New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    good day to all.
    i currently bought a 1997 honda city ph13z engine, sx8 body. as per my mechanic friend the transmission that is on this car is not the OEM but rather a transmission of that of a 1.5L engine. now my question is, can i change the transmission of my honda city to that of a ph12 engine transmission from an EG?
    my current FC is around 1:8-9 purely city driving. i believe a honda city can run around 10-12/L. i was told that changing the transmission can help in increasing my FC ratio. is this true? what would your suggestions to achieve such nice FC ratio?
    btw, since i got this car last 1st of aug, already made around 3-4 tune ups. changed oil using synthetic. changed oil filter. changed air filter. and this its setup when i got this car: simota air intake (do you think this had caused the decrease in FC?), lowered by 2in, no sound system setup, 15in rims with 50 series tires.
    thanks in advance.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    City-driving economy? Changing to another stock Honda transmission really won't change that much. Changing to a shorter geared transmission from the smaller engine will increase acceleration, but won't have the huge economy effect you're looking for.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Sir what would be your suggestion that i should do to attain the average FC of a honday city?

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by waway View Post
    Sir what would be your suggestion that i should do to attain the average FC of a honday city?
    You change out the Simota filter for stock? If you can't find a stock filter, change your Simota to a K&N or similar (pics would help). Install a heat shield if it has none, also.

You can use economizing techniques to increase economy. Practice smooth driving. Observe how often and how hard you brake. If you have to slam the brakes often, you're driving too fast. The best driving for economy is maintaining a speed that easily allows you to coast to a stop at the next stop light or congestion point.

Other than that, the economy you get is the economy you get. You can get 10-12 km/l in the city if you're driving at times when there is absolutely no traffic. But if you drive short distances in traffic (or medium distances in heavy traffic), don't expect your economy to be spectacular.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    magkaiba po ang tranny ng SX8 and EG. Cable type pa ang SX8, hydraulic naman sa EG.
    And magkaiba din ang mounting points ng tranny.

You can use a EF tranny though, yan ang ka common ng SX8. Mejo mahirap lang mag hanap since luma na and matanda na din. Kaso 4 speed lang ang EF.

So kung orig pa ang mounting ng SX8 mo and 5 speed naman yan sa tingin ko orig pa ang tranny mo.

As for the fuel consumption, a city SX8 can go down to 8-9 kms/L kapag heavy traffic mostly dinadaanan and kapag maraming uphill roads. Yung 10-12 is ideal mixed highway and city driving yan with light to moderate traffic.

Yung 2001 SX8 namin gets around 8-10 kms/L and this car is driven around pasig mostly during rush hour. All stock except tires naka 185/65R14 na siya ngayon.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    baka po isa ito sa mga reason bakit tumaas ang FC ko.
    feel ko kasi may drag ung car ko, feeling ko parang palaging nakaengage yung brakes kahit na tumatakbo yung car. meron po akong ibang thread inexplain ko doon mga situation ko. sana matulungan niyo po ako. salamat po.

7. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    i also have that model of car though it's AT. my FC is 9-10km/l city driving (novaliches-tayuman, just imagine the traffic jam in the area) and 12-14km/l on highways going to aritao, nueva vizacya. i kept evrything in my car stock as much as possible...aftermarket air filters really increaes FC, also oversized rims and tires...

8. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    * waway, why not jack up the car, then spin the wheels to check kung may stuck up na brakes ;)

9. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Emong3 View Post
    * waway, why not jack up the car, then spin the wheels to check kung may stuck up na brakes ;)
    yun nga po ginawa nila sa shop at nakita nila na may kapit yung brake sa likod passenger side. nawala na po yung problem hopefully di na ito babalik at sana gumanda yung FC ko hehehe. salamat po.

changing transmission