New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2003
    nakalasan ako ng tensioner bearing when I was cruising EDSA. Nawala yung aircon ko and power steering. Important to dre!

2. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Maghanap ka ng bagong mekaniko. Siraniko yung nakuha mo bro.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Bochekokik View Post
    Makitanong na rin.
    Di ba yung tensioner bearing eh napapalitan din ito?
    Nung nagpalit ako nung timing belt ko several months ago, kasama ito sa listahan kasi nga may tama na yung orig na nakalagay. T-belt, tensioner, oilseals. Puedeng t-belt lang daw papalitan pero pag nagloko yung tensioner, another labor uli and risky na bago t-belt pero luma tensioner.
    Kung walang tensioner, hindi ba maluwag yung belt?
    From the word itself "tensioner" to produce tension. Yup, it's loose. Just like what sir v6dreamer said "Parang sinabi na, okey lang ang may sinturon kahit walang sabitan sa butas."

I've posted a thread here "time belt vs time chain", and there's a part there that the conversation went to changing of timing belt. As per my mechanic, he told me that if I change my timing belt, I should also change the tensioner bearing. Due to the goodness of sir mbeige, he even told me that as a rule of thumb, even the cam seal should be replaced as well to save money in case those things wear out after changing your timing belt. Just imagine if you only replaced your timing belt and after a week you'll bring it back to have the tensioner bearing or those seals replaced. It's a total waste of time and money. So just have those replaced all at the same time.

4. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ownertype View Post
    nakalasan ako ng tensioner bearing when I was cruising EDSA. Nawala yung aircon ko and power steering.
    Same as to what happened to my neighbor and to sir 1D4LV, it got snapped while they were on the road. If you don't mind me asking and to sir sinister_fadz, 2, 3 days or a week prior to your timing belt got snapped, did you feel/hear any odd vibrations/sound in your vehicle. I asked this to sir 1D4LV and he told me that he didn't feel anything. The car just suddenly lost power and that's it.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rna800 View Post
    From the word itself "tensioner" to produce tension. Yup, it's loose. Just like what sir v6dreamer said "Parang sinabi na, okey lang ang may sinturon kahit walang sabitan sa butas."

I've posted a thread here "time belt vs time chain", and there's a part there that the conversation went to changing of timing belt. As per my mechanic, he told me that if I change my timing belt, I should also change the tensioner bearing. Due to the goodness of sir mbeige, he even told me that as a rule of thumb, even the cam seal should be replaced as well to save money in case those things wear out after changing your timing belt. Just imagine if you only replaced your timing belt and after a week you'll bring it back to have the tensioner bearing or those seals replaced. It's a total waste of time and money. So just have those replaced all at the same time.
    In fairness, I was not the first to mention to replace the cam seal. I just reiterated the importance of hitting two birds with one stone. Somebody else mentioned the cam seal (among others) first.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Every part of an engine was seriously thought out by the designers of these engines. Even the smallest screw, nut and bolt was placed where it is for a reason. The ENGINEERS who designed, made and created your engine has spent more time studying, testing and re-studying and re-testing that engine before finally saying it is working fine.
    All belts, wether timing, fan, alternator or whatever, in your engine has a Tightness tolerance ot "TENSION". It was designed that way so that even with the engine running at max RPM the belts will not slip on the pulley. This is the work of the TENSIONER. To keep the belt from slipping even at high RPM.
    I'll give your new belt 1 week, ibabalik mo ulit yan sa talyer.

7. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    That has to be the dumbest mechanic around and if you keep following his advice you'll be needing a new engine.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Addition to my last. Sa gitara, pag nagpalit ka ng isang string, panget ang tunog. Kailangan lahat ng strings palitan para pantay ang tunog. Ganun din sa kotse. There are areas where a whole kit is required and there are parts na kahit magisang palitan, okey lang. In the case of a timing belt, always remember na this is part of a machine that synchronizes your car's performance. Saan ba nakakabit yan? di ba sa crankshaft at cam shaft. waht does it do? it turns the camshaft in unison with the crankshaft. di ba may setting ang camshaft sa crankshaft? This is to make sure that the valves open and close according to the position ng piston. Kung nasa firing position dapat naka close and valves. Trabaho ito ng camshaft that is driven by the crank. kung may slippage ang timing belt mo, mawawala sa setting ang cam and eventually lead to misfires and damage to your engine. So, naglagay ng TENSIONER to prevent slippage. Maliit na pirasong part lang ng makina yan pero it can do a lot of damage.
    Also, remember this. HONDA invested heavily on the training of their ENGINEERS and DESIGNERS to come up with your engine. These people studied not only Automotive but also are experts are MECHANICAL ENGINEERING, PHYSICS and the lot and have spent more time studying than actually working. YOUR MECHANIC MUST HAVE NOT EVEN GRADUATED GRADE SCHOOL o di kaya tapos siya ng 6 mos automotive sa isang tech school sa QUIAPO.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    ok, tnx guyz.. ipapgawa ko nlang ulit.. bili nlang ako ng new tensioner.. nong knabit kc yung timing belt, nag.slip xa after test drive, kaya nong binaklas nla ulit, naka fixed nlang tung setting ng tensioner at belt kc baka daw madulas or tumalon ulit yung t.belt.. anywys, magkano ang tensioner? der was no odd vibrations, minsan pupalya yung makina few days before mag.snap yung belt..

10. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister_fadz View Post
    ok, tnx guyz.. ipapgawa ko nlang ulit.. bili nlang ako ng new tensioner.. nong knabit kc yung timing belt, nag.slip xa after test drive, kaya nong binaklas nla ulit, naka fixed nlang tung setting ng tensioner at belt kc baka daw madulas or tumalon ulit yung t.belt.. anywys, magkano ang tensioner? der was no odd vibrations, minsan pupalya yung makina few days before mag.snap yung belt..
    Walang anuman sir. Call mo HONDA SERVICE CENTER and ask for the price. Give them the model of your car. You can also scout around Banawe in QC.

One thing lang sir. What did you mean by "naka fixed na lang tung setting ng tensioner". Is it as in Ipinermanente ng mechanic mo yung setting? As in di naglalaro. If he did, Kaya pala nagputol yung t.belt. Sorry sir kung ganito ang ginawa niya but I have to say, BOPOL TALAGA.
    My advise, sir, dalhin mo na sa casa car mo. Mahal lang ang singil pero maayos ang gawa (if you trust them).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
ok lang ba na walang tensioner ang timing belt?