New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    May 2007
    I have an accord 96 that has 100,000kms on it. had an oil change at Shell recently.

A few days after this oil change, I had an overheat and after this overheat, the oil pressure warning light started acting eratically.

First, after a cold start, the light does not turn on but after the engine warms up, the light flashes. The problem is, while revving the engine, the light goes off and immediately goes on again when the engine is idle.

I brought it to my trusted mechanic and tried to replace the oil sending unit and they found out that the unit had been modified from the origianl honda sending unit to accomodate a universal sending unit. (Thats what they said).

My mechanic was not able to fix it after replacing the oild sending unit and I brought it to a reputable car service shop. They informed me that there had been oil leaking at the gaskets so they had to replace this and other parts of the suspension. To address my original problem, they informed me that they would change to an original sending unit, change thermostat valve and thermostat switch.

After a few days they told me that the tread of the oil sending unit was already loose and the orginal problem had not been solved. The had to have the tread re-treaded by a machine shop.

After this, the problem was still the same (light goes off with revving). They recommended a general overhaul for the reason that the engine had so much sludge and they blamed the problem on the engine flush that was included during the change oil from Shell.

Now, i really dont know what to do next. General overhaul is too expensive for my budget.. any tips?

Thanks very much!

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    One flush, done properly, shouldn't cause sludging. It could be possible that whatever gummy crud was holding your old engine together got washed out with the flush (happened to me before, too).

It's hard to say, without knowing the details of the overheat, if it was the oil change or the overheat which caused the damage.

Does it feel sluggish or lacking in power compared to before?

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

Oil Warning Problem Accord 96