New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2009
    Hi Guys,

I'm newbie here and I need advice regarding the 2nd hand car I bought a month ago. I bought a Honda SiR 00 to a guy who guaranteed me that the car is in good running condition except that the radiator needs to be replaced dahil nagbabawas na ng tubig and tires are thin nadin. That was the only two probs that the owner advised me to replaced and wala na ako magiging problem sa car. So what I did first was to buy four new tires for the SiR so I can travel the car to Baguio and a week after, the radiator was replaced too. I thought wala ng magiging problem sa car but when I use it, I notice na may maingay sa engine kapag tinatapakan yung accelerator. I consulted my brother about this and he advised me to bring the car sa Honda Service Center for tune up.

We we're shocked when the Honda mechanics told us that the car needs general overhaul and I asked for a quote on how much I need to spend to get the car fixed. They handed me a coupon bond, written there are the parts that need to be replaced and the price. The total price was P127,512.00 . So hindi na tune up yung auto ko but instead pinalitan lang ng sparkplug.

I'm planning to get a 2nd opinion from other mechanics so I'd know the real condition of the car and the problem sa car. I just have few questions in mind..

1. Are the honda mechanics really reliable when they say the condition of the car?

2. Where can I go for 2nd opinion na magaling sa pagaayos ng SiR?

3. My uncle happens to be a mechanic and he just advised me to buy a surplus cylinder head. How much po kaya surplus nito and saan ako makakabili?

4. I texted the seller of the car and he guarateed me that the car is in really good condition when I got it and he never raced it. Sabi kasi sa casa, laspag na yung makina dahil kinarera na. So I'm REALLY confused here kasi magkaiba yung sinasabi ng dalawa. The seller by the way is a nice person kaya medyo naniniwala parin ako hehe..

Ano pa ba masusuggest niyo saakin guys? First car ko po kasi to and la talaga ako alam sa auto. I'm just so inloved with this car so I took the risk of getting this kahit na alam kong medyo pricey siya pati ang mga parts. I don't wanna let go of this so papaayos ko nalang siya. I hope you can help me here.

Thanks tsikoters.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by aaquino08 View Post
    Hi Guys,

I'm newbie here and I need advice regarding the 2nd hand car I bought a month ago. I bought a Honda SiR 00 to a guy who guaranteed me that the car is in good running condition except that the radiator needs to be replaced dahil nagbabawas na ng tubig and tires are thin nadin. That was the only two probs that the owner advised me to replaced and wala na ako magiging problem sa car. So what I did first was to buy four new tires for the SiR so I can travel the car to Baguio and a week after, the radiator was replaced too. I thought wala ng magiging problem sa car but when I use it, I notice na may maingay sa engine kapag tinatapakan yung accelerator. I consulted my brother about this and he advised me to bring the car sa Honda Service Center for tune up.

We we're shocked when the Honda mechanics told us that the car needs general overhaul and I asked for a quote on how much I need to spend to get the car fixed. They handed me a coupon bond, written there are the parts that need to be replaced and the price. The total price was P127,512.00 . So hindi na tune up yung auto ko but instead pinalitan lang ng sparkplug.

I'm planning to get a 2nd opinion from other mechanics so I'd know the real condition of the car and the problem sa car. I just have few questions in mind..

1. Are the honda mechanics really reliable when they say the condition of the car?

3. My uncle happens to be a mechanic and he just advised me to buy a surplus cylinder head. How much po kaya surplus nito and saan ako makakabili?

4. I texted the seller of the car and he guarateed me that the car is in really good condition when I got it and he never raced it. Sabi kasi sa casa, laspag na yung makina dahil kinarera na. So I'm REALLY confused here kasi magkaiba yung sinasabi ng dalawa. The seller by the way is a nice person kaya medyo naniniwala parin ako hehe..

Ano pa ba masusuggest niyo saakin guys? First car ko po kasi to and la talaga ako alam sa auto. I'm just so inloved with this car so I took the risk of getting this kahit na alam kong medyo pricey siya pati ang mga parts. I don't wanna let go of this so papaayos ko nalang siya. I hope you can help me here.

Thanks tsikoters.
    there are a lot of competent tuners that can easily solve your problem. were is you location?

3. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Hi Guys,

Thanks tsikoters.
    I don't believe the seller na hindi niya pinang-karera yan or pinatakbo in a way that the engine would be stressed out. but OMG, 128K ang quotation sa engine tsk3.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    I'm not a Honda owner but wanted to help you with some points:

1. mausok ba sa exhaust? White smoke indicates worn piston rings or anything related to sa head - malamang tama din uncle mo na you need a new or refurb head. Black smoke indicates AIR-Fuel mixture problem - most probably adjustment lang. Amoy gasolina exhaust and you end up having alot of refill at the gas station.

2. any leaks sa mga gasket? I mean, yung mga gilid gilid ng makina. sa may pagitan ng head at engine block. Most cases ng overheating, tend to damaged the head gasket. since sabi na palitan ng radiator - mostlikey nag overheat na yan at naparemedyohan lang- theory ko lang.

3. try to check the oil - kung sira head gasket - humahalo na dyan tubig. also check mo narin radiator coolant baka may langis.

-- some lang na alam ko. - marami pa rito mas knowledgeable lalo na sa Honda Cars.

5. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Z View Post
    I'm not a Honda owner but wanted to help you with some points:

1. mausok ba sa exhaust? White smoke indicates worn piston rings or anything related to sa head - malamang tama din uncle mo na you need a new or refurb head. Black smoke indicates AIR-Fuel mixture problem - most probably adjustment lang. Amoy gasolina exhaust and you end up having alot of refill at the gas station.

2. any leaks sa mga gasket? I mean, yung mga gilid gilid ng makina. sa may pagitan ng head at engine block. Most cases ng overheating, tend to damaged the head gasket. since sabi na palitan ng radiator - mostlikey nag overheat na yan at naparemedyohan lang- theory ko lang.

3. try to check the oil - kung sira head gasket - humahalo na dyan tubig. also check mo narin radiator coolant baka may langis.

-- some lang na alam ko. - marami pa rito mas knowledgeable lalo na sa Honda Cars.

this would help him a lot, and other tsikoteers too like me.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Glad to be of help. Happy tsikoteering!

7. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    EKs, like that SIR, are very prone to cooling system problems. I used to observe that when I was searching around here before when I had one too (on an EG). Try searching here at tsikot re cooling system probs in Civics and you will find out you're not the only having the same problem...

Up^^.. You will usually see a grimmy substance which won't mix with the coolant. Oil and water don't mix.

If that's oil, there's a leak. If there's a leak, replace the cylinder head gasket (most likely it's warped)..

Good luck...

You don't want you b16a internals frying or combustion chamber erroded by water

8. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Hi Guys,

Thanks tsikoters.

When you were checking out the car, did you bring a trusted mechanic with you? Civic Sir's are very prone to engine abuse, chances are the owner that sold you this vehicle was not telling you the whole truth. Where is your location? You may try Speedyfix along Shaw Blvd. in Mandaluyong City.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    bro kung malapit ka try mo dalhin sa HONGLY malapit lang sa SM paranaque magaling sa honda ito.

10. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    honda techs are quite reliable, but their desire to keep up with parts quota sales can turn a simple tuneup job into a complicated overhaul.

my guess is that your engine has seen a lot of wear and tear na. assuming its on its 2nd set of tyres (at the very least), and that each set wears down bald at 50,000 kms, your car may have run at least 100,000km - and thats being optimistic. how was it run? i'm sure it was run pedal to the metal most of the time.

have the car serviced muna by experienced honda tuner shops (not the casa). do a full tune up, throttle body cleaning, timing belt change, valve adjustment, and oil change to plain mineral 20w-50. that should quiet things down a bit.

from there, observe the car. white smoke while running is a bad sign (its oil). black smoke is a fuel delivery issue. no smoke is great. park in a level area like a gas station repair bay, shut off engine, wait 30 mins or so, and check the oil. do this everytime you use the car for an extended period (like your everyday commute).

your engine should not consume oil, that is, hindi dapat nababawasan. the oil should always be at MAX level. pag nababawasan yan ng 1/4 every time na gamitin mo, that is a sure sign na lasog na loob ng makina mo (worn piston rings/bores/sleeves).

from there you have 2 options: sell or overhaul. overhaul will be the only option that would return the engine to its quiet, stable, brand new operation.

faced with a worn engine, i would probably just sell the car.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Honda Service Center, reliable?