New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Ok, so all the CRVs I saw were all automatic trannies 98 to 99. Pls help me decide which one is a safer bet to buy..ill go in the order of CRVs I liked the most starting with:

CRV 1: very clean and smooth body, mint condition in and out.
    Problem: Started the engine n heard a belt squeal a little. Then there was rpm droppage when revving. I reversed it and moved forward and there was noticeable idle drop to a point that the engine sounded like it was choking a bit before the rpm became normal. At idle it would sometimes drop again.
    Question: is this an easy fix? Because I want this crv.

CRV 2: nice as well. Owner used it on a daily basis to manila n cavite.
    Problem: engine seemed louder than the others and steering wheel vibrates and shakes in low gears and in park.

CRV 3: really nice as well in n out. Smooth engine!
    Problem: air conditioning isn't blowing cold air at all. It's just a fan. How much would I expect to fix it? Owner says it may need cleaning or freon. This tells me there's a leak at least. Or it may be the evaporator.

Thanks guya, help me decide between the lesser evils.

2. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    CRV 1 seems like maintenance was neglected. I would replace all the belts including timing belt if they show signs of wear or cracking, have the valve tappets adjusted if applicable sa CASA and have the intake/IACV cleaned. Could also be a crankshaft pulley that is failing.

CRV 2 Check and replace faulty engine mounts.

CRV 3, cost of repairing the aircon would be around 7-15k if evaporator or compressor need to be replaced, this already includes replacing o-rings, adding oil freon, cleaning etc.

If they all have similar mileage and other items such as tires or brake pads and body work are in the same condition I would choose CRV 3.

Then again, I've had the problems of all 3 CRV's on my 20 year old accord and have all those items fixed as well.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    I'd choose CRV2

Engine mounts and valve adjustment lang ang gagawin, as of the moment.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Awesome thanks. Much appreciated. Any ideas on the cost of the engine mounts n labor?

5. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    errr... what are the odometer readings?
    overall, i'd choose 2 or 3, depending on the odo..
    between 2 and 3, i prefer 3. mukhang aircon lang ang problem..

and oh... the timing belt. it costs a pretty penny, too..

6. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Crv 1 has 110k kms

Crv2 has 160+k kms

Crv 3 owner just texted me just right now that it was just sold this afternoon.

7. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    I find it hard to believe na in "r" position, it's moving forward. So no reverse gear?

Harder sound of the engine means a lot of things. Pwede katok makina, tappet lang, or something else.

From the two, I would not choose any. Find something else. Kakaiba yung ng reverse na hindi gumagana.

I'll find a crv that mechanically sound kahit hindi makinis.

Remember, kahit sobrang kinis ng oto pwede ka itirik kung sablay makina and/or tranny.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2013
    ^archie I think rpm yung nag move forward in R, not the car.

Posted via Tsikot Mobile App

9. Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Pwede mangyari

Tsikot Mobile App

10. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    If the car is more than 10 years old na, hindi nadin nag mamatter ang odometer reading,
    mas importante na ang condition.

id rather pick a car with a 160k reading na napalitan na mga parts na nag wear and tear na,
    kesa sa parehas na kotse na may 100k reading na wala pa napapalitan ni isa.