New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Good day Tsikoteers!

I just want to share with you what happened to my GM last week. Pinark ko kasi yung GM ko for the night, then kinabukasan nung pinaandar ko i suddenly smelled fresh gasoline coming from underneath. I immediately took it to the casa and they said that a rat has eaten through the main fuel line of my GM. So they replaced the part and cost me 3k to have it repaired.

Just an FYI, yung fuel tank pala ng GM is located below the front seats and not on the rear seats like conventional cars. Also, the fuel tank is made of PLASTIC. I was advised by my SA that they used a plastic tank instead of the usual steel tank for safety reasons. Sabi nya na in case daw ma puncture yung tank, walang chance na mag spark and cause a fire. Although I find that plausible, I think it is because of production cost that they opted to use a plastic tank for our GM.

Just sharing my experience. Ingat tayo sa mga daga. hehehe

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by airolynx View Post
    Also, the fuel tank is made of PLASTIC. I was advised by my SA that they used a plastic tank instead of the usual steel tank for safety reasons. Sabi nya na in case daw ma puncture yung tank, walang chance na mag spark and cause a fire. Although I find that plausible, I think it is because of production cost that they opted to use a plastic tank for our GM.

I would have talked straight and would have told the Honda S.A. not to B.S. me by using "safety reasons" for a plastic fuel tank in a City.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    I would have talked straight and would have told the Honda S.A. not to B.S. me by using "safety reasons" for a plastic fuel tank in a City.
    Agree sir. I actually told the S.A. "mas mura yung plastic kesa bakal noh?". Ang sagot ni S.A., "sir makapal naman po yung plastic at hindi mabubutas agad"

Good day sir!

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Agree sir. I actually told the S.A. "mas mura yung plastic kesa bakal noh?". Ang sagot ni S.A., "sir makapal naman po yung plastic at hindi mabubutas agad"

Good day sir!
    Sagot dyan, if plastic fuel tanks are so much safer than metal, what is the material used for the fuel tanks used for the Civic, CRV, Accord, Pilot, etc?

5. Join Date
    Dec 2005

Right,- the driver is literally on the "hot seat"...

Ganyan din ang fuel tank layout mga Jazz at City models previous to what we have now....

12.8K:toma:

6. Join Date
    Apr 2011
    It suddenly made me curious whether the civic, crv, or the accord has the same plastic fuel tank.

7. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    actually ok din naman ang plastic na fuel tank. as long as nasa standards and makapal yung plastic and flexible. para hindi mag crack.

ok kasi you wont need to worry about rust anymore.

8. Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy_boy View Post
    actually ok din naman ang plastic na fuel tank. as long as nasa standards and makapal yung plastic and flexible. para hindi mag crack.

ok kasi you wont need to worry about rust anymore.
    Good point sir crazy_boy. Actually, when the SA told me it was about 'safety', somehow may point din siya. I guess them switching to plastic not only made the car safer against sparks caused by the tank being punctured by rocks, but it also made production costs cheaper, made the vehicle a tad lighter, thus contributing to better fuel economy, even by a fraction.

What do you think guys?

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Good point sir crazy_boy. Actually, when the SA told me it was about 'safety', somehow may point din siya. I guess them switching to plastic not only made the car safer against sparks caused by the tank being punctured by rocks, but it also made production costs cheaper, made the vehicle a tad lighter, thus contributing to better fuel economy, even by a fraction.

What do you think guys?

The reason behind the plastic tanks is mainly a cost and secondly weight savings.

Safety was just designed later into the plastic tank by making it thicker.

10. Join Date
    Apr 2011
    In my research to find out why they used plastic fuel tanks for our GM city, i found this article:

http://www.plasfuelsys.org/benefits-plastic-fuel-tanks

Fuel feed line for 2009 Honda City