New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2011
    my car is civic 02 vtec. my problem is my reservoir is always full after running for atleast 3-6 hours. sometimes I encountered high temp after a long drive. I already "rekta" my radiator fan but just yesterday, I encountered high temp after driver for 6 hours. I already replaced my radiator fan motor, replaced oem thermostat. Any other suggestions? Please help

2. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Check your water pump. It may have already gone south.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    check rad cap first..

4. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    The radiator cap is most likely the culprit have this replaced.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2011
    thanks for the replies guys. I have my radiator overhauled and with a new radcap. Just this morning I brought my car to servitek sucat. I explained what happened, the mechanic checked the car and found out that my lower rad host is cold wherein my upper radhost is hot. He told me that the problem is with my newly replaced thermostat. what do u think? HE told me that my thermostat stuck up. Is this possible? can be the reason of my high temp?

6. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    yes, stuck'd close thermostat will definitely cause your engine to overheat..Why? no coolant circulation... if stuck'd but partially open, it will still overheat after a certain point and will cause your coolant to evaporate through the rad cap and then to reservoir... if stuck'd fully open (which is highly unlikely) it will not overheat, assuming no other problem in the cooling system, but it will take time before your car will achieve its running temp... HTH

7. Join Date
    Jun 2011
    peztie thanks for the explanation but I am confused with what is happening with my car. After a few minutes of running if my thermostat stuckup open then my lower rad host should be cold which is happening right now. But my question is, it must take sometime for my engine to warm up right? ang dating sana is parang wla akong thermostat since stuckup open din naman. My problem is mabilis naman magwarm up tong car. It is some kind of confusing really...

8. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    check if the coolant is circulating, if not... two possible causes.... closed thermostat or pump gone bad.. if thermostat is always open, coolant will flow as if there is nothing wrong. that way, the two hoses should be hot although the upper should be hotter. if lower hose is cold though the engine is hot, then the coolant is not circulating at all..

9. Join Date
    Jun 2011
    again thanks for the info bro. I bought a new thermostat just this morning. I will observe it. I will inform everybody what will happen so that in some way can help others.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    if you want to check your tstat, submerge it to a container with hot water, observe if the rod/valve will move (opening position)... if yes, its still ok... but if it will not despite adding boiling water.... its stucked up

as to the water pump, open your radiator and turn on the engine. observe the water at the rad opening.... if you have tstat installed and its functioning well, no water flow will be seen immediately. wait until your car's temp go up close to its normal running condition...if it is in the normal temp already, and presuming that the tstat opened, accelerate the engine and at the same time check the rad opening if the coolant is running as it should be...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
water reservoir always full