New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Hi. I'm currently looking at a 2002 Honda Civic Lxi. I just saw it and it looks fine to me. I want to check it further though. Ano ba mga basic na dpat tingnan? Yung RPM nya mababa sa 1 level kung idle. Is that bad?

Need your advice. Thanks!

2. Join Date
    Oct 2003
    You have to check it as if you're purchasing any used car:

1. mileage
    2. body
    3. paint
    4. kalampag
    5. tagas
    6. interior
    7. air filter
    8. oil
    9. engine noise
    10. lights/switches
    11. doors/locks/power windows
    12. electricals
    13. Registration/papers

3. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Thanks! But what's a better buy, a 2002 civic lxi or vtec? I'm looking for fuel economy and cheaper to modify.

please advise.

thanks!

4. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Lxi usually is more economical than vti. As for the mods, it's often the same.

The first mod you can do to improve fuel economy and air filter bills is to use K&N filters.

5. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    oil shouldn't smell excessively of gasoline and should not be black (running too rich)

96-00 LXIs share the same engine as the 2002. so expect the same engine mechanical problems as the older civics. look out for fumbling or erratic shifting automatics, noisy pulleys and timing belt whine.

other than those, 01 and 02 LXis are great cars . apart from the firmer riding suspensions they're great.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Apologies for reviving this thread, i saw a civic 2002 vti-s for sale here at tsikot for only 110,000. it was properly maintained up to date through casa, are there any specific parts that I need to check before the purchase? or is there any issues with this model 2002? btw, its M/T.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by giansweet View Post
    Thanks! But what's a better buy, a 2002 civic lxi or vtec? I'm looking for fuel economy and cheaper to modify.

please advise.

thanks!
    better buy for me is the Vtec. slight difference lang naman yan.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by d'flash View Post
    Apologies for reviving this thread, i saw a civic 2002 vti-s for sale here at tsikot for only 110,000. it was properly maintained up to date through casa, are there any specific parts that I need to check before the purchase? or is there any issues with this model 2002? btw, its M/T.
    smell something fishy.... masyadong mababa ang price ah. normal market price is around 220-240k.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 1D4LV View Post
    smell something fishy.... masyadong mababa ang price ah. normal market price is around 220-240k.
    Yun nga rin Sir eh, di ko rin masyado magets mga english niya, french daw kasi siya. nagtataka rin ako Diesel daw? Reason for selling niya, di raw nagagamit yung kotse, nasa haouse lang daw nila, hinihingi niya address ko at yung driver daw niya magdadala sa bahay for me to test drive daw. Tingin mo Sir, no deal na agad ako?

Part of her email:

2002 Honda Civic 1.6 VTIS

Year: 2002
    Fuel: Diesel
    Manual gearbox
    Mileage: 98,000
    Control Technique past: OK

BASIS FOR SALE

For my part, in my retirement just last December, I come
    to join my husband on a trip to the blue of an assignment
    out of the country or it must run an agricultural project.
    We return to France he and I in July 2016
    end date of the project and that is why the car was on sale.
    Before my trip I entrusted the car to our Broker Garage owner of
    countries to the proxy sale and take care of you
    the delivered anywhere.

10. Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Parang scam yata😯 hehe
    Too good to be true sobrang mura nyan tapus diesel engine? Try mulang siya na kunwari atat mung bilhin ung car, then he will ask you to give deposit and bayad pati pang gas. Pag nah demand cya ng ganyan.. omg scam yan.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Honda Civic 2002 lxi - what to check?