New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2014
    to be frank i still don't trust CVT's reliability over the long haul. but i've driven them and they're actually my favorite transmission if you disregard the reliability part

i treat cars like appliances so i don't want any major drama for 10years. i just want to get from point A to B. i drive 80kph on the expressway really

you think these new honda CVT's will last 10yrs / 120,000kms?

2. Join Date
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Vodka View Post
    to be frank i still don't trust CVT's reliability over the long haul. but i've driven them and they're actually my favorite transmission if you disregard the reliability part

i treat cars like appliances so i don't want any major drama for 10years. i just want to get from point A to B. i drive 80kph on the expressway really

i owned a 2005 Honda City CVT. I logged 140k kms in my 4 years of using it and was able to sell it to a friend and up to now still using it. No transmission issue till now

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I guess if proper maintenance is done, those new trannies will last a long time. There are still a lot of old IDSI City and Jazz with their older-tech 7-speed CVT running on the roads so that speaks a lot about reliability. I guess the only failures with those old Honda CVTs were caused by improper maintenance (no regular CVTF change) or those who used ATF instead of CVTF.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    If that car did 140k in four years, that is mostly highway use, right? That should be fine.

If the car will see regular use in EDSA traffic over those 120,000 kms, I'd change the transmission fluid every 20,000 kilometers or less, just to be sure. Those with JATCO CVT issues in the US say that increasing the frequency of fluid changes seems to extend the life of the transmissions.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    For those older CVTs, Honda suggests a CVTF change every 20k km unlike their traditional AT which has a 40k km ATF change.

Anybody knows what the new cycle period of CVTF change for the new Honda cars with CVT (City, Jazz, Civic, Accord)? I guess you just need to follow that to preserve the tranny. Even after warranty period, you can buy your own Honda CVTF and ask a trusted mechanic to do it for you in case you don't have the facility to do it on your own.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Vodka View Post

If the CVTF oil change interval is followed then it should be fine upto 200k mi(if i remember correctly). Even the corolla/prius cvts and are doing over 200k-miles. some mirage cvts have gone over 200k-miles

most cvt failures are because owners are stupid at skipping cvtf oil changes. most forum threads come up because of user error.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    For those older CVTs, Honda suggests a CVTF change every 20k km unlike their traditional AT which has a 40k km ATF change.

Anybody knows what the new cycle period of CVTF change for the new Honda cars with CVT (City, Jazz, Civic, Accord)? I guess you just need to follow that to preserve the tranny. Even after warranty period, you can buy your own Honda CVTF and ask a trusted mechanic to do it for you in case you don't have the facility to do it on your own.
    It is 40k kms or 2yrs per pms checklist. During my 2yr pms on my city gm6, i skipped cvt fluid change kasi i was at only 16k kms. I'll probably change at around 25k kms.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Monte View Post
    It is 40k kms or 2yrs per pms checklist. During my 2yr pms on my city gm6, i skipped cvt fluid change kasi i was at only 16k kms. I'll probably change at around 25k kms.
    Here is one example of an owner skipping recommended oil change intervals.

Even if youre not reaching distance requirements. You already finished the oil life by being in traffic longer.

Owner thinks he is better than honda engineers.

Great savings este metal shavings lmao.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Re: PMS. Mileage vs Time. Whichever comes first yan. Hindi whichever is longer.

Granted pwede ka mag-extend ng konti pero few km or few months lang.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

10. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by red_one View Post
    Re: PMS. Mileage vs Time. Whichever comes first yan. Hindi whichever is longer.

Granted pwede ka mag-extend ng konti pero few km or few months lang.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk
    Magaling eh, kesa 16k(2yrs) sa 25k(baka 3yrs) nya papagawa. Lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast