka nga mas " safe " pa ang Everest kaysa sa tucson, eh.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by trig View Post
    thanks sa reply Sir Bratski. I'll be paying for the price of the elantra and they'll be paying for the difference if I get tucson. Gusto ko rin yung Tucson kaso concern lang ako sa PMS(w/c i'll be paying) and ride comfort. Sobrang matagtag daw yung tucson. Thing is, mostly pang city driving lang so hindi siya high mileage although pumupunta ako ng pampanga from time to time.
    Hi,

Where did you read that tucson is matagtag? or sino nagsabi sayo? Tucson for me is one of the most comfy if not the most comy compact suv in the market right now. Go for Tucson, tama parents mo. Safer, high clearance sa baha, mas ok mag drive mas mataas, and kung evgt, matutuwa ka kung gusto mo matulin... diba SG.. PMS mas mahal nga lang pag diesel..

6. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by renzo_d10 View Post
    Ako, I'd go for the Elantra. Yes, diesel may be cheaper, but in the long run talo ka pa rin in some ways. The CRDi Tucson will definitely cost a lot during PMS compared to the Elantra, &, kahit naman siguro ako kung may baha tapos hindi kaya ng Elantra sugurin ito kahit na may Tucson akong dala hindi ko pa rin siya isusugod. It's not the old-school diesel you can rely on during times like these. Meron nga eh, Santa Fe, sinugod sa baha ... sa gitna namatay ang makina.

Your parents may think na parang ano ito ... Nissan Patrol Safari na almost WATERPROOF. Well, ako na nagsasabi sayo, it's not what you think it is. Baka nga mas " safe " pa ang Everest kaysa sa tucson, eh.
    Bro, nahuhuli ako sa balita. Ano meron sa everest? Hindi ba ito safe? :D

7. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by trig View Post
    If you'll be paying for the gas, I'll lean more on the Tucson too. Diesel's PMS costs are higher but is compensated by the price difference of diesel and gas during your trips to the station.

I suggest you go for the Tucson eVGT. In our country, there's really a benefit of having higher ground clearance. For example, you're less anxious whenever it rains and you need to be out on the streets. Also, you'll have an easier time on village humps when you're hauling your friends or family (I just remembered sumayad ako slightly yesterday while apat kami sa Sonata..damn large hump..) And since you mentioned you're driving around the city most of the time, the diesel's low-RPM torque of 1000-2500RPM would smack you a smile while driving. Heck, at those RPMs, I used to compare diesels with V6 gasoline engines. Ganun kalakas yun hatak ;)

Ride comfort wise, they shouldn't differ so much. Personally, I liked the Honda Civic's suspension and driving dynamics better than the Elantra. I do like the instrument separation on the Elantra. You might want to insist on a Sonata non-premium if ride comfort is really important (as well as brownie points if you're single).

And I would like to berate fellow forumers for giving opinions about vehicle safety. How can you say the Tucson is "safer" than the Elantra? Did you try crashing one yourselves? Last time I remember, US IIHS-HLDI rates them both satisfactorily in their crash evaluation and both of them received IIHS Top Safety Picks in their respective categories. Just because a vehicle is "bigger" does not mean that it's "better", rather it's best to check the vehicle's structural integrity. That's why we have safety institutes who test cars in crash courses.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    I too would gravitate towards the tucson lalo na kung this would be your only car and daily driver.

isang beses pa lang ako naka sakay ng tucson but "matagtag" never came to my mind during the ride.

9. Join Date
    May 2010
    salamat sa mga suggestions. Partly din kaya mas gusto ko elantra is, I'll be paying for it myself. Parang trophy siya for my years of hard work. Getting the tucson is like winning pero may kasamang daya or winning the pba all-filipino with an import lol

400k is huge, halos half na sya ng price ng elantra. I'd rather it be spent on our house.

Revgt has a lot of power and is really fast, thing is, I drive like an old man lol I don't drive fast. I'm not that good of a driver. So the only advantage I see is the ground clearance.

Checking the specs, yung minimum ground clearance ng tucson is 170. 150 naman sa elantra. tama ba na basis ito?

10. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by babkalakal View Post
    I too would gravitate towards the tucson lalo na kung this would be your only car and daily driver.

isang beses pa lang ako naka sakay ng tucson but "matagtag" never came to my mind during the ride.
    Kung makapapaghintay ka ng ilang linggo (or buwan) at isa lang ang oto mo . . . I'd say go for the Tucson since mas mataas siya ng konti (mas mataas ang ground clearance ng gen1), mas maluwag at mas makakargahan . . .

I had the same dillema about a month ago, choosing between a tucson and elantra . . . kaso given the fact na uncertain ang availability ng Tucson (and I badly needed a 2nd car), mas malakas ang fuel consumption (as expected with an SUV), and the fact that I'm keeping my Gen1 Tucson, I opted for a 1.8 Elantra.

Pero kung baha ang kalaban, at gusto mong diesel, perhaps a 4x4 VGT Strada is better . . . mas matagtag nga lang at mas mahirap i-park

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Elantra 1.8 vs Tucson revgt GL