New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Guys, i need your help.

I have a 2001 civic vti and yesterday i noticed that the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (the color yellow indicator light that looks like a helicopter) didnt go off even when the engine is already running. actually i dont know what it's called but my friend was with me and he knows what it's called but he couldn't exactly tell me its purpose. i restarted it and thank God it went off.

Has anyone experienced this? now im starting to worry. what do you think is causing this? is this a major repair?

Also, i hear a squeaking sound every time i press the clutch. i tried to bring it to the car shop, unfortunately, they couldn't really explain the problem. they almost emptied the wd-40 bottle and yet the sound is still there.

thank you so much for your help!

2. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    about the squeaking sound when stepping on the clutch, not a major problem, it just needs lubrication. if the noise is under the hood then you have to remove the rubber-spring thing then just lubricate it and if the noise is inside or under the dashboard, then just lubricate the spring that is within the clutch pedal assembly..thanks and i hope this helps..

3. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    thanks, sir marcons.

Im not sure where the sound is coming from coz the mechanic had already tried spraying wd-40 in the clutch pedal spring and into the hole but still the sound is still there. Could you please tell me where is that rubber spring located?

What about the malfunction indicator lamp, have you ever experienced that?

4. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    with the question on the squeaking clutch... ive experienced this already. wd 40 yung sa may engine bay para mawala pero temporary lang daw yun.

that might be coming from the release bearing. what they did was, baba yung transmission then palit release bearing, clutch disc, and pressure plate para isang labor na lang.

with the sensor, sa ecu na yan.. nagbiblink ba? may certain criteria yan.

5. Join Date
    May 2007
    I have a 2001 [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]civic[/COLOR][/COLOR] vti and yesterday i noticed that the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (the color yellow indicator light that looks like a helicopter)

Hahaha! May helicopter ba! Oh! I love this.

Anyway, that indicator is the check engine warning. The lights supposed to come on for that lenght of time, if didnt come out after started then there is a problem, meaning there is something wrong in the engine. You must bring your car to honda shop to analyze the problem.

If the check bulb didn't come on you would have ECU problems.

About the noise on the clutch...theres accutally a mouse behind the clutch pedal of your car.... they like to squeak.

Okey.... so much that joke!

YOU WANT TO SOLVED THE PROBLEM! WD40 is only a temporary lube, and since after you spray some lube on the pivot point of the pedal and the squeak stopped, you figured the problem out. It (the pivot point of the pedal) needs to be cleaned and greased lubricate on the pedal bushing or quadrant cable mount.

Get a spray can of WHITE LITHIUM GREASE throw the WD-40 away now................The lithium grease is long lasting, and the factory recommends this on your door hinges, so its good for your paint too.......

6. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by archie123456789 View Post
    with the question on the squeaking,
    that might be coming from the release bearing. what they did was, baba yung transmission then palit release bearing, clutch disc, and pressure plate para isang labor na lang.

with the sensor, sa ecu na yan.. nagbiblink ba? may certain criteria yan.
    i think that's really a set when you replace the clutch disc, everything else should be replaced as well. so far my car doesnt shake from a standing position so i dont think i'll have those replace first. hopefully when i change those, that squeaking sound will disappear.

for the sensor, it's not blinking. it will suddenly appear even if the car is already running but it will also disappear. and when it appears, the car suddenly shakes and you'll really feel that there's something wrong with it. i've already made an appointment with honda tomorrow and hopefully that is not a major repair.

i'll just let you know what happened for future reference.

7. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by v6dreamer View Post
    Hahaha! May helicopter ba! Oh! I love this.

Anyway, that indicator is the check engine warning. The lights supposed to come on for that lenght of time, if didnt come out after started then there is a problem, meaning there is something wrong in the engine. You must bring your car to honda shop to analyze the problem.

If the check bulb didn't come on you would have ECU problems.

About the noise on the clutch...theres accutally a mouse behind the clutch pedal of your car.... they like to squeak.

Okey.... so much that joke!

YOU WANT TO SOLVED THE PROBLEM! WD40 is only a temporary lube, and since after you spray some lube on the pivot point of the pedal and the squeak stopped, you figured the problem out. It (the pivot point of the pedal) needs to be cleaned and greased lubricate on the pedal bushing or quadrant cable mount.

Get a spray can of WHITE LITHIUM GREASE throw the WD-40 away now................The lithium grease is long lasting, and the factory recommends this on your door hinges, so its good for your paint too.......
    Hehe. I made that helicopter description coz it really looks like a helicopter without a tail.hehe Anyhow, I've already made an appointment with Honda tomorrow so hopefully that will be fixed.

I think you're right, there's a mouse in there that gets pushed every time I press the pedal and if it starts to get painful, it will squeak.hahaha

I'll try to apply that white lithium grease but if the sound is still there I guess the only solution is what sir archie123456789 said.

8. Join Date
    May 2007
    Symptoms of an bad bearing are poor release, a mushy feeling ... of the throw-out bearing, which will not allow the clutch to release completely. Also most common symptoms of faulty release bearing can be growling or buzzing not squeaking... Save your money.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rna800 View Post
    i think that's really a set when you replace the clutch disc, everything else should be replaced as well. so far my car doesnt shake from a standing position so i dont think i'll have those replace first. hopefully when i change those, that squeaking sound will disappear.

for the sensor, it's not blinking. it will suddenly appear even if the car is already running but it will also disappear. and when it appears, the car suddenly shakes and you'll really feel that there's something wrong with it. i've already made an appointment with honda tomorrow and hopefully that is not a major repair.

i'll just let you know what happened for future reference.

It depends from one vehicle to another, although something similar to what you have experienced can be expected if the 'check engine-ecu' lamp turns on. I experienced this once too on our van, and the limp mode kicked in, while I was overtaking on a steep grade along Marcos Highway, going to Baguio. I guess I overstressed the engine then... I just turned off/on the engine and it disappeared. Never experienced it again.

Good luck on your car's setup. It looks to me like it will need some casa repair....

6404:pump:

10. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Guys, I went to have the malfunction indicator light checked by Honda and thank God it wasn't a major problem. It only cost me around 300 pesos. But before that, guess what they found inside/underneath the engine? A kitten!?!?!?! Every mechanic stopped working to see the infamous kitten.hehe I was shocked on how long was that kitten staying in there and how it got there coz we don't have any kitten or cat. Good thing it didn't get cooked.hehe

They checked everything and they said that they didn't see any problems but they reset something. They're thinking that the kitten was the culprit.hehe

The funny thing was before I left the casa, the owner of a crv wanted to have his car checked as well and he told the SA that his check engine is also lighting and the first thing the SA asked was does he have any dogs.haha Maybe he was surprise with the question on what's the connection.hehe

Well, as far as that check engine is concern, it's so far so good. But for the squeaking sound, I guess I'll follow the advise of sir v6dreamer coz there might be really a mouse in there.hehe

guys, i need your help, pls.