New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Hi,

I'm sorry if there is a similar thread somewhere, but since I can't find it, I started a new one.

Regarding the CVT of Honda, I'm a bit confused about the 7-speed auto mode as compare to driving in just 'D' or 'S'. I understand that having the 7-speed mode in manual will allow you to control the gear setting of the CVT. So, what's with the 7-speed auto mode? Please enlighten me.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    7-spd mode is MANUAL MODE. No such thing as 7spd auto mode.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    those 7speeds are just small preset speeds for the City/Jazz...i really dont understand how it works coz a CVT is a gearless tranny, ironically that gearless transmission seem to have the highest gear ive ever heard pa (7speeds).

4. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    I have not come across with '7-speed auto mode'. This could be referring to the 'D' position for AT. ['S' is sports mode.]

I'll check the manual tonight.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Psylocke
    7-spd mode is MANUAL MODE. No such thing as 7spd auto mode.

On the contrary, for the Honda Jazz, the CVT works like this.

1. Normal Driving (D) uses the infinite ratios of the CVT with the intent of accelerating while keeping the RPMs down. S and L is the same thing but uses only higher ratios either to increase acceleration or to provide power at low speeds.

2. 7 speed auto mode - Press the 7 speed button only, the CVT will upshift and downshift automatically thru 7 pre-set ratios, just like any ordinary automatic tranny. Fun if you want to accelerate fast.

3. 7 speed manual mode - Press the 7 speed button and press the + - button on the steering wheels allows you to shift freely on the 7 pre-set ratios. It downshifts automatically but does not upshift automatically. You need to press the + to upshift. Very fun to play with.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Mguy
    2. 7 speed auto mode - Press the 7 speed button only, the CVT will upshift and downshift automatically thru 7 pre-set ratios, just like any ordinary automatic tranny. Fun if you want to accelerate fast.
    So, does that mean there's no difference to 'D' or 'S'?

7. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    now, i truly believe da vinci is a genius! cvts have no gears and is much simpler in concept, it only utilizes a vbelt and 2 cone-shaped shafts which changes in diameter to change power output. yung 7 speeds, just like what Mguy said are only presets to specific "gear" ratios. imagine an fm radio where you can tune into numerous frequencies, you can preset specific stations to corresponding numbers sa stereo right, same idea with the 7 speed mode of the cvt

since the cvt does not use any gears but instead uses varying diameter pulleys, it can have an infinite number of gears so better efficiency

there is...

on a cvt, d will use infinite number of ratio from its lowest to its highest ratio...kaya kung titignan mo specs ng CVT lagi nakalagay:lowest gear ratio to highest gear ratio..giving you the ratio to maintain low rpm while accelerating..

pag 7-speed auto mode, ung tranny, will shift to 7 preset gear ratio, ala 7-speed regular tranny

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Galing

10. Join Date
    Jul 2005
    kaya nga im pushin my sister to buy a jazz na eh...
    baka next month daw...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Honda CVT