New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by IceT
    So, does that mean there's no difference to 'D' or 'S'?

Well, there is. For me, if i'm at D and I want to overtake immediately, I shift it to S. The CVT will go to a lower ratio for that kick you need for overtaking. But if you press the 7 speed mode, its the pre-set ratios that are used already. If you want to downshift to overtake, you step harder on the accelerator and the CVT will downshift or press the - on the steering wheel. Move the lever from D to S or vice versa, the 7 speed mode cancels.
    Last edited by Mguy; February 23rd, 2006 at 05:58 PM.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    There IS a 7-speed Auto Mode. In summary, (and as mentioned by Mguy) these are the available settings for the City's/Jazz' CVT

1. "D" or drive mode. -

Pros: Infinite gears available thanks to CVT. No shift shocks, very smooth driving. Most economical because the computer decides which is the best gear for your run.

Cons: "Rubber-band" feeling during metal to floor. It's so smooth that when you push the throttle, it'll smoothly and gently accelerate until you reach the top speed based on how much you pushed the throttle.

>>>>> Now, press the 7 speed mode and you switch to:

2. 7-Speed auto mode

Pros: Now, there will be virtual 7 available gears based on pre defined ratios. 7th is overdrive. Acceleration, is more instantaneous. Try flooring it, and see the computer downshifts as soon as your pedal feels the quick push. There, will be some obvious shifting now as you feel the car lurches forward as it downshifts, and your back being pressed against your seat. Still a very comfortable but more spirited drive.

Cons: Definitely less economical now, as your consumption will depend largely on how you floor the gas now.

>>>> Now press, either the + or - and you enter

3. 7 Speed, "D", Manual mode

Pros: Feeling a la Ferrari driver? Then this is it, you choose your own gear. Response is instantaneous. If you try to redline the car, it will upshift. Rev to your heart's content. The car now behaves like a manual with seven speed. Overtaking is definitely a whole lot easier now.

Cons: Gas consumption now is dependent on how you choose your gears and how you floor your pedal. And, now you feel the shift shock!!!!

>>>>> Now, try pushing back the stick from "D" to "S" for Sports.

4. S mode, CVT, Difference? Check out your RPM, it's about 700 RPM higher than the D mode, right?

Pros: Acceleration is faster than your normal D, or D-Auto. Engine braking is more harsh. Engine is noisier. The car, from the usual tame CVT, has now become louder and peppy.

Cons: Rising prices of gasoline.

>>>> Now press the 7-speed mode again, and you're in, yup

5. S mode, 7 Speed auto.

Refer to 2. Give a little more boost of amphetamines to the engine and that's it.

>>>>> Press the + or -.

6. S mode, 7 speed manual.

Refer to no. 3. Then shout "Amazing!" as you race past that slow poke traveling at 140 kph. I have attained speed of 180 kph with this car at the skyway, and I believe that it can still do a little bit more at this mode.

Cons: With the rising prices of gasoline, it's quite unfortunate that this car won't run on diesel or better yet kerosene...

;)

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Hmmm. . . i never noticed the difference between D-7speed mode and S-7speed mode. Have to check it out tonight. Man, gonna have fun tonight!!

4. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon21
    6. S mode, 7 speed manual.

Refer to no. 3. Then shout "Amazing!" as you race past that slow poke traveling at 140 kph. I have attained speed of 180 kph with this car at the skyway, and I believe that it can still do a little bit more at this mode.

Cons: With the rising prices of gasoline, it's quite unfortunate that this car won't run on diesel or better yet kerosene...
    Zoom Zoom?

:car:

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Ahhh.. . . felt the difference between D-7Speed and S-7Speed. There is more power in the latter. Good for quick starts but is flat as the speed gets higher. Gonna play with it more.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Mguy
    Ahhh.. . . felt the difference between D-7Speed and S-7Speed. There is more power in the latter. Good for quick starts but is flat as the speed gets higher. Gonna play with it more.
    Yes, I agree that it will gel flat, or more like a plateou, BUT,as soon as you reach the 5k-6k RPM, you'll be in for a BIG surprise. For S Manual, it accelerates real fast, flats out, then the second wind!

By the way, I don't know if this behavior is also exhibited by iDSI, since I'm using the VTEC city. Feel the rush.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Hey guys,- this is really informative. I've been using the car for a year now and have not consciously used the 7-speed auto mode. It's my *wrong* assumption that when you pressed the "7-speed mode", you will be on "manual shift" using the +/- paddle on the steering wheel. Pity pity pity,- because I used my van today. Kung dala ko lang ngayon ito... lalabas ako ngayon at susubukan ko!

I will also try out the 7-speed auto in 'S' mode. I doubt though that I will reach 180kph like dragon21. 1.3 idsi lang ako....

Thanks again!

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by CVT
    you will be on "manual shift" using the +/- paddle on the steering wheel. Pity pity pity,- Thanks again!

is it paddle shifter or button?

9. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    it's a pair of buttons. on both sides to accommodate southpaws.

Paddle shifters were never release here in the Philippines, but in Japan, they were.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon21
    it's a pair of buttons. on both sides to accommodate southpaws.

Paddle shifters were never release here in the Philippines, but in Japan, they were.

yes because paddle shifters came from the late 05 model fit..the facelifted ones..

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Honda CVT