New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Sep 2010
    mga papi need ko advice sa mga honda civic vtec users. I have my honda civic 97 model, stock ph16 engine. i want to get some opinions regarding about swapping my engine's cylinder head to d15b's cylinder head . do i really get an upgrade in HP? what i hear from people is that d15b engines have 20 cam lobes which really can be fast and actually cannot be left out with a breeze by B16A engines which usually happens with ph16 engines. yun po yung mga naririnig ko. i need your opinions guys regarding this matter. should i swap my cylinder head and magpalit ako to d15b? does it really give you more power than the usual ph16 engines? and what is the real horsepower of ph16a and d15b engines respectively? ayaw ko naman mag-upgrade to b16a engine dahil less fuel economy and ayaw ko palitan ng buo yung makina. please answer my queries guys! thanks

2. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Just leave it stock. If money/economy matters to you, just think, even if the engine/cylinder head that you swap consumes just about as much (which i doubt is possible) as your stock PH16, you still have an additional overhead cost from the swapping itself. I doubt getting only a cylinder head from a D15 will garner that much performance increase to rival a B16, if any at all.

Power comes at the cost of fuel efficiency. So if you really wanna go as fast as a B16, get a B16.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2010
    well thanks sir for your advice. i'm really not after the speed of a b16a engine. i just want to add a few more HPs under my hood. thanks for the advice though. the reason mainly why i do not want to upgrade to a b16 engine is because of it's less fuel economy than sohc honda engines. i just want to add a little more kick in my honda vti. thanks for commenting on this one sir.

4. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Read more Honda mini-me conversion on D engines.

This topic is way too much redundant to go into detail.

For short:

What is the real horsepower of ph16a and d15b engines respectively?
    Factory horsepower ratings at the crank:

PH16a = ~110 hp with VTEC-E(conomy)
    JDM D15B 20 camlobe= ~130 hp with VTEC
    JDM D15B dual vtec = ~130 hp with VTEC and VTEC-E (this is usually mated to CVT)

If you're swapping cylinder heads only, then forget it.

Unless you're willing to add P08 ECU or a vtec-fuel controller and dyno tuning in your list.

If you just want a little kick, do IHE, get a fuel controller and dynotune it. That's enough to smoke a stock JDM D15B.

should i swap my cylinder head and magpalit ako to d15b?
    Doing this alone without the "other" proper modifications would just waste money.

HONDA CIVIC PH16a