New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Hi Guys,

I just wanna get some advice/tips for my first car. Thing is, I have very limited funds and also, I cannot get a manual car. I am not THAT picky with the appearance. I'm more of a COMFORT over LOOKS type of guy. And also not a fan of SPEED so no need for powerful engines or what not.

These are some of the cars I've been eyeing for quite some time now, and if possible, can you guys shed some light on the issues I've read about them:

Honda Civic Esi (EG)- 93/94/95 A/T = I've read somewhere, Hindi raw maganda ang A/T version nito? Dahil daw bago pa lang ang A/T sa Civic that time? I dunno. And also, I think they're saying na bubbles sa roof ang sakit ng kotse na to?
    If there's anything I need to know, or anything na makakapagsabi na okay saken ang ESI as my first car please let me know

Honda Civic (EK) 96/97/98/99/2000 ( Vti, Lxi) A/T = Honestly wala ako makitang negative comments sa model na ito, kahet mapa LXI or VTI variant. This car I believe is one of the most beloved models in our country, since it's easier to mod, is reliable, cheap and I dunno for some reason we find it very maporma. But yeah, if I need to know something before I purchase this car please let me know

Honda City 97 and also Type Z - 1999/2000/2001/2002/2003 - Again, wala ako makita issue.

Honda Accord 94 and above - I know this one is really something to talk about. Although I did say I'm not picky with looks, I find the accord model very ***xxy and elegant compared to the lower-end models. I'm also aware of this car being a gas guzzler, and expensive parts??? To make it worse, If ever I'll buy an accord, it's automatic. So mas malakas lalo sa gas? But please to all the accord owners there, can you tell me something nice about this car that will give an advantage over the other honda sedans? Thanks!

PS
    I forgot to mention, whatever car I'll end up buying, it will only be used a couple of hours on the weekdays and maybe a short city drive on the weekends. I have zero plans on driving away the metro anytime soon as I have zero knowledge on the itsy bitsy pieces of a vehicle. In short d ako marunong sa makina at kahet magpalit ng gulong LOL pero pag aaralan ko syempre.

So ibig kong sabihin, from point A to B lang ang car na ito. So tingin nyo ba, kahit malakas sa gas na kotse okay lang dahil di naman sya ilalayo at hindi naman madalas gagamitin?

Thanks in advance everyone! HAPPY NEW YEAR!

2. Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Since nabanggit mo na limited funds... Tanggaln mo na sa options mo ang Accord. Keep in mind na mas malakas kumain ng gas ang traffic. Kahit short trip pero kung puro traffic dadaanan mo magaling na yang Accord maka abot ng 6 km per liter

3. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Why does it have to be a Honda?

Civics and Cities are overpriced. While they're solid, reliable cars, there are cheaper options out there that are just as good.

The Accord is pretty cheap though. But of course, it's a gas guzzler and major parts are expensive.

For the price of a 15 year old Civic, you can get a newer car like an Exalta.

Posted via Tsikot Mobile App

4. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    what's your budget, po? 's no use recommending anything if it's way off your budget..
    ... can't get a manual car? why naman? parang sinabi mong bawal kumuha ng murang kotse..

5. Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    Why does it have to be a Honda?

Civics and Cities are overpriced. While they're solid, reliable cars, there are cheaper options out there that are just as good.

The Accord is pretty cheap though. But of course, it's a gas guzzler and major parts are expensive.

For the price of a 15 year old Civic, you can get a newer car like an Exalta.

Posted via Tsikot Mobile App

My budget is 150-200k . But it can be stretched a little bit pa kung kailangan. The reason why I have a very low budget is because this car will be my pang "harabas" for 2014, come December, I'll be getting a brand new car. I recently got an approval from one of the major banks, but decided to delay it until next christmas season.

