New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    my friend once told me about saving gas while cruising in neutral in his M/T civic vti.
    i'm quite skeptical about this, co'z i have very little knowledge about M/T.
    i don't know if this can damage the car's engine or it will just lead to higher FC.
    i'm now driving a 2000 honda civic lxi M/T for a month now from a ten year A/T driving experience with a 98corolla gli.

does this driving habit really saves gas?

2. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    I think your friend is right. Your car engine's running RPM is at its lowest while in Neutral - naka-idle kasi, so less fuel pumped.
    Yan yung ginagawa madalas ng mga PUV drivers natin to save on fuel.
    I do this too, sometimes (glide lang: hehe, guilty).
    Pero it's not safe, especially in emergencies when you need to urgently step on your brakes or on downhill roads.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Yes its true, one of the most effective techniques used in various economy challenges conducted here ... It wont damage your engine since there's no strain or load when in neutral

4. Join Date
    Oct 2010
    ayan din ang alam ko. pag M/T ok lng.. pero pag A/T ok lng ba na biglang mag neutral?

5. Join Date
    May 2010
    helps cool down the engine too

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by oldboy View Post
    my friend once told me about saving gas while cruising in neutral in his M/T civic vti.
    i don't know if this can damage the car's engine or it will just lead to higher FC.
    i'm now driving a 2000 honda civic lxi M/T for a month now from a ten year A/T driving experience with a 98corolla gli.

Cruising in neutral or coasting can save fuel by minimizing the amount of fuel the car uses as it moves. I used to do this when I drove a M/T car, accelerate to a certain speed then coast the car. Great when traffic is low.

Some even go to the extreme by shutting down the engine.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    ok lang naman... wag lang pag sobrang downhill. mahirap i-stop ang auto pag sumobra ng acceleration.

dati sinubukan ko yun muntik na kong malaglag sa ilog sa bandang alfonso, cavite. buti na lang na-control pa...

8. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Depending on the car and situation, you may even save more fuel if you keep it in gear while coasting.

When engine management detects that you took your foot off the gas pedal and you're going at a fast enough speed, the injectors stop feeding fuel into the cylinders, allowing the car's momentum to keep the engine at above idle. Once it goes down to a certain RPM, the injectors fire right back up to keep the engine from stalling. This is done so smoothly and efficiently that you'll probably won't feel the transition. You'll likely need to have a trip computer or digital gauge plugged into the OBDII port to show you how much fuel is being injected at any point in time.

9. Join Date
    Jun 2009
    pag m/t, pwede ito.

pag a/t, alam ko hindi ito pwede...mabilis ka tapos lalagay mo from "D" to "N"? correct me sirs if im wrong.

10. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by oldboy View Post

It saves you a little but it's not safe, like what the others posted it depends on the condition on the road.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
cruising in neutral. share your opinions.