New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    This thought just occurred to me...

With a manual transmission, I hear it's not much of a concern...

But, how about with an automatic?

Is there a difference in the damage, if you are hit from behind, at front (head on) or by the sides?

How will one know if his automatic transmission is broken by the impact?

A total wreck should be obvious. But, how about those subtle "nudges" from behind that result only in dent/s not so noticeable to the naked and untrained eye?

Will appreciate your responses.

Thanks po, in advance.

PS: I tried to look for a thread on this, but found none. Sorry if i missed it. Feel free to move my post to the proper thread, if there is any.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by jupe View Post
    This thought just occurred to me...

With a manual transmission, I hear it's not much of a concern...

But, how about with an automatic?

Is there a difference in the damage, if you are hit from behind, at front (head on) or by the sides?

How will one know if his automatic transmission is broken by the impact?

A total wreck should be obvious. But, how about those subtle "nudges" from behind that result only in dent/s not so noticeable to the naked and untrained eye?

Will appreciate your responses.

Thanks po, in advance.

PS: I tried to look for a thread on this, but found none. Sorry if i missed it. Feel free to move my post to the proper thread, if there is any.

The 2013 Jazz tranny is a conventional automatic transmission. So that would last you practically the life of the car, as long as you don't abuse the car too much (like take to racing, drop starts, towing heavy loads long distance, etc). About par with any other brand. The problematic tranny from Honda was it's CVT used in the 1st gen Jazz and 2nd gen City.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Agree with GH's post. With modern conventional AT, just follow the manufacturer's recommended AT fluid change interval, use the proper fluid and don't abuse the transmission, it should last the life of your car.
    Last edited by userfriendly; October 7th, 2013 at 10:34 AM.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Thanks, ghosthunter and userfriendly, for the responses.

Without collision, I am confident that the A/T will last the lifetime of the car (with proper car maintenance, of course).

But, how about those accidental bumps and hits? Is there a difference between being rear-ended and being hit head on? Is there a difference being hit while on Drive mode than on Sequential Shift mode?

Thanks again po.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    The powertrain by design is isolated from the body through the hardened sub-frame, engine supports and axle joints, among others. The front suspension is connected to the sub-frame so the powertrain is not part of the load-bearing structure. In case of an accident, the parts I mentioned will typically take the brunt of the force... sub-frame goes out of alignment, axle breaks or detaches itself and engine mounts collapses, etc. before any damage reaches the powertrain itself. In fact, barring a direct hit to the powertrain, a car could be in a total wreck with the engine and transmission still intact and virtually undamaged.

If any, the A/T would likely die first out of neglect, rather than from an accident.
    Last edited by oj88; October 7th, 2013 at 11:35 AM.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    ganyan nagyari sa akin ng mabanga ung RAV4 sa likod ng jeep

Naka D ung shifter, tapos ako naman nakatapak sa brakes kasi ung jeep sa harap nag baba ng pasahero.

Tapos meron jeep na bumanga sa likod ko.

Inisip ko din kung meron bang damage ung A/T ko, pero since naka tapak ako sa brake siguro naman ay wala. Nung magpalit ako ng ATF wala naman nakuhang pira-pirasong metals siguro good pa transmission ko.

Pero maganda nga kung maliwanagan kung while in traffic, naka D ka (or slow moving in D) tapos mabanga ka, kung magkaroon ba ng damage sa transmission, para maisama sa claim sa insurance.

How fragile is the 2013 Jazz's automatic transmission?