Anyway, umm to tell you the truth it doesn't have to be Honda. I'm also open to other brands like Nissan, Mits, Toyota and Suzuki. ( that is in order accdg to my preference ) Just posted a thread asking for Honda owners because I'm in the honda section, pero nag post din ako sa ibang brands asking the same questions about different cars

Now that you've mentioned, Exalta is actually my top prospect because personally I've had some great experience with Nissan sentras before (95 super saloon is our car when I was growing up). The Exalta has a nice interior, and for sure like other Nissan cars has outstanding AC. Correct me if I'm wrong but I always thought Nissan cars has a very nice ride, is it because they have good schock-absorbers? Not sure if this is even allowed in Honda section but if you may, educate me with the pros and cons of a Nissan Exalta

6. Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    what's your budget, po? 's no use recommending anything if it's way off your budget..
    ... can't get a manual car? why naman? parang sinabi mong bawal kumuha ng murang kotse..
    150-200k po, If I can get a lower priced car, I don't really mind. Kase po ggamitin ko lang this whole year, and also I'm not concerned with resale value because I always value my things and don't like selling any of them so for keeps na kung ano man mabili ko

About po sa tranny. Dahil po lahat ng kotse ng pamilya ko automatic, kahit truck na pangdeliver namin automatic
    So nakakahiya mang sabihin hindi ako natuto mag manual nung nagddrive na ako. Well d naman sa d marunong, napapatakbo ko sya at hindi naman makakdisgrasya kung ako nagddrive, it's just that hindi ako kumportable pag manual, lalo na sa traffic. Napatunayan ko to nung bumili kame ng M/T na GSR last July 2013. Wala, it's really not for me, so decided to sell it nalang. And lastly, kailangan ko automatic para magamit ng mom ko at gf ko pag kailangan. THANKS

7. Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jodski View Post
    Since nabanggit mo na limited funds... Tanggaln mo na sa options mo ang Accord. Keep in mind na mas malakas kumain ng gas ang traffic. Kahit short trip pero kung puro traffic dadaanan mo magaling na yang Accord maka abot ng 6 km per liter
    Thanks for your input. Um nakalimutan ko pala i-explain. Yes I have a limited budget para sa pagbili ng car. Pero I don't mind spending a couple of pesos more sa gas kung mas okay naman yung sasakyan. Pero syempre kung mas makakatipid sa gas much better.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Guys i'm looking for Honda Civic 98-99. Gusto ko gray or dark gray. Baka meron kau kakilala. Limited lng budget ko.hehe.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by superken View Post
    Guys i'm looking for Honda Civic 98-99. Gusto ko gray or dark gray. Baka meron kau kakilala. Limited lng budget ko.hehe.
    Actually I have 98 civic silver gray lxi M/T , pero plan to have it repainted next week and will not sell till next year pa...enjoyin ko muna yun new fresh paint Good luck on your hunt.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigra View Post
    But please to all the accord owners there, can you tell me something nice about this car that will give an advantage over the other honda sedans? Thanks!
    My daily drive is a 6th gen (98-02) Accord 2.3L VTi-L AT. Aside from the low FC (6 km/L average city driving), there is nothing to dislike about the car. It is way better than a City or Civic (Honda will not price it higher if it perfoms less than its smaller sedans much like the Mazda6 against the Mazda3). You get a more comfortable ride, very responsive steering and brakes, solid suspension, fast and zippy on the road, plus ample torque on low rpm compared to the smaller Honda sedans. FC was a bit better (7 km/L) on stock 15" wheels but it dropped when I put on bigger, wider 17" wheels. The wider tires did improve traction and grip. 6th gen Accords come in VTi (2.0L) and VTi-L (2.3L) models. Both models come in AT and MT tranny but 2.3L MT is quite uncommon. The earlier 5th gen Accords (94-97) don't have a VTEC engine but the later ones (96-97) already had the 2.2L VTEC on them.

Another pain point on the Accord (and all midsize cars) is the higher LTO registration cost (much worse for midsize cars dated 1997-2000). In terms of common parts, they can easily be sourced out from your usual Honda-friendly auto parts supplier. Fluids are the same as with any Honda car, except it uses more engine oil due to its bigger engine. Unless the car has a broken tranny or engine, older Accords are easy to maintain as they are more mechanical like the Civic EK (96-00). The newer (7th gen onwards) Accords use more electronics but still retain the performance and feel expected of it.

If going with an Exalta, try to get the youngest model you can find. The older B14 Exalta (99-00) shares parts with all B14 Sentras (95-00) while the newer N16 Exalta Grandeur (2001-2003) shares parts with the newer Sentra (GX, GSX, GS). My old N16 Exalta Grandeur AT averages about 8 km/L on city driving conditions but requires 95RON fuel. It is a comfortable car though, much like a smaller Cefiro.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast