New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Has anyone experienced this with the City '04 or with a similar vehicle like the Jazz?

The "Check Engine" lights up pag may mga nadadaanan akong mababang floods or puddles of water, like kanina during the heavy rain. I observed the car's performance/condition right after and the car seems to drive normally; I proceeded to drive home (50km drive) dahil baka mastranded na dahil sa bagyo (I know, was risky, but the car drove fairly normal). Umilaw narin dati ang check engine light before during a similar situation, pero nakauwi naman ako safely and the next day it no longer lights up.

Yes, I do plan to have it scanned soon, any place recommended that doesn't charge too much for it?

Questions:
    1. What are the possible causes, specifically? I know its the water, but which component/s kaya ang possible na natatamaan nito?
    2. Any similar experiences?
    3. Where is the ECU of this car located?

Comments and suggestions please! Thanks!

2. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kotiko View Post
    Has anyone experienced this with the City '04 or with a similar vehicle like the Jazz?

The "Check Engine" lights up pag may mga nadadaanan akong mababang floods or puddles of water, like kanina during the heavy rain. I observed the car's performance/condition right after and the car seems to drive normally; I proceeded to drive home (50km drive) dahil baka mastranded na dahil sa bagyo (I know, was risky, but the car drove fairly normal). Umilaw narin dati ang check engine light before during a similar situation, pero nakauwi naman ako safely and the next day it no longer lights up.

Yes, I do plan to have it scanned soon, any place recommended that doesn't charge too much for it?

Questions:
    1. What are the possible causes, specifically? I know its the water, but which component/s kaya ang possible na natatamaan nito?

baka katulad nung issue ng mirage?
    Mitsubishi PH recalls Mirage GLS - News

3. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kotiko View Post

Questions:

Oxygen sensor needs to be replaced. Next time, don't drive on a flooded road.

4. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by LNopal View Post
    Oxygen sensor needs to be replaced. Next time, don't drive on a flooded road.
    Thanks for the tip, could very well be O2 sensor indeed. I'm planning on having the car scanned soon, though not too fond if the pricing of "scanning" but its still necessary.

The flood on the road I drove at wasn't that deep, maybe 2.5/5 of the tire, but could have very well reached the sensor...

Just an update rin: Check engine light doesn't appear anymore after a day. Still a cause of concern though!
    Last edited by kotiko; August 13th, 2013 at 12:33 AM.

5. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    How important itong oxygen sensor sa car? Yung sa akin kc pinatanggal ko na dati pa. Ano ba purpose nito?

6. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by wezz_zzew View Post
    How important itong oxygen sensor sa car? Yung sa akin kc pinatanggal ko na dati pa. Ano ba purpose nito?
    Depends which O2 sensor was removed: O2 sensor 1 or O2 sensor 2

O2 Sensor 1 (pre-cat) is used by the engine management computer to comply with emissions (closed loop). Removing/disconnecting it will cause the engine to operate in open loop. In other words, it will operate on a pre-programmed set of air and fuel mixtures to protect the engine from any damage. Doing so, you may lose some performance and fuel economy as most likely, the pre-programmed air-fuel map will be pretty much biased on the rich side.

O2 Sensor 2 (post-cat) is used to determine if the catalytic converter is still working. Removing/disconnecting it will likely not cause any performance issue but is there to inform the driver if the car is spewing more pollutants than it was designed to.

Needless to say, if either sensors are removed, disconnected, or has failed, you'll get a CEL.

7. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Yung sa akin tinanggal na mismo yung buong catalytic converter sa ilalim the kotse ko. Unfortunately, hindi na nawala yung check engine sa meter ko. However, mas naging vigilant ako sa condition ng auto ko dahil nga hindi ko na mapapakinabanagan yung check engine warning. Pag may nararamdaman ako na kakaiba, nagdududa na agad ako at hinahanap yung problema kaya minsan naaagapan ko agad bago lumala. Kung baga sa matatanda, alam nila kung kelan uulan dahil nararamdaman nila.