New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Hello Honda heads,

Im posting this thread to get you opinions on comparison of two civic generation. This is my observation, feel free to agree (or disagree) welcome for sure are your comments,

engine: Vtec2 vs Vtec3
    if we talk about similar SOHC engine, my feeling it is the same output, but then the VTEC3 having a lighter engine, will have a slighter power to weight advantage. Durability I can say is the same.

body platform:
    A vtec3 body is definitely lighter than a vtec2 civic. It has a simplier stucture, and overall lighter frame. Having lighter frame, its more economical.

HAndling:
    A vtec2 civic has better handling than a VTec3 civic. This is because the the superior front suspension of the older vtec2, employing a double A suspension, compared to a simple single wishbone for the vtec3. A double A is definitely better road grip, stable handling in curbs, and smoother ride. Both have the same trailing link rear suspension.

Ease in maintenance:
    A vtec2 is easier to repair and to maintain.
    One big reason is that parts of the older vtec2 is more available, in brand new and surplus parts. This is due to the fact that the VTEC3 is not made in Japan. This model of the civic is exported to Japan from USA, Canada, Australia, Thailand and China. They call this civic FERIO in Japan. That is also when you wreck a VTEC3 civic, its so difficult to find replacement parts, such as hood, fender, or engine parts. Though the vtec3 engine is also the engine of the Honda Fit, or jazz locally.

Another thing though, If you are used the slow accelaration of a vtec2...try the vtec3..you'll be thrilled.

any comments?

OC plus racing

2. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    double post
    Last edited by aejhayl17; March 22nd, 2010 at 11:16 PM.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    imho, the ek civic offers lots and lots more than the 01-05 civic. if im not mistaken, the civic SIR belongs to the vtec2, thus regular ek's can be as fun as the SIR with the proper mods because they are identical in flatform.

i will choose the Ek's. its more of my style and its a simpler toy to play with. imho

4. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    the ES is by far the better car in my opinion.

i own both the ES and the old EK. ES has better engine, transmission, highway handling, is quieter inside and feels heavier and more stable at high speed. in short, for comfortable cruising, mas maganda yung ES.

only issue i have with the ES is parang mas matagtag sya on uneven roads kesa sa EK.

5. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    On looks, I go for ES with the eagle eye:

On handling and parts availability, I go for the EK SiR body, which I think has the potential to handle better.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Walang 'vtec2'.

Plus ng ES body is that it's newer and probably has less problems than a 10+++ year old car like the EK. This has nothing to do with off-the-production-line durability. It's just that 5 years down, you'll probably need to fix more things than the newer car.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ^mda is right on the spot.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    I`d go too for the ES Civic. Powerful naman din ang ES eh, VTi-S comes to mind. ;)

Mahirap makahanap ng fresh na SiR nowadays. Mostly, modded & nadrag na

9. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    the ES came out with a 2 liter variant, matic nga lang. bilis din nun

10. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tsupermario View Post
    the ES came out with a 2 liter variant, matic nga lang. bilis din nun
    k20a dohc ivtec

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
civic 96-200 VS civic 2001-2005