New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    I tried the 7-speed auto both in D and S modes last Saturday and it sure was a fun driving experience. Maybe it is just me, but I find more zest in the car's response, even if ours is only a 1.3L iDSI jazzy.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    May I ask, did you find the ride more "jerky" when in 7-speed as compared to just 'D' or 'S'? Kasi nga based on the explanation of CVT, under 'D' or 'S' you should not feel the transition between gear change(infinite gear combination daw, di ba?). As in the 7-speed mode, the gear setting are pre-set, thus the "jerky" feeling. Tama ba?

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by IceT
    May I ask, did you find the ride more "jerky" when in 7-speed as compared to just 'D' or 'S'? Kasi nga based on the explanation of CVT, under 'D' or 'S' you should not feel the transition between gear change(infinite gear combination daw, di ba?). As in the 7-speed mode, the gear setting are pre-set, thus the "jerky" feeling. Tama ba?

Yep, that's the shift-shock equivalent in CVT.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    IceT: Yes, based on my personal experience, the ride was jerky because of the 'shift shock'. Also, "engine brake" appeared to be more pronounced in this mode. Lastly, I did not feel the "clutch slippage" that is associated with CVT.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    CVT: May term pala doon. 'Shift shock'. Newbie kasi ako sa A/T. Thanks for the info.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Hi guys! i'm new here. So far, i got lots of infos from the different forums. Very imformative. Have to try it also this weekend. But is the "S" mode really sports mode? Kasi nabasa ko sa manual nakalagay "Secondary".

Btw, is it ok to shift from "D" to "S" and vice versa while running? Sorry for the question, i'm new with automatic transamission.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by matty
    Hi guys! i'm new here. So far, i got lots of infos from the different forums. Very imformative. Have to try it also this weekend. But is the "S" mode really sports mode? Kasi nabasa ko sa manual nakalagay "Secondary".

Btw, is it ok to shift from "D" to "S" and vice versa while running? Sorry for the question, i'm new with automatic transamission.
    Yep. Been shifting from "D" to "S" when I need to overtake on the highway.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Thanks! At least now I wont be afraid to play with it.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by matty

Yup, the manual says it's "Second", but I think (and VTEC enthusiasts as well) thinks that this is rather erroneous. This is not the equivalent of D2. Remember that it's a CVT, and it has infinite gears and ratios, so there is really no 2nd gear UNLESS you access the virtual 7-speed. But then again Honda allows you to use the 7 Speed at S-Mode, confusing? yes it is! but think of it this way, if S stands for "Second" then the 7-speed mode at "S" is unitelligent.

Also check the brochure, it's Sports. ang gulo lang ng Manual talaga. You can also check the Temple of VTEC for a much clearer explanation.

For the other question, you can shift safely, whenever walang shift-lock e.g. N>R or S>L. D for cruising, S for a more fun ride. Altis is right, D to S for a quick burst of speed.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    thanks dragon for the enlightenment! Malinaw na sa akin. Its time to have fun with it. Will also check temple of vtec for more details.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Honda CVT