New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    1. how do I know that the VTEC in my car (civic 1996) is really the Vtec E? may nakita kasi akong civic in one of the shops n pinuntahan ko ang nakalagay talga sa cover ay VTEC E, yung sakin ay VTEC lang? Any way to know without openning and checking the cam lobes? (by a mechanic of course)

2. I just recently installed a VTEC light (it was fun to see when it lights at ~3200 to 3500 rpm) pero panu ko malalaman n gumagana talga ang VTEC n un. The light just simply means 12 V was supplied to the cables to the LED, doesn’t necessary means n nagactivate nga yung solenoid heheheh. Kasi at that rpm talgang malakas n takbo nya e.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    1. You can find out what your engine type is from the engine number stamped on the block. Once you have the number, look it up here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ine_4-cylinder

My guess is that it's a PH16, which is equivalent to a D16Y5 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_D_engine#D16Y5)

2. You should feel and hear a change in engine response and sound when the VTEC kicks in.
    Last edited by oj88; June 4th, 2009 at 06:24 PM.

3. Join Date
    May 2007
    Look at the back of the head, there should be a vtec control solenoid there, you can also look up the ecu. Also at the back of the head, there should be a vtec control solenoid there, you can also look up the ecu.

VTEC-E engine is about like 115 Horsepower. The E just stand for economy which means it saves more gas then a regular VTEC engine. If you want it to go faster you'll need a B or H series engine. If not I suggest you a supercharger kit.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    hi sir V6...if i may ask... I also own a civic 96 model which my mechanic replaced the engine into D15b. ok nmn ang takbo, but my question is when I'm driving I try to maintain the rpm to 2000. kahit mabilis sya basta nasa 2000 rpm lang. is this ok?

5. Join Date
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mact_tors View Post
    hi sir V6...if i may ask... I also own a civic 96 model which my mechanic replaced the engine into D15b. ok nmn ang takbo, but my question is when I'm driving I try to maintain the rpm to 2000. kahit mabilis sya basta nasa 2000 rpm lang. is this ok?

There is no formula to work this out it depends which gear you are in for example in my car in first gear I could do 50km at 6000rpm, but i could do the same speed in fifth gear at 1400rpm.
    Also you need to consider the weight of the car and the friction on the tires, and how much drag there is......etc...etc......

In your case you need to look at everything under the hood "very closely".
    If same engine the Idle Speed Sensor may not be installed correctly after they change your engine. Sometimes there is an adjustment needed.
    Follow the vacuum diagram (sticker on fan shroud or hood) to be sure all vacuum hoses are in good condition and installed properly.
    I know you are probably trying to save money but you may want to seriously think about taking it to an ASE certified mechanic.

6. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    sir V6....thanks a lot for the reply. i will inform my wife immediately regarding your info because i'm back here in ksa. one more thing if you don't mind. the shock absorbers of my car need to be replaced, matagtag na tumakbo. can you suggest a good shop near antipolo-cainta area? thanks again.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    local vtec single cam engines (with ph engine numbe stamp) is vtec-e even if it says vtec on the valve cover.

8. Join Date
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mact_tors View Post
    sir V6....thanks a lot for the reply. i will inform my wife immediately regarding your info because i'm back here in ksa. one more thing if you don't mind. the shock absorbers of my car need to be replaced, matagtag na tumakbo. can you suggest a good shop near antipolo-cainta area? thanks again.
    Sorry, I cant help you with that. I am 15,000 miles away too to the Phils.

When you said "Matagtag" means bumpy ride. Not exactly shock is the problem. Could it also your tire need to re-balance. The actual "shock absorber" in any vehicle is the spring. Shocks/struts just keep you from going "boingy-boingy-boingy" down the road, pot holes and bumbs.

Before going to mechanic, tell your wife to ask help with someone she knows to check if the shock are the problem. Have somebody go to the front of your car. and push down on it a couple of times. if it bounces very easily up and down without no force stopping it, that means the shocks are dead. Good luck.

9. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    hi sir V6....thanks again for the reply. na-search ko po dito sa forums na sa CRUVEN daw po ok mag pa chek ng suspension. can i have another question sir V6? like i have said, napalitan na po yung engine ng civic namin to D15B. my question is...is this engine adds to the value of my car or disadvantage po ito if i want to sell it? my car is 1996 civic vti. thanks again sir V6 and Gob bless you!

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ako naman pa tanong about VTI civic. ayaw ko na gumawa ng bagong thread.

im averaging 5-6 km/l city driving. ano kaya pwede ko gawin to improve my milleage? AT pala to. hindi naman po laspag un civic namin. model 1996 with only 47thousand kms

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
VTEC questions??? 1996 civic