New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Hi guys,

I'm a car newbie and planning to buy my first car. I've been browsing this forum like crazy for 1 month now, searching for a good fit for my budget (300K, probably 328 tops ), and considering FC and safety features. My first 2 choices are '03-'05 Altis 1.8G and '03-'05 Civic VTI-S. However, my pals and I went to a car dealer earlier today (the one almost fronting Heritage in Edsa) and saw this '03 A/T 2.0 Accord with 58K ODO reading (though I doubt this) for 328K, and I think I like it. My main concern is FC since I live like 35-37km from the office (10km NLEX), though I'm planning to use it like 1-2x/week (to the office) only.

I'm having a hard time getting up-to-date info on this car model's FC and pros/cons, so perhaps you guys can help me out. Also, any issues with this model?

Salamat po!

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    If you're primary concern is FC, then you may want to reconsider. However, if you value comfort with some performance, then the Accord fits the bill. The 7th gen K20-powered 2.0L Accords is bit of a guzzler. If you can find a 2.4L model (K24 engine), this will give you better FC figures. On the maintenance side, Accords use more oil compared to standard compacts. Not sure about prices for parts for the 7th gen Accords but parts for my 6th gen Accord (98-02) is just about the same as Civics (EK, ES) of its age. I drive about 50 km on my daily route and I average about 7 km/L on my 2.3L 6th gen Accord VTi-L AT. I have driven the 6-cyl version of the 7th gen Accord back in the US and I find it quite refined but sportier than Galants or Camrys or Cefiros of its age.

Let's wait for inputs from GTi. He has both the K24 and J30 (6-cylinder) models of the 7th gen Accords.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Thanks for the very informative input, sir. My brother used to own a 2003 1.8G A/T Altis and he said he averaged 7-8k/L. His thought was that IF I can squeeze like 6-7km/L on the Accord, it`ll all worth it due to the comfort and other features that an Accord offers. I think he has a point though, but am a bit wary if I can pull off that FC 'coz you mentioned that a 2.0 is more of a guzzler than the 2.4 variant.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Not sure about how much of a guzzler the K20 Accord against the K24 model but maybe we are looking at 5-6 Km/L vs 6-7 Km/L comparison. Niky mentioned before that the K20 is not a great engine in terms of economy when matched to the weight of an Accord or CRV with an AT tranny. The K20 also powers the 2.0L 2nd gen CRV and the limited edition 2.0L Civic ES (2004-2005).

5. Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Thanks again sir.

Having read your posts, and as much as I like the interior and smooth ride of the Accord, I think I'll pass for now. I don't think I can bear with that FC (for now).

Thanks!