New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Hello everyone

I just got a used 2010 Honda City 1.3 automatic with 45k on the odometer. When I checked the spare tire, there was about 2 liters of water under the spare tire. The rest of the trunk was dry, even the spare tire compartment cover, carpet, and trunk sidings were all dry.

I thought that maybe the previous user drove it through flood so I just cleaned it. But in the past week from October 20-26 with very little rain in Metro Manila and no floods, there was again about 500ml of water under the spare tire.

Any ideas?

Thanks

FS

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Check the drain plug of the trunk.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Did a lot of googling on this as I have the same problem. Possibilities: worn-out gaskets of either trunk lid, tail light or rear glass. Best way to find out: somebody check inside the trunk with a flashlight while somebody hoses from outside. Now I just have to figure out how to remove the inner liners so that I could see where it trickles.

4. Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Thanks for your suggestions and input

FS

5. Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Try mo baklasin yung mga plastic cover parts ng trunk mo usually naka clip lang ito para ma isolate mo kung may makikita ka na butas

And as stated sa taas hanapin mo yung drain plug nyan usually its a black round rubber na nasa area lang din ng spare tire mo.

6. Join Date
    Apr 2013
    nangyari sa akin dati ito...driving an old 94 lancer, kapag umulan ng malakas sigurado may laman yung trunk, same din sa iyo sa lalagyan ng spare. di ko alam dati, while driving, para akong may dalang aquarium at tuwing pepreno at aandar e parang alon sa dalampasigan sa loob ng car.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    I doubt if it's the drain plug. Even without it, water shouldn't collect in the quantities stated. At worse (and without fording any flood), it would be a little damp but it should not leave a puddle.

Typically, water can crawl from different parts of the trunk space. It just so happen to collect in the spare wheel well as liquid tends to flow to the lowest part.

Common sources of trunk leaks are as follows, in no particular order:

1. Trunk weather strip
    2. Tail lights
    3. Rear windshield
    4. Rear under-bumper air vents
    5. Broken weld joints, rust or hairline cracks on the body

As suggested above, temporarily remove all trunk linings and carpeting to expose the metal body. If you can't find tell tale signs of water flowing (ie. rust or water residue) Close the trunk and spray the car profusely with water directed at the roof, trunk, tail lights, and both ends of the bumper where it meets the fender.

Dry the car with a drying cloth before opening the trunk. With a bright flashlight, check for signs of dampness and trace the path of its source.

Good luck.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Get a garden hose, then wet portions of the car, starting from the lowest, allow water to flow then open the trunk to check if there's water. Repeat until you find the suspect area.

For a leaking 2010 car .... hindi kaya na rear end accident yan before? And repair was lousy.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    My bet is on leaking tail light gasket.

Yung trunk kasi mejo may grooves yung edges so kahit sira weather strip, yung groove mag-guide sa tubig pababa at palabas.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    OT:

Tilapia culture inside the trunk. Anyone?

Sorry, I was just joking.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast