New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2008
    My uncle recently bought a Grand Starex and I was surprised to see that the upper plastic trims at the tailgate/hatch were missing. I dont know if this is by design or an assembly fault. I worked for an interiors and seating design firm for 3 years and I learned along the way that in auto interior design, the metal portion of the insides of a car should be covered, as in, there should be no visible weldpoints, beads, bolt heads, screw heads - in other words the interior should be sort of aesthetically clean. could someone confirm if this? If this is by design...then the Hyundai Designers couldve been busy eating Kimchi when they did thi...LOL...if not this could be the fault of the assemblers(in Batangas? as the sticker says...) - maybe they were busy watching a Pacquiao fight while this was being assembled...LOL...or maybe its the dealers fault, maybe somebody form the inside sold the trims to somebody and sold the car to my uncle in the hopes that it would go unnoticed...

:P

Check out the photos i've taken. Notice how the trim continuity is "cut", the lower trims are in the dark grey color and the upper trims are ligth grey.

Also notice the bare bolt heads, the beads and the weld points... in plain sight...eeew! Gross!!!

I did see a pic that tells me that the trim is missing there...however...its not so clear, but it indicates that the exterior color is the same as that on the inside of the "point of interest" here it is

http://roadtest.u-car.com.tw/roadtes...6/rc-81670.jpg

2. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Is it a local unit? I know for a fact that gray market units don't have that kind of problems that you illustrated. The problem with the local distributor of Hyundai vehicles (HARI) is that they try to cut corners wherever they can just to maximize their profits, so we end up with vehicles that are severly lacking in amenities as compared with the Grand Starex offerings from the gray market importers for the same money. We are actually in the process of acquiring a Grand Starex and were gonna buy from the gray market since they offer more for the money and now can be had with the same 5 year warranty that is offered in the local units.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    check with your local dealer or your service advisor of Hyundai
    to confirm your observation and have a peace of mind. safe driving.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ronw123w124 View Post
    Is it a local unit? I know for a fact that gray market units don't have that kind of problems that you illustrated. The problem with the local distributor of Hyundai vehicles (HARI) is that they try to cut corners wherever they can just to maximize their profits, so we end up with vehicles that are severly lacking in amenities as compared with the Grand Starex offerings from the gray market importers for the same money. We are actually in the process of acquiring a Grand Starex and were gonna buy from the gray market since they offer more for the money and now can be had with the same 5 year warranty that is offered in the local units.
    Local unit as in made in pnas?i think so(i saw the tracking sticker on the body saying "BATANGAS", i also think its from a local distributor(HARI) - i'll confirm, but as far as i know my uncle bought their previous vehicle(crosswind) sa Isuzu dealership, so it could be a Hyundai dealership, as he has the trend of buying from Casa's(tama ba?) my apologies. im a noob when it comes to these sales talk thing...heheh - its really amazing though how distributors maximize profits by taking down a 1 piece trim that cost a small fraction of the whole vehicle...LOL...thanks for the input ron! Happy New Year...and all the best on your new car!

Quote Originally Posted by hotwheels View Post
    check with your local dealer or your service advisor of Hyundai
    to confirm your observation and have a peace of mind. safe driving.
    yes, will do this, i already told my cousin to check on this or check out other units at the dealership to see if its the same as his unit. If this is by design, Hyundai should be correcting this. Thanks hotwheels! Happy New Year and safe driving too!!!

5. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by the KG View Post
    Local unit as in made in pnas?i think so(i saw the tracking sticker on the body saying "BATANGAS", i also think its from a local distributor(HARI) - i'll confirm, but as far as i know my uncle bought their previous vehicle(crosswind) sa Isuzu dealership, so it could be a Hyundai dealership, as he has the trend of buying from Casa's(tama ba?) my apologies. im a noob when it comes to these sales talk thing...heheh - its really amazing though how distributors maximize profits by taking down a 1 piece trim that cost a small fraction of the whole vehicle...LOL...thanks for the input ron! Happy New Year...and all the best on your new car!
    What I meant by local unit is that the vehicle was purchased thru the franchised dealer of the authorized distributor which in this case is HARI, I think the "BATANGAS" sticker means that Batangas was the vehicle's port of entry from Korea. But I read in the Hyundai club PH forum that the missing piece of trim for the tailgate can be purchased separately thru the casa's parts department, I think it costs roughly around P3,500? Not sure though. Happy new year also to you and your folks!

6. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    I think this is BAD.

Taking out trim parts to bits and sold it separately. Wow!

Baka next time...puede custom-made. Made to order Starex Basic at 1.0M then decide the trim parts for next few hundred thousands piece by piece. Or get the full-time, full-spec at 1.7M.

7. Join Date
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ronw123w124 View Post
    What I meant by local unit is that the vehicle was purchased thru the franchised dealer of the authorized distributor which in this case is HARI, I think the "BATANGAS" sticker means that Batangas was the vehicle's port of entry from Korea. But I read in the Hyundai club PH forum that the missing piece of trim for the tailgate can be purchased separately thru the casa's parts department, I think it costs roughly around P3,500? Not sure though. Happy new year also to you and your folks!
    ^^^ *ronw123w124- i think you are correct with that sir...

==============================

*theKG - with the beige leather interior that you have shown, it seems that what your uncle has is the GOLD model (does the van have the rear wiper/washer also?)... and perhaps you can ask from what dealer it came from... - it is the top-of-the-line of the HARI based Grand Starex line that has a price (i think) of about 1.7M++. the trim IMO is unacceptable and it should be standard...
    Last edited by ianmitsulancer; January 3rd, 2009 at 03:53 PM.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Maybe it depends on the dealer and the model variant.

Here are two photos I took some months apart.

The first shows a non-CRDI Grand Starex that had no rear trim. This was taken Oct. 2007 at Hyundai Dagupan:

Next photo shows a CRDI VGT Grand Starex from the same dealer, taken in May 2008. This unit has the trim present, as shown by the red arrow:

Of course, the best way to know for certain is to visit the dealer where the unit was bought and compare the display unit similar to the variant your uncle bought.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    If the allegation is indeed true, then may i call it GREED to the extreme.

10. Join Date
    Dec 2008
    *ronw123w124

Thanks again bro for the input, WOW! it really amazes me...hahaha!!! ROFL, trim sold separately, parang GI Joe Action Figures? Mag assemble nalang kaya tayo nang Grand starex...:D

*ianmitsulancer

I am not sure if it has a rear windshield wiper and washer, but as far as i can remember i didn't notice the wipers and the washer, will try to check when i get home next week. top of the line or not, the trim should be included - it costs a really small fraction of the car. i think they got it at 1.4M pag cash(they got it on installment though), sabi kasi nang cousin ko it will cost around 1.6 after its fully paid in 4 years time.TY

*mikey177

your photo is of a different variant, the one my uncle got, has a seatbelt attachment from the headliner and had one cup holder, on both sides of the 3rd row seats. Thanks for the input though...looks like Hyundai's been cutting cost at the expense of making their interiors ugly...heheheh!!!thanks!

Gerbo

bad nga!!! its really absurd taking out a one pc trim and selling it, they should've included it in the package be it full spec or "partial" spec...thanks! I just hope Hyundai will give the trims as an aftersales add-on in a few months time to those units that have the missing trim...

ALL
    sorry there's no bare bolthead shown in the picture but theres a black bolt head at the center of the tailgate/hatch which probably attaches to the hinges. imagine your interiors having 4 colors! its a 4-tone interior...LOL...L grey, D grey, Black, Gold!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
2008 Grand Starex Interior Flaw