New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    ang ganda ng review. the problem is Honda can't crank out enough of their CTDi engine to supply outside of Europe! HCPI Bring it on!
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Considering that Honda's Accord has one of the world's best diesel engines under its bonnet, the rest of the range has been surprisingly slow to make the most of the class-leading technology... until now.

The next model to benefit from the oil-burner is the CR-V. Complete with its punchy 2.2-litre turbodiesel powerplant, the 4x4 could finally have what it takes to leapfrog rivals in the compact SUV sales charts.

Ushered in along with a recent facelift, the new CR-V i-CTDi has some impressive statistics. As in the Accord, its four-cylinder engine produces 138bhp at 4,000rpm, with 340Nm of torque delivered at 2,000rpm. At idle, the quality of this cutting-edge powerplant is immediately obvious, with a quiet hum in place of a diesel clatter.

And although the CR-V cannot match the lofty performance of the Accord, it still teaches its rivals - such as the Land Rover Freelander - a thing or two about engine noise levels. When cruising in the off-roader's comfortable cabin, it is the whistle from the turbocharger rather than from the powerplant itself that's most audible.

The 4x4 scores over the Accord with its gearbox, too. Unlike the five-speed unit that features in the saloon and estate, the CR-V diesel is equipped with a six-speed manual as standard.

Well spaced ratios allow

the off-roader to cruise at 70mph in sixth at 2,200rpm, and the transmission itself provides a slick and accurate shift. The only downside is that there is no automatic option available.

But while the CR-V will never be regarded as a driver's car, it still offers a hearty slug of torque in every ratio. It is also got class-competitive handling and well weighted steering.

On paper, Honda claims a 0-62mph sprint time of 10.6 seconds - which is 0.5 seconds slower than the 2.0-litre petrol variant. But on the road, most people will find that the diesel model feels just as responsive.

With a £1,400 price premium over petrol variants, Honda estimates that the new i-CTDi will only make financial sense to buyers who cover more than 20,000 miles per year. Nevertheless, the oil-burner returns a class-leading 42.2mpg on the combined cycle, while CO2 emissions of 177g/km mean it complies with Euro IV emissions regulations. Go for this top-spec SE Executive trim and you will pay £22,800.

So the CR-V has suddenly become a genuine contender for class honours, and Honda predicts the addition of an oil-burning model will double annual demand for its mud-plugger. Whether it tops the sales charts or not, the Japanese company's first diesel off-roader has been well worth the wait.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    wow 340nm of torque! not bad! ... now that is decent diesel engine... i hate diesel clatter!

wish they'll bring this here....i'LL buy one for sure and forget my subic/used jap fancies..totoo ito..my wife will sure love this..(sana may auto tranny din)..kung worth ang gray import,why not..i'll buy still..

4. Join Date
    Mar 2003
    now that is an interesting development. sure hope that hcpi would consider bringing that piece of engineering over here

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    AWD, 6 speed gear box,138 hp and 340 nm of torque, Honda reliability= A WINNER !!!

6. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    nice ah. this 2.2 diesel is non-turbo?

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i-CTDi = intelligent - Common rail Turbo Diesel intercooled?
    Signature

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    baka may i VTEC din ???

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    yep it's a Turbo diesel!

And although the CR-V cannot match the lofty performance of the Accord, it still teaches its rivals - such as the Land Rover Freelander - a thing or two about engine noise levels. When cruising in the off-roader's comfortable cabin, it is the whistle from the turbocharger rather than from the powerplant itself that's most audible.

sana maisipan ng HCPI ialbas yung diesel engine na yan.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    ...somehow, the sound of honda and diesel and turbo in one sentence is...

nakakapanibago. :D

pero ok siya ah, nice specs on the engine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Honda CR-V i-CTDi SE Executive