New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    I am having hard time in choosing out of the 3 cars, see my feedback below.

Which is best buy for daily use car out of the 3 choices and why?

1. 1997 BMW 316i m/t 54T km -Price:300T

2. 2002 Honda City Type Z 1.5 Vtec Vti 45T km -Price: 280T

3. 1995 Honda Civic 1.6L SOHC VTEC, FRONT BIG DISCBRAKE, REAR DISCBRAKE, SUNROOF, BROWN GLASS OVER-ALL, WHITEFACE GAUGE CLUSTER
    - Price: 220T

2. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    go for the BMW , luma na yang mga civic na yan d na yan tatagal sayo masasayang lang 200+ k mo. Isa pa mahal din ang parts ng Honda no comapared to Toyota or Mitsu. I suggest the BMW but please check and I mean it check the engine. Matibay naman ang drivetrain at chassis ng BMW yung engine lang tlaga. Madugo kasi yan paayusin hahaha

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    I wouldn't go for the 1995 Civic. Too many mods, too big a possibility of rust due to the cutting.

The City, suspension is simple, but the primary problem is the possibility of rust. If there's none and the body looks straight, go for it. It's the most practical car ever made. A friend says the only reason he doesn't want to get a new Jazz or City is because his old City is still doing great.

Pero kung AT, wag na...

The BMW: great car to have. Nice interior quality compared to Japanese cars of the time, but make sure you know what you're getting into... find out where you're going to have it serviced and how much replacement parts cost.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post

The BMW: great car to have. Nice interior quality compared to Japanese cars of the time, but make sure you know what you're getting into... find out where you're going to have it serviced and how much replacement parts cost.

not really actually. Although its driver oriented dash still looks good
    common complaints one will encounter about the E36 is the interior. be prepared for things such as sagging roof liner, sagging glove box, partly detached door sidings. The interior doesn't seem to age gracefully but which can be readily fixed by upholstery shops such as seatmate.

As for the exteriror the door handle rubber gaskets and windshield mouldings literally crumble after 10 years unlike those in japanese cars. although overall the BMW would still ride like a charm compared to the other choices posted.

This one i'm using has been with us since 1996 and was handed down to me for my daily drive. Don't be fooled by the 102hp rating on paper. It has decent torque at 150nm* 3900rpm. The manual tranny is also a plus as it allows you to quite match a 320i with automatic tranny and still do 9km/L city driving fuel consumption.

The engine, suspension and insulation is where the BMW ages gracefully. for a car more than 10 years old it still handles great! i can punch the gas pedal on curved roads and its like on rails.

As for maintenance mine was casa maintained but when i got it i tried Basics libis for parts and autovec for service and the maintenance costs so far are reasonable.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    i think, the City's suspension is actually good. Ride at the back is better IMO than strut rear suspension ride of AE101/111 Corollas. It rides on a rear Trapezoidal link rear suspension (almost same to my late beloved Mazda 626), soaks up bumps nicely and handles just short of amazing. The front has that 'hollow' feel present in most strut front suspension equipped cars. It actually resembles how a Corolla's front suspension feels like.

The City VTi must be a very quick car. I can spank some 1.6L cars using a 1.3 LXi matic Honda City. It already feels quick and nimble car. What more is a City 1.5L (plus 18hp more) with an inch better rims and 4 wheel disc variant?

I'd get this over the BMW, the fact that this could give me better mileage, runs faster and could be maintained cheaply are enough reason to settle for this humbler car.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    If you can afford PhP10-15,000 casa maintenance, go bmw. Unless you're willing to have it serviced sa non-accredited service center.

If it were up to me, Id go for the newest car of the 3 which is the City. Di pa gaanong laspag. I actually like this more than the current generation City. If you're not really after porma, this is a good daily driver. Tipid ka pa sa gas.

7. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Yup, servicing the BMW will kill you.

Nangarap din akong bumili ng Bimmer, kahit yung E36 lang. Pero when I inquired about the inspection cost sa Casa, Inspection I pa lang eh 15k na raw (hindi pa kasama yung parts!), eh bigla akong nagising at nahimasmasan.

From your current list, I'd go for the City.

But why not expand your shortlist? Swak naman sa budget mo yung 2000 Sentra Exalta or 2000 Lancer
    Last edited by Galactus; July 23rd, 2007 at 10:11 AM.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    If it's the driving experience and you know what you're doing, BMW.

If it's just for a (slightly) trouble-free daily commuter, Honda City.

Dump the Civic.

Mind you the City will not ride as well as the BMW. Resale value of BMW might also be higher than the City, hence the higher asking price compared to the much newer City. This will also be good for you when you finally sell it in favor of an even newer car. Good luck.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    sows andali lang DIY sa e36 bimmer...

10. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    But not all people are DIYers... ;) hence the disclaimer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Which one to buy Honda or BMW?