New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    My sister currently owns a 2010 Hyundai Accent 1.4L A/T. This car belongs to the ones who experienced the now recognized engine knocks. She first experienced the engine knock within the the car's 1,000 km Odo reading. Currently the car's mileage is at 20,000 km+. She went through the whole process of ECU software updates, usual checks, etc... After the last update she was advised to only use Shell V-Power Nitro gas (97 RON). Still the engine knock persists and now together with percieved low power and higher fuel consumption not present before. After bringing it again sa casa sabi naman ay baka daw defective ang CVVT kaya kailangan palitan ito. Problem is it will take daw a long time to order parts from Korea.

In your expert opinion: Can engine knocks be caused by a defective CVVT?

Thank you very much.
    Last edited by roydok; March 31st, 2013 at 01:19 PM.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    She should get a second opinion.

If the CVVT switches over to high power mode (larger valve opening and overlap, more advanced ignition timing) too early (low rpm, low throttle position, high load), then the engine will be sucking in too much air and will run lean, causing knock. But an instrumented scan of the engine during operation should show when the CVVT switches modes. At the very least, put the car on the dyno and run it through a drive cycle with the OBDII plugged in and an AFR sensor shoved up the tailpipe to show that this is really the case.

Just guessing that it's a defective CVVT without showing error codes or performing the above demonstration is simply irresponsible.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    hehehe.. ala swerte pala ang trouble shooting technique nila!! Wala silang maipakita na error code o ebedinsiya that lead to the opinion na variable valve timing ang problema.. what the f**k..

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Sumasakit na nga ulo nila sa Hyundai. They are contemplating of bringing the whole thing to DTI and demand a full replacement/refund. I read the other threads regarding this issue and it seems things are quiet with the other tsikoteers with the same problem. Any updates on their end?

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Third party diagnostic? Speedlab has an OBDII reader, an O2 sensor and a dyno... but I don't know if a standard OBDII reader will show CVVT operation. It can be inferred from the readings, but that's not a definitive diagnosis.
    Last edited by niky; April 1st, 2013 at 11:15 AM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

6. Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Suggestion ko lang nang matuto ang HARI ay mag reklamo na lahat ng may problem sa kanila sa Korea. Ewan ko na lang kung ano gagawin nila

7. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jaggerx3 View Post
    Suggestion ko lang nang matuto ang HARI ay mag reklamo na lahat ng may problem sa kanila sa Korea. Ewan ko na lang kung ano gagawin nila
    Yes please! Nai-stun ako lagi sa new sta fe. Please lang umayos na kayo HARI.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Roydok, please refer to Teamaccentph.com directly PM our president Adam Mercado. I heard that they have had some arrangements with Hyundai before with the knocking issues (mine's CRDi that's why I'm not so sure), but I've heard of complains like this every so often and I think they've come to a consensus with this already. Or you may also try to log-in at teamhyundaiphil.com/forums and PM Neil Mercado.

Goodluck with your Accent.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by roydok View Post
    My sister currently owns a 2010 Hyundai Accent 1.4L A/T. This car belongs to the ones who experienced the now recognized engine knocks. She first experienced the engine knock within the the car's 1,000 km Odo reading. Currently the car's mileage is at 20,000 km+. She went through the whole process of ECU software updates, usual checks, etc... After the last update she was advised to only use Shell V-Power Nitro gas (97 RON). Still the engine knock persists and now together with percieved low power and higher fuel consumption not present before. After bringing it again sa casa sabi naman ay baka daw defective ang CVVT kaya kailangan palitan ito. Problem is it will take daw a long time to order parts from Korea.

In your expert opinion: Can engine knocks be caused by a defective CVVT?

Thank you very much.
    I think this was the long overdue problem before with tsikoter sir bradsky.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Just curious, since madami din naman na Accent na Taxi, just don't know if converted to LPG sila, my question is "bakit parang wala ata silang reklamo tulad nito"?

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Accent 1.4L A/T Engine Knock Now Due to CVVT Defect. (According sa Casa)