New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2007
    How about if the car belongs to a fleet of a rent a car company and they recently sold it after 6 years and the mileage is still very low(about 39K on the odo). Is there something wrong with it or is it possible that it was tampered with? From what I understand, those cars for rent are supposed to be abused and really used p...Thanks...

2. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    At the end of the day we have to use the better part of our judgement. If there is even a shade of doubt wag nyo na bilin cause for sure patience pays a lot when buying 2nd hand cars....

3. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    kung rent a car yang oto tapos 6 years na at 39K pa lang odo.. eh mukhang mali nga yan.. baka pwede mong dalhin sa HONDA para pa check mo kung tampered ba yung ODO.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    just asked where he usually have the car service (casa)..then get the records from there....that's if casa siya nagpapa service....

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by LexTer View Post
    pwede i tamper yan. pero mahuhuli din pag dinala sa honda mismo. then sasalang nila sa computer achuchuchu nila. may nahuli ng buy and sell sa sta lucia mall carfair dati (gawain kasi nila e).

about sa baba ng mileage. kung tulad ko gumagamit posible. less than 5k a year lang tinatakbo ng mga sasakyan ko.
    tanong lang kung ganyan kababa mileage ng mga sasakyan mo, bakit ka pa bumili ng cars? hehehehe

6. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    even those european cars like BMW and Benz cars get their odometer tampered.
    It is just harder and more costly to change the odometer reading of digital guages. I know they hook up the cars CPU to a computer which has a program to reset the reading.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Natatamper yan. Yung iba buy and sell, they get and replace the whole instrument cluster. Orig yung odometer reading pero hindi para sa sasakyan na yun..hehe.

Our 2006 civic only ran 9tkms. Hehe. Nabubulok na yata sa garahe. haha.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Its definitely not tamper proof. And what these people doing are unethical.

9. Join Date
    May 2006
    I believe it can be tampered but it will need the right equipment/tools/gadget to do it correctly. If you try to tamper the chip there's a risk that you might actually reset the mileage.

Since the chip is electronic, using a gadget with the wrong wattage, voltage current or improperly grounded contacts will ruin the chip or whatever system the Odometer uses.

10. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by tidus1203 View Post
    Its not impossible, but its way harder to tamper than those analog odometers. Pagkakalam ko is nakatago yung odometer data sa isang chip which I dunno nasan.....

39,000 for 5 years is a little bit underused but different people have different needs so its very possible. Now if you say 10,000 pa lang now thats very fishy
    Actually, my wife has a 2002 CRV with just 11,000km. Why? Eversince my wife's folks bought it they hardly used it, It is the 3rd car in the house and ginagamit lang pang-coding na ang biyahe lang is from Acropolis to Eastwood and back! Since the car was given to my wife a few months back, Di rin namin ginagamit masyado kasi ang lakas sa gas, my wife prefers to use the Altis and I would rather use my MB kasi mas tipid sa gas kahit na ironically 6 cylinder yung MB ko. Now we have decided that the CRV has to go and were looking around kung ano ipapalit namin sa CRV, but the 2 final contenders on our list is the new Altis and the Fort 2.5 Diesel. (ayaw namin Civic Fd saka Sta. Fe)

On another note, I remember looking for a used Revo for the office about 4 years ago, one particular unit we looked at was in Kamias area which the owner claimed had about 40,000 km on it, when we looked at the car kita namin baklas yung dashboard, so there goes the lame excuse na nililinis daw yung instrument cluster. Sensing that somethings fishy I decided to pop the hood and have a look at the engine, Lo and behold! nakita ko yung sticker ng timing belt replacement which states that the belt was replaced at 97,000km!!! Umalis na lang ako without listening to the owners alibi.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Honda digital odometers - tamper proof?