New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Hi Sirs,

I have read alot of articles about HID retrofitting and I know that projector retrofits are the best way to go when converting from halogen to HID. However, for some people with budget constraints who cannot afford the 11k or 18k retrofit cost, I just want to know if anyone here in Tsikot has installed HID kits and properly aimed their headlamps without causing much glare? FYI, the HID Kit will be 4300k (stock color). I also want to know in particular if anyone has successfully done this without the glare side-effect on the 2009 Honda City.

Thank you very much in advance for your kind replies.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    question is why HID?

not halogen bulbs such as osram nightbreakers/philips xtreme or higher wattage bulbs?

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    The inexpensive HID kit I got for the 2007 Jazz glared like hell. The kit was cheap at Php2k/pr (HID low, halogen hi) but the irritation it bought to other motorists was not worth it.

Let's see if others have had better results.

After that, I just went back to halogens.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

4. Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by renzo_d10 View Post
    question is why HID?

not halogen bulbs such as osram nightbreakers/philips xtreme or higher wattage bulbs?
    Thanks for your input, sir renzo.

The reason i chose HID is because HIDs emit lower heat and use lower watts compared to higher wattage halogen bulbs which, as I read in some of the threads here, may cause premature deterioration of the headlamp housing.

5. Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by OTEP View Post
    The inexpensive HID kit I got for the 2007 Jazz glared like hell. The kit was cheap at Php2k/pr (HID low, halogen hi) but the irritation it bought to other motorists was not worth it.

Let's see if others have had better results.

After that, I just went back to halogens.
    Thanks for the input doc!

Yes I agree that the HID PNP setup, most of the time produces so much glare. I would not want to cause glare to motorists as well. I hope there are brothers out there who were 'successful' in using PNP HID setup. If so, we'd have 'cheaper' alternative to projector retrofit.

Hands down, the retrofit is really the way to go when going HID... but then when budget is constrained, it's nice to know that there would be an alternative.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Refurbishing a cloudy/yellowed headlamp housing is just around Php300-500 and just takes 15-30mins. At least that's what they charged me for. You probably won't even need to do it annually.

And I put in a voltmeter on the Jazz to monitor the state of the electrical system.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by airolynx View Post
    Hi Sirs,

I have read alot of articles about HID retrofitting and I know that projector retrofits are the best way to go when converting from halogen to HID. However, for some people with budget constraints who cannot afford the 11k or 18k retrofit cost, I just want to know if anyone here in Tsikot has installed HID kits and properly aimed their headlamps without causing much glare? FYI, the HID Kit will be 4300k (stock color). I also want to know in particular if anyone has successfully done this without the glare side-effect on the 2009 Honda City.

Thank you very much in advance for your kind replies.
    looks like nobody answered your questions; reason being you are asking the question in the wrong site. this is not a site for enthusiasts since there's not much enthusiastic people around. try going to the right site: The Honda City Connection Club (HC³) Official Website

i would like to put insight to your question, but it will be a disservice for you since i don't own a honda city. i will leave the people who knows and worked on their honda city to give advise/inputs. i don't have the habit of answering questions on things i have no knowledge of or have not worked on.

for preparation, you will need to have additional stocks of push clips. these clips can get broken if you are not careful in removing them. you will need to remove the bumper in order for you to remove your headlight assembly. only then you can remove the hl assembly altogether for you to work on it. it will be a pain at first, but trust me, you'll be able to do it. do the research and i am sure you will be able to do it correctly, including how to properly install the bulb. there's no shortcut to it, though.

lastly, you are paying too much for the retrofit. if you don't have the money, don't force it. but if you are a willing to do the work yourself, then DIY. there's much satisfaction after you complete it yourself -- that's from my personal experience. I had a chance to visit the philippines a couple of weeks ago, and in banawe, you can get a mini projector lamps from either P3k or P6k. it already has a pair of shrouds for your projector hl to look good. if you're going to DIY, make sure you have a spare HL unit at hand so you can get a practice before the actual disassembly of the housing. BTW, you will have to bake the housing so that the sealant will melt so you can pry out the housing. there will be more items to do and i will let you do all the research and planning since it's your car to work on.

there's much work involved in your project, but i guarantee you, you will have the satisfaction that a few can only claim once you finish it.

good luck to you, and happy driving.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by OTEP View Post
    Refurbishing a cloudy/yellowed headlamp housing is just around Php300-500 and just takes 15-30mins. At least that's what they charged me for. You probably won't even need to do it annually.

And I put in a voltmeter on the Jazz to monitor the state of the electrical system.
    oxydation is inevitable. you will have to maintain it regularly especially if you already sanded/buffed the housing. there are products out there in the market. just google it.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Di naman maganda yung projectors sa Banawe. Most of the time, if not every time, halos same output lang siya nung halogen projectors. Kadalasan, ang pangit pa ng alignment and nung sealing. Kumbaga, baboy ang gawa.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by renzo_d10 View Post
    Di naman maganda yung projectors sa Banawe. Most of the time, if not every time, halos same output lang siya nung halogen projectors. Kadalasan, ang pangit pa ng alignment and nung sealing. Kumbaga, baboy ang gawa.
    dude, you keep on missing the point. give the guy suggestions and not your opinion. and if you really want to voice your opinion, give him other options so he can weigh things out.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Plug and Play HID Kit (not projector type) for 2009 Honda City