The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 1970
    DECEMBER 27, 2004

ASIAN BUSINESS

Honda's First U.S. Bruiser
    With the Ridgeline, it jumps into a crowded -- and lucrative -- market

It boasts a chiseled physique meant to appear carved from a single block of metal. It has four-wheel-drive, a hardy V-6 engine, a 1.5 meter-long open cargo bed in back, and a decidedly outdoorsy name -- the Ridgeline. The manufacturer? Not Ford (F ), Chevrolet (GM ), or Dodge. Try Honda Motor Co. (HMC ).

Honda? For years the Japanese company has prospered by churning out solid and reliable compacts, sedans, minivans, and small sport-utility vehicles. Truth to tell, the Honda lineup was a trifle boring, and in the U.S. -- the company's biggest market -- pickups weren't part of the mix. The top Japanese management thought pickups didn't fit the brand's image.

Today, though, Honda is looking to the spunky Ridgeline to help revive its flagging fortunes in North America. Sales will begin in the spring after a splashy kickoff with a pair of 30-second spots during the Super Bowl on Feb. 6. Critics snicker that the Ridgeline lacks a V-8 engine, can't tow big trailers, and shares some of its underpinnings with a minivan. Then there's the matter of the four-door cabin, roomy enough to haul the whole family

But the bold new addition to Honda's lineup is key to its bid to retain once-loyal drivers fleeing the brand for beefier vehicles. Although Honda hasn't announced pricing, it will compete with the Toyota Tacoma, Ford Explorer Sport Trac, and Nissan Frontier, all of which cost under $30,000. "Honda customers are typically buyers of compacts and minivans, but now they're clamoring for pickups," says Takeo Fukui, who stepped in as Honda's president 18 months ago. "The Ridgeline helps us meet that need."

3.5-Liter, High-Output VTEC® V-6 Engine
    • Half-Ton Payload Capacity
    • Four-Wheel Independent Suspension
    • VTM-4® 4-Wheel Drive System
    • Fully-Integrated Closed-Box Frame with Unibody Construction

2. Join Date
    May 2004
    Add ko lang some of the reviews and introduction for this new Honda Pick-up I've read on the net. I'm also attaching pictures after the links.

Reviews/Introduction:
    1. About.com :
    http://trucks.about.com/od/2006truck..._ridgeline.htm

2. NewCarTestDrive.com
    http://www.nctd.com/sneakpreview.cfm...ne&ReviewID=66

3. Motorcities.com:
    http://www.motorcities.com/contents/04K9A572601882.html

Pictures: (Use IE to view Pix. For some reason, pictures can't be seen when using Firefox. Sorry po)

Last edited by cyberdoc95; December 18th, 2004 at 05:01 AM.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    parang hindi pwede sa hakutan ito nakakatakot loadan hehe! Pero ganda ng specs niya

4. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    wow.... nice truck from honda....

5. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    nice truck!

6. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    most futuristic pickup nakita ko, sana launch yan dto

7. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    parang yung sports truck concept ng mitsubishi shown earlier this year...

pero kakaiba siya... parang sporty na armored and dating... especially yung silver...
    Last edited by RafRaf; December 19th, 2004 at 04:30 PM.

8. Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Pardon my expression but, that is one ugly truck. Looks like it got its looks from Honda's own 'Element'.

No offense, but if I ever get to be given one, I'd sell it and buy a fully loaded Revo, and a Honda XR 400r, and use the rest of the money towards a home renovation.
    Last edited by ebbfolls; December 20th, 2004 at 03:46 AM.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    parang hybrid ng explorer and vigo. :D pero all in all. ok na ok!

10. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ebbfolls
    Pardon my expression but, that is one ugly truck. Looks like it got its looks from Honda's own 'Element'.

No offense, but if I ever get to be given one, I'd sell it and buy a fully loaded Revo, and a Honda XR 400r, and use the rest of the money towards a home renovation.
    hmmm... it does ressemble the element... from the front... which to me isn't that bad at all IMHO...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
[Merged:] HONDA RIDGELINE: Honda's 1st Pickup Truck