New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2010
    I just want to share the sad story of my 2010 Hyundai Sta Fe and hopefully get some positive inputs on what will be the most practical thing to do.

The first problem I encountered: "Annoying sound on the steering" I got my unit last April of 2010, after a week I experienced annoying sound (kumakalog ang steering) every time passing pot holes. After several check-ups and got second opinion from the other dealer, the parts was replaced and the problem was solved but it took five months including the ordering of parts from Korea. The parts is a circle aluminum that holds the steering.

Second Problem encountered: "Transmission" A couple of months ago, I was able to experience "kumakadyot ang sasakyan" if you change gear like Drive or Rear as in nakakatakot kasi parang gustong kumawala ng sasakyan right after you change gear kelangan lang talaga nakaapak ka sa preno. Tumatakbo naman sya pero mabagal ang hatak. I was supposed to bring the car to the dealer for them to see the actual scenario, kaya lang nakapambahay lang ako. So I decided to go home first and change my clothes--I parked the car and turnoff the engine, after changing clothes I turned on the engine and change gear to Rear and then Drive amazingly the problem disappeared! So I decided not to bring the car anymore to the dealer hoping na di na bumalik ang tranny problem. However here's the most weird situation, bumalik ang problema pero intermittent and usually not during office hours, so I cannot bring the car to the dealer whenever the problem occurs. As of now, all I have to do is to turn off the engine and start again and then go to my daily destination every time it happens. However, last week I experienced the same problem several times but always at night! So the next day, I brought it to the dealer and told them the problem. They fixed it but I don't really know what specific job they made to solve the problem because when I asked the service manager/supervisor, he told me that they made some tightening and cleaning on the tranny (parang di solusyon sa problema yun ah). After 5 days being fixed from the casa, bumalik na naman kanina ang problema sa tranny.

Third Problem Encountered: "Power Steering Assembly" When I brought the car to the dealer last week to check my tranny, at that same time they found out that the steering assembly is defective because of the leak of ATF at the engine cover. Since I forgot to get my shades from the compartment of my car, I informed them that I will get it by myself--and surprisingly, I saw a lot of ATF oil at the engine cover. At that time, the service manager/supervisor showed me their request for the steering assembly and told me to refill the oil every day because of his reason na baka daw kasi pumutok while waiting for the parts.

I am very disappointed because these are all MAJOR problems considering that my unit is just one year old. This is really a question of Durability and Workmanship. I've never experienced one of these problems on my Honda City IDSI for five years. It's my wife and I who painstakingly decided to choose this car/brand and I don't want to blame ourselves but instead find a better solution.

I have some question lang sana to my fellow SF owner's:

1. Did anyone experience even one of the problem mentioned above?
    2. Is durability and workmanship a question for Hyundai cars not only on SF but also other models?

We got our SF thru bank financing and more or less we already shelled out 800k except for the insurance and the remaining of 33 months for the amortization. Assuming the casa were able to replace all the parts and fixed the unit.
    3. Do you think it is still worth it to keep the unit?
    4. How about if we let somebody assume the balance & loosed half of 800k to get another car, is it plausible?

Are there any other suggestions you have in mind?

Thanks in advance.....

2. Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Try to send this complain to HARI so they will be aware that customer satisfaction is not good at the moment for Santa Fe owner's like you, Which Hyundai Service centre did you send the unit previously? Maybe try other branches.

3. Join Date
    May 2010
    *asb75- Yes, maybe that's my next step, sending a letter to HARI. However, i'm planning to bring the car to the dealer first once the problem occurs since its intermittent for them to really experience it. Just want to have a concrete proof before writing a formal complaint. The dealer is Hyundai Global City.

Btw, considering the problem on my tranny, do you think it's reasonable for me to ask for a replacement of the whole transmission?

4. Join Date
    Feb 2010
    kindly check your car manual if the transmission is still on the warranty period. then if so, it should be replaced as i remember when i read my car manual for my 2011 accent it saids that the engine, transmission & other part is covered with warranty of a specified time. my 4 tires were replaced because it had found some cracks on it. because my wife found that tire pressure was leaking within everyday.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Sounds like a lemon unit. Or you can send a letter to Willy Teeten since they own Ford Global. But you can try HARI first since it is their responsibility to ensure quality of Hyundai vehicles. Are the repairs still covered by the warranty?

6. Join Date
    Feb 2010
    if Hyundai Global City cant addressed the problem properly try other Hyundai dealers but stay away to other Hyundai dealers with bad feedbacks from our fellow tsikot members. My car is always service at Hyundai QA so far ok naman sila.

7. Join Date
    May 2010
    * asb- I think it is still under warranty for the fact that my unit is one year and a month pa lang and they try to fix it without any charge. Based on my knowledge, the warranty is 5 years.

* sachiel- Lemon unit, actually that's the sad thing here. What's makes it more difficult is that di na naman lumabas ang problema (intermittent talaga). I'm just really waiting for it to come out so that the dealer could really see it personally and they could determine whats really the problem on the tranny. At the moment, wait muna ako for the arrival of steering assy. Kumbaga, one at a time.

8. Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Your second problem re: Transmission seems not really a problem with the tranny itself. This problem has been encountered by some of the 2010 SF owners and the usual culprit was the brake light switch. Your description of the problem fits exactly the same symptoms of the brake light switch issue. Try to get it replaced by your dealer and see if the problem continues. It's just a cheap device but can cause a lot of trouble.

9. Join Date
    May 2010
    *Black Hornet - Really, there's a similarity on the brake switch problem only. Sana nga ganun lang pra minor replacement lang. Confirm ko lang, same din ba na kumakadyot ang sasakyan everytime you shift your gear into Drive or Rear?

Thanks......

10. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Probably a lemon unit. Or how you use your SF.

Yung SF namin laspag, bought Nov. 2010, 15890km as of today. No major problem so far, wala pa warranty claim. Even skipped the 10000km PMS Yung Tucson ko naman availed earlier than the SF pero lower mileage, mas alaga ko pero rinaratrat ko sa 4500RPM kapag hataw mode. Ganun din walang problem.

Pero sa nakikita ko, more of lemon unit yung SF mo. Don't waste the 5 years engine & tranny warranty, balik mo lang ng ibalik pag may problema pero syempre hassle diba. Kung pagod ka na, sell it tapos buy another Santa Fe or Tucson. Wag ka ma-trauma sa Korean cars, lahat ng kotse may kanya-kanyang flaws. Nagkataon lang talaga lemon unit sa'yo.

2. Is durability and workmanship a question for Hyundai cars not only on SF but also other models?
    Nope. 4 Hyundai na nabili namin, wala sa kanila nagbigay ng sakit ng ulo. Everytime I drive nag-eenjoy ako. Comfort + speed + efficiency.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
2010 Hyundai Sta Fe: Major Problems Encountered