New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    May 2006
    good day, I had an oppoturnioty to drive a 96 matic civic the other day, i noticed that every time I change gear, there's a movement/shock (they call it) that occurs.. is this natural? how come I don't experience in 2003 vios/city matic?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudee View Post
    good day, I had an oppoturnioty to drive a 96 matic civic the other day, i noticed that every time I change gear, there's a movement/shock (they call it) that occurs.. is this natural? how come I don't experience in 2003 vios/city matic?
    Shift shock is not normal. It generally means there is something wrong with the A/T tranny itself. It might be as simple as needing a fluid/filter change to something more serious.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    change your atf and have the wire mesh filter cleaned. adjust the transmition cable. if this don't work, check tps output. if tps output is correct, sorry but you need to have you tranny ouverhauled.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    im not pretty sure what you mean by this shock on this but i have experience something like this on one of our matic cars (02 Exalta) where the car would shake when you shift from P & N to D... as we figured there are two minor reason for this... first is high idling/minor which only needs some adjustment and cleaning second is Engine mount, (not sure if this would go for everyone but ours had really busted mount that the whole car shakes in a really scary way!) if not this then i guess your in for a tranny prob!...

5. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Malakas talaga shift shock ng 96-00 model ng Civic at City. Try changing the ATF and check the engine support, ginawa ko na din dati pero malakas pa rin shift shock kaya binenta ko at nag manual na lang ako.

6. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ejaydpogi View Post
    change your atf and have the wire mesh filter cleaned. adjust the transmition cable. if this don't work, check tps output. if tps output is correct, sorry but you need to have you tranny ouverhauled.
    i don't think you can access the internal mesh filter of that generation civic like they do in other brands. you have to pull down the tranny and take it apart to do so, which is a pain.

some shift shock is ok. shift shock should be barely noticeable. hard, jarring shocks yung parang pumipitik yung buong kotse, ay hindi normal. the casa has a way of minimizing it but yun kasi ang technology ng 90s eh... 2001-current automatics are much much better.

Shift shock sa 96 vti matic